Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more international recognition?
Miami 77 40.31%
Chicago 114 59.69%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:17 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Miami is INFAMOUS in Latin America and don't discount the population of it - upwards of 500 million people and they ain't just farmers.. As for Chicago being globablly well known for school/entertainment or business around the world.. I'd say in limited circles but that's about it.. In the U.S, the cities that steal the limelight in terms of global recognition are NYC, L.A, Miami, Vegas and probably S.F with Chicago to a less degree.. Anyway go ahead experiment in your travels.. I don't think most people would readily associate Obama with Chicago - they'd associate him as the American President.. Not sure about Jordon - there might be a name association but not much more deep than that.
Miami has very little association in Asia compared to Chicago. That was covered earlier in the thread too. Europe surely has Vacationers that head to Miami Beach. Miami city gets the glory. But Miami city is still very much a American city heavy in Latin flavor. But no one would mistake it for not being in appearances a American city, with its own poverty areas.

TV plays heavily in association recognition. Of course Miami in the old "Miami Vice" and more recently "CSI Miami" But not really in the Renown area. Young people in the world do have association with Chicago from resent Action movies destroying its Skyline. Also the 90s American comedy "Married with Children" in world syndication, gave Chicago some common recognition as set there and the shows Introduction at Chicago's Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park. Has foreign tourist ASK to actually see the sight from TV show when the visit Chicago.
Chicago's old Mafia Al Capone Era connection is still alive and well, even in the world. Chicago Blues association also.

Miami clearly wins South America and Chicago Asia. Europe might sway Miami? But far from a landslide. But Miami associated with the glamour of Miami Beach.... gives Miami a positive view? Even if it is not what in reality is Miami city? It merely reaps all the glory Chicago even with beaches. Does not have a Miami Beach next to it.

Merely my repeated opinion

Old 02-25-2015, 07:17 PM

83 posts, read 99,818 times
Quote:
Again another subjective list.. Look at the GDP numbers of cities in Nominal and PPP terms around the world... You might be surprised and Chicago will not be the 4th largest city economy in the world - its the 4th most important on a subjective list by umm Citylab lol.. In the end though, on their own GDP's numbers don't do that much for global recognition which is what this thread is about.. Bangkok has a smaller GDP than Chicago but far more visited by International tourists than Chicago as another example.

I think you're really confusing the definition of recognition and international travel, OF course more people would be going to Miami, who doesn't want to be in nice warm weather all year round? But is it more globally recognized? Hahaha helllllll no.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:20 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiUAE View Post
I don't care if 500 million Latin Americans care for Miami, that's great, this thread is about recognition.

Here's the definition of 'recognition' in case some of you forgot:

- the action or process of recognizing or being recognized, in particular.

-identification of a thing or person from previous encounters or knowledge

-acknowledgment of something's existence, validity, or legality.

Chicago is globally RECOGNIZED more than Miami is, there is nothing anybody can say to disprove that. Miami is a great vacation-spot, and that's it.
The last part is the most telling to me - acknowledgement of something's existence.. and in this case 500 million people acknowledge Miami's existence outside the U.S.. Chicago on the other hand - not as much.. It is an important global business city behind the scenes though but as recognized or as identified by as many people as Miami.. nope can't agree with you there but you're the type who will keep banging and banging a point with little room to budge so just keep banging away

Old 02-25-2015, 07:25 PM

83 posts, read 99,818 times
Quote:
The last part is the most telling to me - acknowledgement of something's existence.. and in this case 500 million people acknowledge Miami's existence outside the U.S.. Chicago on the other hand - not as much.. It is an important global business city behind the scenes though but as recognized or as identified by as many people as Miami.. nope can't agree with you there but you're the type who will keep banging and banging a point with little room to budge so just keep banging away
You started the banging, don't forget that

I guess you'll have to ask people from other countries, until then I know Chicago is a much more popular city world-wide as far as entertainment, food, sports, arts, finance, etc. than Miami is. You guys have some nice beaches and stuff, but you can't say you have much else lol, and that's where Chicago excels. If Miami wasn't the paradise it is climate-wise, it wouldn't be much of anything. Chicago has some of the most dramatic weather in the country, and look how far we came. And it's not even a COASTAL city LMAO, peace.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Is this a dumb joke? O'Hare airport is the 6th (was the first) busiest airport in the WORLD, Miami doesn't even make the top 20.... shhhh
just adding olé granddaddy O'Hare DID REGAIN busiest in take-offs and landings cargo and passengers this year.
O'Hare Regains Title Of World's Busiest Airport | AviationPros.com
They credit the increase in INTERNTIONAL TRAVELERS. Atlanta keeps busiest in passengers alone.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Miami has very little association in Asia compared to Chicago. That was covered earlier in the thread too. Europe surely has Vacationers that head to Miami Beach. Miami city gets the glory. But Miami city is still very much a American city heavy in Latin flavor. But no one would mistake it for not being in appearances a American city, with its own poverty areas.

TV plays heavily in association recognition. Of course Miami in the old "Miami Vice" and more recently "CSI Miami" But not really in the Renown area. Young people in the world do have association with Chicago from resent Action movies destroying its Skyline. Also the 90s American comedy "Married with Children" in world syndication, gave Chicago some common recognition as set there and the shows Introduction at Chicago's Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park. Has foreign tourist ASK to actually see the sight from TV show when the visit Chicago.
Chicago's old Mafia Al Capone Era connection is still alive and well, even in the world. Chicago Blues association also.

Miami clearly wins South America and Chicago Asia. Europe might sway Miami? But far from a landslide. But Miami associated with the glamour of Miami Beach.... gives Miami a positive view? Even if it is not what in reality is Miami city? It merely reaps all the glory Chicago even with beaches. Does not have a Miami Beach next to it.

Merely my repeated opinion
I agree with you except for the fact that I don't really think that Chicago is that well known to Asians..How many people in China or Japan or a S.E Asian collectively think about Chicago or Al Capone or even the Chicago Blues lol - Married with Children - really... It may be more well known but as well known to Asians and as recognized as Miami is to South Americans - not so much..

Old 02-25-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
just adding olé granddaddy O'Hare DID REGAIN busiest in take-offs and landings cargo and passengers this year.
O'Hare Regains Title Of World's Busiest Airport | AviationPros.com
They credit the increase in INTERNTIONAL TRAVELERS. Atlanta keeps busiest in passengers alone.
Remember a few things about U.S Airports.. Many of them are hub and spoke with an insane amount of Connection traffic.. The U.S is still a heavily populated first world country so having busy connecting airports isn't going to be that uncommon.. Kudos to ORD no doubt and increasing INT traffic is good but it still doesn't have the same number of International O/D traffic as Miami... Most of Chicago's traffic is the Aunt May from Des Moines is flying to NYC to visit her nephew and connects in ORD to get there type of thing.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
You started the banging, don't forget that

I guess you'll have to ask people from other countries, until then I know Chicago is a much more popular city world-wide as far as entertainment, food, sports, arts, finance, etc. than Miami is. You guys have some nice beaches and stuff, but you can't say you have much else lol, and that's where Chicago excels. If Miami wasn't the paradise it is climate-wise, it wouldn't be much of anything. Chicago has some of the most dramatic weather in the country, and look how far we came. And it's not even a COASTAL city LMAO, peace.
You've got this whole vs thing going on and didn't realize i'm not even from Miami lol.. I honestly have no skin in this game.. I'm married to a Venezuelan and found out HOW connected latin america is to Miami through my spouse. I didn't start banging this - i just added my 2 cents and people responded.. I agree with you that Chicago is the more interesting city - heck i've visited Chicago and haven't even been to Miami because I have more interest in Chicago by far but recognition is recognition as far as i'm concerned and life isn't fair lol.. Heck I bet Dubai is now more Internationally recognized than Chicago and that certainly ain't fair but it is what it is.. People are fake

Old 02-25-2015, 07:41 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Chicago is very unique in the sense that it is probably the least "global" of all "global cities" in the world if that makes any sense

and i don't view that as a bad thing btw

Old 02-25-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Chicago is very unique in the sense that it is probably the least "global" of all "global cities" in the world if that makes any sense
and i don't view that as a bad thing btw
Yes, Chicago has been called the "Most American City". But I still see Recognition/Renown as a twofold question and answer? Miami can win on Recognition affiliation? But in Renown, Chicago wins. For its history of American contributions, that the higher educated and intellectuals in the world know of.

Quote:
I agree with you except for the fact that I don't really think that Chicago is that well known to Asians..How many people in China or Japan or a S.E Asian collectively think about Chicago or Al Capone or even the Chicago Blues lol - Married with Children - really... It may be more well known but as well known to Asians and as recognized as Miami is to South Americans - not so much..
As for a Asian win in even Recognition? They do not have the celebrity recognition to Miami or its Resort status of Miami beach. But the Japanese surely are baseball fans. But they have knowledge of Western Celebrities and Nightlife Cities where Miami can gain in recognition there among its wealthy. The Chinese are clearly in the know of economics and that is a Chicago strong point over Miami too for them. Including Indians. Asians are in no need of Western Tropical Resorts? They have plenty of their own Tropical Paradises.
Chicago Blues in contribution to modern music is known more commonly by the older crowd. By the younger crowd who have knowledge of music. Watching UK episodes already of "Britain's Got Talent"? There was no shortage of Blues influenced singers.

Just more of my slant on it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World