Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more international recognition?
Miami 77 40.31%
Chicago 114 59.69%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 07:22 PM

471 posts, read 620,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Miami by far.

Miami not only with people from Latin America but Europe as well.

Most Europeans don't bother to travel to Chicago compared to Miami.
Miami is visited by 25 million tourists each year. Most are from overseas. Most people who visit Chicago are U.S. citizens.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:20 PM

2,946 posts, read 2,914,764 times
Economic and politically Chicago is clearly more relevant, but in terms of international notoriety i think Miami is the better, and has influenced a lot of cities around the world with his beach city style.
Also, as a city itself, in terms of urbanism/architecture/infrastructure/natural environment/touristic appeal I'd have to go with Miami. i don't want to sound rude with chicago users here, but, aside of his great downtown/skyline (second to only NYC) and some amazing residential areas, Chicago looks a bit souless and lacking as the third biggest city in USA.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:34 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,968,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Economic and politically Chicago is clearly more relevant, but in terms of international notoriety i think Miami is the better, and has influenced a lot of cities around the world with his beach city style.
Also, as a city itself, in terms of urbanism/architecture/infrastructure/natural environment/touristic appeal I'd have to go with Miami. i don't want to sound rude with chicago users here, but, aside of his great downtown/skyline (second to only NYC) and some amazing residential areas, Chicago looks a bit souless and lacking as the third biggest city in USA.
Soulless and lacking huh? What are you expecting out of the 3rd biggest city in the United States? I'm curious how it fell short.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:13 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Also, as a city itself, in terms of urbanism/architecture/infrastructure/natural environment/touristic appeal I'd have to go with Miami. i don't want to sound rude with chicago users here, but, aside of his great downtown/skyline (second to only NYC) and some amazing residential areas, Chicago looks a bit soulless and lacking as the third biggest city in USA.
You realize that Miami Beach is a separate city from Miami. Downtown Miami also is not on Miami Beach. As for Chicago being a bit soulless. Perhaps you want to give a further reason to use the term "soulless"?

But the term "notoriety" in American English means -
  1. is the state of being famous for something negative or bad.
  2. famous for a Bad quality or deed.
  3. is fame you get from doing something bad or being part of a misfortune or scandal.
  4. Synonyms- disrepute, ill-repute, shame, infamy
  5. Chiefly British- celebrated
I don't think you mean that definition?
As for soulless in looks for Chicago? You mean what exactly?

Definition- Soulless
  1. showing No Human Influence or Qualities
  2. showing No Emotions such as excitement
  3. not at all interesting or attractive
I totally DISAGREE the above meanings define CHICAGO. ONE MORE TIME-----example neighborhoods Lincoln Park Victorian neighborhood.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9227...exMrVJ0MAw!2e0

Lakeview greystones
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9481...r2YZMnvovA!2e0

Cragin Bungalow neighborhood
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9377...5ewA3soyiw!2e0

Pictures of downtown Chicago ...soulless? really
Attached Thumbnails
Miami vs Chicago (which city has more international recognition/renown)-chicago-gold-coast-downtown-.jpg   Miami vs Chicago (which city has more international recognition/renown)-chicago-river-.jpg   Miami vs Chicago (which city has more international recognition/renown)-millennium-park-chicago-..jpg   Miami vs Chicago (which city has more international recognition/renown)-oak-st.-beach-downtown-chicago-.jpg  

Old 03-03-2015, 11:26 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,672 times
^^ No one cares about these artificial borders. Miami and Miami Beach are one city for everyone but public service officials crunching budgets, or school districts, or things like this.

And tourists all see Miami and Miami Beach as interchangeable just like they do with Beverly Hills, Sunset Strip (West Hollywood), and Santa Monica with LA.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:18 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,283 times
Plop Miami down in the middle of the country and then try and convince people to come visit it.

I feel for Chicago. It's hard for cities in the Midwest to market themselves because they have to go against the grain of a coastal-centric media. They have to overcome the "fly-over" image which is a hurdle Miami doesn't have to jump. Put Chicago on Miami Beach, it would be an unstoppable tourist destination. Hell, you could put Chicago in the middle of the Great Plains and you still have yourself a world class destination with architecture, food, jazz & house, good transit, theater, etc. Lake Michigan is a wonderful sight, but it is not a primary reason for a visit to Chicago. In Miami, the city itself is second fiddle to it's own location on the beach.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:31 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,687,621 times
Gotta big ups Miami.
Miami is sexy. Miami is steamy and hot. Miami is crazy night life. It's indulgence, it's over the top. It's beautiful.

Chicago is derp derrp ...people like Roseanne Barr and John Goodman... cold, old, and ugly.

Last edited by OptimusPrime69; 03-03-2015 at 01:35 PM..

Old 03-03-2015, 01:57 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Plop Miami down in the middle of the country and then try and convince people to come visit it.

I feel for Chicago. It's hard for cities in the Midwest to market themselves because they have to go against the grain of a coastal-centric media. They have to overcome the "fly-over" image which is a hurdle Miami doesn't have to jump. Put Chicago on Miami Beach, it would be an unstoppable tourist destination. Hell, you could put Chicago in the middle of the Great Plains and you still have yourself a world class destination with architecture, food, jazz & house, good transit, theater, etc. Lake Michigan is a wonderful sight, but it is not a primary reason for a visit to Chicago. In Miami, the city itself is second fiddle to it's own location on the beach.
We get millions of European visitors who have closer and arguably better beaches than Miami. For example, the red sea.

Miami is not just a beach destination, it's also a party destination like Las Vegas. Not to mention, many people associate a specific lifestyle with living in Miami, which adds to the sexiness of the city. No one cares about museums or tall buildings. We have many tall luxury condominiums throughout Miami, not as tall as Willis tower but still tall, and no tourist cares enough to go to the top of them.

And really what do most tourists want to do wherever they go? Party, recover on the beach. Europeans anyway do due to their winters.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:38 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Soulless and lacking huh? What are you expecting out of the 3rd biggest city in the United States? I'm curious how it fell short.
Yea, that might be the first time in my life that I ever heard Chicago referred to as "soulless" or even "lacking". It's a lot of things, but soulless and lacking it definitely is not.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:48 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
We get millions of European visitors who have closer and arguably better beaches than Miami. For example, the red sea.

Miami is not just a beach destination, it's also a party destination like Las Vegas. Not to mention, many people associate a specific lifestyle with living in Miami, which adds to the sexiness of the city. No one cares about museums or tall buildings. We have many tall luxury condominiums throughout Miami, not as tall as Willis tower but still tall, and no tourist cares enough to go to the top of them.

And really what do most tourists want to do wherever they go? Party, recover on the beach. Europeans anyway do due to their winters.
You should say MIAMI BEACH LIFESTYLE. Also, no European nation has land on the Red Sea. The Red Sea borders Egypt and Saudi Arabia. Many European nations are on the Mediterranean sea. The French Riviera and Resorts on Spain's coast are their arguably better beaches? As you call it.

Those who have wealth can surely travel the worlds beach resorts. Or parents who do? I'm not sure recovering from a drunken party night, on the beach? Is something to boast of? Also they are not private beaches where anything goes. Even Spain's coastal resorts like Benidorm, Spain Benidorm - Spain : SpainGuides nice resort pictures on this sight. Apparently they have nude beaches too. Some might boast of them? They all share tourist with the French Riviera and even to the Greek Isles resorts?

My last trip to Florida. I did Ft Lauderdale and merely drove through Miami, on the way to Key West. I know that no one drunk would be allowed to sleep it off on the beach in Ft Lauderdale.

Many post go to drivel (Stupid or senseless talk) as I did a post because of it. With the Chicago being soulless comment, in a previous post,. Or sometimes we just keep repeating, the same comments? But some I can't resist commenting on.

I still separate Miami Beach and Miami city and do not see Ft Lauderdale as Miami either. Many other beach destinations also get these European Tourist. I met a few Germans at my motel who yearly visited Ft Lauderdale. Many use Miami-Ft Lauderdale airport for Ft Lauderdale to the Keys, or places elsewhere in Florida? Never hitting Miami Beach, or Miami as I did.

Seems locals will keep boasting Miami Beach? With Chicago, by its locals to visitors, or those as I, who lived there in the past, will also defend Chicago.

I continue to maintain the Original Title for the Thread, using both the terms RECOGNITION/RENOWN. Still is a two-fold answer? With Chicago clearly more things to claimed renown for and Miami perhaps common recognition due to TV shows ect. But if someone disses Chicago? I would still comment? Or when I saw the Red Sea comment in this one? I had to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World