Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more international recognition?
Miami 77 40.31%
Chicago 114 59.69%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:36 PM

83 posts, read 99,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
The problem is, it's not known for any of those things worldwide barring the smallest percentage of people.

Miami is solidly known for beaches, nightlife, beautiful women, fashion (Chicago is known for fashion, seriously!?!?!?!?!), drugs, Miami VICE, and so on. Chicago is known as an American city.

So you're saying the smallest percentage of people don't know who the Chicago Bulls are, yet one of their player's jerseys is the highest selling in China, Europe and Latin America.

Miami Vice, an 80s TV show I've never seen or care about. I only associate it with Miami because it has the word Miami in it. We have far more high-end Fashion boutiques in Chicago than Miami can dream of.

LOL so you're calling the rest of the World dumb basically? I can tell you that anyone around the World who has went to school or picked up a book knows what Chicago is. This whole small percentage crap is ridiculous to say, because you don't know that. My Asian relatives and their friends know of Chicago, opposed to Miami, and they live in 3rd World countries. Latin America makes up a small percentage of the World's population, so that argument is invalid. The question is which city has MORE recognition and is more renown, and that's Chicago.

Not to mention that Chicago gets majority of the benefits as Miami during the summer, including SALT-FREE/SHARK-FREE clean Lake beaches right in the heart of our downtown.

NYC can't even claim that, so if you think Miami is somehow better, you're kidding yourself.

Last edited by DubaiUAE; 03-05-2015 at 01:17 PM..

Old 03-05-2015, 01:35 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,152,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiUAE View Post
So you're saying the smallest percentage of people don't know who the Chicago Bulls are, yet one of their player's jerseys is the highest selling in China, Europe and Latin America.
Changing goal posts now,

Quote:
Umm... architecture, culture, education, sports, HISTORY, cuisine, music, world-achievements, finance, fashion and everything else Miami can't compete with.
Sure people know the Chicago Bulls but they don't know about your architecture, your culture, your education, your history, your cuisine (besides deep dish, and hot dogs what is your cuisine ?), music, world achievements, finance, and fashion (lol).

Old 03-05-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Changing goal posts now,

Sure people know the Chicago Bulls but they don't know about your architecture, your culture, your education, your history, your cuisine (besides deep dish, and hot dogs what is your cuisine ?), music, world achievements, finance, and fashion (lol).

Not that I need this list below to prove it, but I'm not talking about deep dish pizza or hotdogs, or even italian beefs and Portillos. I'm talking about World-class restaurants or restaurants with the best food available. Girl and the Goat, Mindy's Hot Chocolate, Au Cheval, Alinea, and many more. I'm not even mentioning our crazy amount of delicious ethnic restaurants. We also have some of the best steakhouses in the country.

Best Steakhouses in the Country (The best is in Chicago.)

What food/restaurants is Miami known for, cubanos?

Best Food Cities in America

Last edited by DubaiUAE; 03-05-2015 at 02:21 PM..

Old 03-05-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiUAE View Post
What food is Miami known for, cubanos?
Your variety of ethnic restaurants and your especially high end places are more numerous.

If you want a restaurant in Miami that will become a 3-star Michelin very soon, it will be NAOE.

But one thing Miami blows away Chicago on is seafood. Admittedly geography helps here, but I can go to a tourist trap place on Ocean, and order nachos loaded with lobster, shrimp. I can go to a little stand in little Havana and order Octopus tacos. We have fresher produce too.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Your variety of ethnic restaurants and your especially high end places are more numerous.

If you want a restaurant in Miami that will become a 3-star Michelin very soon, it will be NAOE.

But one thing Miami blows away Chicago on is seafood. Admittedly geography helps here, but I can go to a tourist trap place on Ocean, and order nachos loaded with lobster, shrimp. I can go to a little stand in little Havana and order Octopus tacos. We have fresher produce too.

True

Old 03-05-2015, 04:01 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,280,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Chicago its ok, chill!!

so you're not as important as you would like to be.... its all good, we still luv ya and your small town midwestern cornfield values!!!

y'all amazing in dem great lakes!
Irene Honey. If you are going to come into a thread to insult? America and Americans. Stay in the European threads where you live. You added NOTHING BUT A INSULT. ARE YOU NOT BETTER THEN THAT? Chicago may be in the Midwestern US. But it is far from a Farming town and the Great Lakes are a blessing in all the Fresh water they hold.

TRUE COLORS SHOW IN SUCH CHILDISH COMMENTS.

(again when I said to you we do not refer to each other as honey? In another thread. You said it is the way you are..... so I return the term back.)

Old 03-05-2015, 04:16 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
For shopping Miami >>> Chicago. You obviously don't do much shopping. But that's understandable, Chicagoans are not very into fashion like people from Miami are. Just walk down a street and pay attention to how people from Chicago dress. Then come to Miami.

Restaurants, I will give this to Chicago because you have more ethnic variety in food (Indian is better, Mexican is better). However Miami does better Latin (other than Mexican), better seafood, and better Japanese food surprisingly.

Who cares about museums? Do people actually go to them and have fun? The only museum I went voluntarily to was the Louvre, and I found it very boring.
Travel & Leisure ranked Chicago in their top 5 for luxury shopping, while Miami was nowhere to be found. Miami also has nothing that can compete with the shopping on the Magnificent Mile (Michigan Ave plus the surrounding streets), as very few places in the country do.
Home - The Magnificent Mile

The above link lists some of the stores on Michigan Ave, although there's more on the surrounding side streets, and streets a block or two over that run parallel to Michigan Ave. A more complete list is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...gnificent_Mile

I'm not even taking into account other shops and shopping areas in other parts of the city or the suburbs.

As for museums, many people do care. That's why they exist. If you don't like them, then that's your loss.

Last edited by PerseusVeil; 03-05-2015 at 04:27 PM..

Old 03-05-2015, 05:23 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Changing goal posts now,

Northwestern Memorial Hospital is ranked the 10th best hospital in the nation and is a part of the famous Northwestern University, one of the premier private research universities in the country. Not to mention the University of Chicago which has one of the nation's best business schools. So people do know the educational amenities that Chicago offers.

I think most people know of John Dillinger or Al Capone, the famous gangsters of Chicago through prohibition and the Great Depression, so yes people know Chicago history. Might as well add Michael Jordan to that list, been roughly 20 years since the reign of the Bulls, and he's probably the most famous basketball player of all time.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Northwestern Memorial Hospital is ranked the 10th best hospital in the nation and is a part of the famous Northwestern University,
I just heard about it now, didn't know about it before. If I just heard about it now, it means everyone outside the USA you can bet didn't hear about it.

Quote:
one of the premier private research universities in the country. Not to mention the University of Chicago which has one of the nation's best business schools. So people do know the educational amenities that Chicago offers.
I knew U of Chicago was a good school but you can bet most of people outside the USA do not except for the tiniest percentage of people. Did you know Ecole was one of the better technical schools in France and produced many great scientists and engineers? I bet you didn't.

Quote:
I think most people know of John Dillinger or Al Capone,
Well I don't know who is John Dillinger. I do know Al Capone. But most people outside the USA don't, and if they do most don't know his connection to Chicago. Do you really think Europeans, Asians care about American mobsters. Do you know any famous Italian mobsters? Or Russian mobsters?

Old 03-06-2015, 08:06 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,280,624 times
There seems to be nothing new to add to this thread.... that has not been posted. DRIVEL over who heard of Al Capone? Or if people heard of top Hospitals or Universities? Becomes just back and forth all been said already, adding nothing new.... waste..... with primarily most vs one person. All points have been made and the Poll left until it ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World