Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more international recognition?
Miami 77 40.31%
Chicago 114 59.69%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 12:07 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times

Advertisements

In terms of international recognition, Miami. It's not even up for debate.

Several replies bringing up obtuse irrelevant information about Chicago really prove this. Chicago being a better place to study macroeconomics doesn't do much in terms of international recognition. It's also a better city for pizza, again, simply doesn't do much for international recognition.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:11 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I was in South Beach last week. Ah, Miami... The U.S.' Third World Metropolis.

[BTW-- I'm not making this up. Miami was, and in some cases still is, known by that slogan. It's quite defensible. Once you get off Collins, Miami Beach really is very third world. Shabby, dirty. Much of greater Miami shares these attibutes. That said, it has its charms.]
Can't defend Miami here. It does get quite rough the further you get from South Beach. Miami can be a gritty, dangerous city. The city was built off of Cocaine. Folks in Miami embrace it's image of danger.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:13 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
In terms of international recognition, Miami. It's not even up for debate.

Several replies bringing up obtuse irrelevant information about Chicago really prove this. Chicago being a better place to study macroeconomics doesn't do much in terms of international recognition. It's also a better city for pizza, again, simply doesn't do much for international recognition.
That's my view as well. Chicago has probably produced more Nobel laureates and better pizza than the South of France too, but I'm willing to bet the latter is more internationally known and recognized.

Miami has been able to carve out a lifestyle niche that pretty much everybody knows about. New York has fashion, power and money, Los Angeles has beach culture and Hollywood (outside of the U.S., nobody thinks about LA's role in aerospace), and Miami has sexy. It's hard to beat out sexy.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
1) These Census Tracts do not include water. Chicago is far denser than Miami Beach no matter how you want to slice and dice it. Also keep in mind that the Loop has over 100 million sf of office space and at least as many hotels as South Beach, not to mention shopping of its own, a theater district and other cultural offerings (world class opera, symphony, ballet, and world class parks).

2) And you are the type of person who would live in South Beach year round in some dingy little apartment to be "close to the clubs and the shopping". Since you so freely tell the world details about your personal life with no problem, can I ask what you do for a living?

Listen, quite while you're ahead. I was a Miami voter. NOT because of DT Miami. NOT because I think Miami Beach is some super dense place (I live in SF, puh lease, and we're comparing to Chicago). Basically, because Miami is a world playground type of place for Latins, Europeans, jet-setters, celebrities, etc. World class beaches, resorts, clubs. That's what makes Miami so international. And really only for the past 2 decades.
Not to be nitpicky, but Miami Beach also has a world class ballet company. Miami City Ballet is tops in the nation.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:15 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Can't defend Miami here. It does get quite rough the further you get from South Beach. Miami can be a gritty, dangerous city. The city was built off of Cocaine. Folks in Miami embrace it's image of danger.
Miami needs to lose that image. It's not very dangerous anymore. I had a quick look, and on city data for 2012, Miami had an homicide rate of 16.7 per 100k.

We could be lower, but Chicago is probably higher, not to mention the city limits of Chicago have about 4-5 times as many people as Miami's city limits.

Chicago is the more dangerous city.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's my view as well. Chicago has probably produced more Nobel laureates and better pizza than the South of France too, but I'm willing to bet the latter is more internationally known and recognized.

Miami has been able to carve out a lifestyle niche that pretty much everybody knows about. New York has fashion, power and money, Los Angeles has beach culture and Hollywood (outside of the U.S., nobody thinks about LA's role in aerospace), and Miami has sexy. It's hard to beat out sexy.
It is, what it is.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:18 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Miami needs to lose that image. It's not very dangerous anymore. I had a quick look, and on city data for 2012, Miami had an homicide rate of 16.7 per 100k.

We could be lower, but Chicago is probably higher, not to mention the city limits of Chicago have about 4-5 times as many people as Miami's city limits.

I don't really like Miami or South Florida that much but in terms of safety it really is not that dangerous I agree with that. If you act like you are loaded and you have tons of money and you are a bimbo or meat head you might get robbed in Miami or Miami Beach but other than that it is a pretty safe city never had a problem. As for the question it could be a tie, Miami is known as an international tourist city but Chicago gets citizens who move there from all over the world as well.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post

I don't know. If you were to compare Englewood(Chicago) to Liberty City, it'd be a pretty even contest.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:23 PM

I've been to many ghetto neighborhoods in Miami(Overtown, Liberty City, Little Haiti, Miami Gardens), while these places may be rough around the edges, Southern hospitality is still in abundance in and around these neighborhoods(including Little Haiti). Folks are really kind, in the REAL Miami.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:52 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I've been to many ghetto neighborhoods in Miami(Overtown, Liberty City, Little Haiti, Miami Gardens), while these places may be rough around the edges, Southern hospitality is still in abundance in and around these neighborhoods(including Little Haiti). Folks are really kind, in the REAL Miami.
Those places are all poor, depressed and boring with the exception of Little Haiti. I like little Haiti because there are some interesting food stands and culture, but Liberty City you can see in every American city. All Miami adds are palm trees and colorful buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World