Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Japan vs Italy ( east Asia vs europe)
Japan 31 52.54%
Italy 28 47.46%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 06:38 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times

Advertisements

[quote=AFP;38572676]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I don't have a chip on my shoulders... I don't see europeans as white people, I am in fact white if you look at me (some Europeans in the forum have seen me).

What I don't like is the western self-obsession and this idea that they are perfect and everyone else is ****ed up

the one calling me anti-european and anti-american is a race obsessed canadian.... the same kind like those americans that come here and constantly talk about skin colors and races etc.[/QUOTE

Could you clarify the statement "I don't see Europeans as white people, I am in fact white" I really do think that was a sub-conscious slip you may want to look at it more closely.

In your country of origin you are white. In Europe you are viewed as non-white. In the United States you are viewed for the most part a non-white. Is it troubling for you that others view you different than you view yourself?
You are aware that ''White' is a colour, right? You do know where the term comes from? Now I'm not saying that I don't use that term but I would feel sad if a English person described themselves as White instead of English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 06:41 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,625 times
In America people were often surprised I spoke spanish.... they expect you to look like speedy gonzalez!!

but its just not me, I had Colombian acquaintances in America who were black and one of chinese heritage and people looked at them like strange creatures from out of space when they spoke spanish.... even the mexicans born in the US would do that.... it is so irritating!!!

Old 02-24-2015, 06:41 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084;38571566[B
]Europe doesn't have one country advanced as Japan and only the US and maybe South Korea can rival Japan in terms of overall technology[/b]. I know this because I stay in Germany now, lived in Japan and I'm from the US.

If North America was tolerant then the native population would still be there.

If Europe was tolerant you wouldn't see all of these complaining on TV about Africans, Arabs and others living in their countries...What's even funnier about this is the fact that Europeans somehow landed in Africa and Asia to live and think it's alright....
What does advanced mean to you ?
And yes there are countries as advanced as Japan in Europe: Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Finland... that was easy.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
And yes there are countries as advanced as Japan in Europe: Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Finland... that was easy.
Switzerland advanced? :roll eyes:

you mean RICH?

yes.... Switzerland is VERY WEALTHY, just about everyone here has a great standard of living, salaries are huge, even the cashier ladies at the supermarket can afford to go overseas on holidays yearly!!!

but I wouldnt call it advanced!

having to make an appointment two weeks in advance to open a bank account, from having to go thru a regional housing office in order to find a flat to live and fill out a mountain of paper work in the process is not exactly efficient and advanced!!!

or having to ask permission to the regional canton in case you want to leave and move to another swiss canton and then having re-register there and ask for permission to be allowed to live there, even though you already live in Switzerland is not very advanced!!!

rich yes, advanced... hmmmm

Old 02-24-2015, 08:02 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
Quote:

Lies you tell....As for as technological advancement....Japan, the US, and maybe South Korea is in a league of it's own....

And you're giving examples of countries with less than 10 million people that "should" be but they're not...

Every country in Europe feels at least 10 years behind in my opinion.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Switzerland advanced? :roll eyes:

you mean RICH?

yes.... Switzerland is VERY WEALTHY, just about everyone here has a great standard of living, salaries are huge, even the cashier ladies at the supermarket can afford to go overseas on holidays yearly!!!

but I wouldnt call it advanced!

having to make an appointment two weeks in advance to open a bank account, from having to go thru a regional housing office in order to find a flat to live and fill out a mountain of paper work in the process is not exactly efficient and advanced!!!

or having to ask permission to the regional canton in case you want to leave and move to another swiss canton and then having re-register there and ask for permission to be allowed to live there, even though you already live in Switzerland is not very advanced!!!

rich yes, advanced... hmmmm
high standard of living= being advanced to me.
Bureaucracy doesn't change that to me.
There's no perfect way to say which country is more advanced than another country.
But there are some attempts, and well Switzerland does better in these attempts them than both Japan and South Korea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...an_development

Old 02-24-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Lies you tell....As for as technological advancement....Japan, the US, and maybe South Korea is in a league of it's own....

And you're giving examples of countries with less than 10 million people that "should" be but they're not...

Every country in Europe feels at least 10 years behind in my opinion.
No that's simply your opinion. Get off you high horse and don't present it as fact.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:13 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
Quote:
No that's simply your opinion. Get off you high horse and don't present it as fact.
Most advanced countries I've lived in.

1A) Japan
1B) US
2. South Korea
3. Germany
4. Italy

No high horse here if you don't like it, oh well..

Yes 10 years is an opinion, it could be more like 20 years...

Old 02-24-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
high standard of living= being advanced to me.
Bureaucracy doesn't change that to me.
There's no perfect way to say which country is more advanced than another country.
But there are some attempts, and well Switzerland does better in these attempts them than both Japan and South Korea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...an_development
rich is not advanced

advanced is being able to pay with your bank card everywhere you go
(I can't count the many times I have to look for a bank machine so I can pay because they don't take cards).

advanced is being able to use your cellphone to pay bills wherever you are in a matter of seconds... in japan you can use your cellphone as a credit card, did you know that?
(here in switzerland is mostly the good old write down the payment and your bank account on the bill and go to the post office before they close so you can pay there, like in the 1970's!!!)

Advanced is calling the internet provider and asking them for service and having them switch the internet from their headquarters in less than one hour after you pay via phone (like they do in japan)
in europe you still have to wait two weeks on average to get internet, the technician comes between the hours of 10am and 2 pm to connect it so you better be there!!!

honey I lived in Japan.... europe feels like I am in the 90's when it comes to advancement... in fact I also lived in Colombia (Considered a developing country) and they are in several ways (banking, internet service, paying with card) far more advanced than Europe!! in Colombia it takes 45 minutes to open a bank account, an afternoon to get internet, and you pay all your bills online!

Old 02-24-2015, 09:18 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
rich is not advanced

advanced is being able to pay with your bank card everywhere you go
(I can't count the many times I have to look for a bank machine so I can pay because they don't take cards).

advanced is being able to use your cellphone to pay bills wherever you are in a matter of seconds... in japan you can use your cellphone as a credit card, did you know that?
(here in switzerland is mostly the good old write down the payment and your bank account on the bill and go to the post office before they close so you can pay there, like in the 1970's!!!)

Advanced is calling the internet provider and asking them for service and having them switch the internet from their headquarters in less than one hour after you pay via phone (like they do in japan)
in europe you still have to wait two weeks on average to get internet, the technician comes between the hours of 10am and 2 pm to connect it so you better be there!!!

honey I lived in Japan.... europe feels like I am in the 90's when it comes to advancement... in fact I also lived in Colombia (Considered a developing country) and they are in several ways (banking, internet service, paying with card) far more advanced than Europe!! in Colombia it takes 45 minutes to open a bank account, an afternoon to get internet, and you pay all your bills online!
That's called Asia, not advanced. Taiwan can do what you said as quickly as Japan does, yet I've never heard anybody described us as "advanced".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World