Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 02:04 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,879,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Trained Roma Gypsies in Paris know how to take things from you without any scruples.
The only Gypsies who got my wallet hit me down on the street with force. And it was here in safe Finland.

But anyway, put your wallet in your left pocket of your trousers, and twice a minute put your hand in it to check the wallet's still there. And keep your hand in your pocket every time you pass a suspicious crowd. I can guarantee you nowbody will get your purse.

And where did that "keep a 10 in your sock" strategy go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 02:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,170,782 times
You shouldn't be watching your wallet at all. You should have your valuables in a secure money-belt, strapped under your clothing. Never open it or reach into it in a public place, carry only as much money ready at hand as you will need while you are out.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-22-2015 at 02:49 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 02:53 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,878,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You shouldn't be watching your wallet at all. You should have your valuables in a secure money-belt, strapped under your clothing. Never open it or reach into it in a public place, carry only as much money ready at hand as you will need while you are out.
LOL

Talk about paranoia to the extreme.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:13 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,879,735 times
In Asia and Africa, a money belt is a good option. In Europe it's hardly needed.

Of course a GUN is the best option. Have a magnum in your belt and blast the Viet Cong's brains out! Then order some B-52's for an air strike. (Sorry, couldn't help it.)

In Russia again the attacker will rob you and shoot himself, as he's so drunk.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:31 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,823,741 times
While i have never felt threatened when vsiting Rome or Barcelona, i've seen a fair amount of pickpocketers, in Rome the metro is full of them, they're either women or children who use ploys to distract you and rob you, in one of the side streets close to the Coliseum, many wallets who have been emptied by pickpocket can be found

Old 02-22-2015, 05:40 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,994,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Barcelona at #1?

Didn't even read the article further, couldn't bear it. I've been many times in that city and I find it extremely safe. Was that some article as a warning to stupid American tourists?
This list is clearly and most defntiely BS, and shows the author has very limited exposure to the "world". According to her, the "world"'s worst cities for pickpocketing, 8/10 are in Europe, 1 in Latin America, 1 in Asia. I call BS. The worst cities in the world for pickpocketing would most definitely be mostly in Latin America, followed by Africa

Old 02-22-2015, 05:52 PM

27,692 posts, read 28,810,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
This list is clearly and most defntiely BS, and shows the author has very limited exposure to the "world". According to her, the "world"'s worst cities for pickpocketing, 8/10 are in Europe, 1 in Latin America, 1 in Asia. I call BS. The worst cities in the world for pickpocketing would most definitely be mostly in Latin America, followed by Africa
I think it's because European countries have far more (western) tourists than Latin America or Africa. So, the actions of pickpockets are much more noticeable in Europe.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:01 PM

723 posts, read 808,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Somebody is afraid of looking at himself in a mirror !

Old 02-22-2015, 06:05 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,994,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Somebody is afraid of looking at himself in a mirror !
I don't get what you're saying.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,217,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Only inexperienced travellers even get identified as tourists. Ok, it's a bit harder like in Thailand, but just act as the locals and the "pickpockets" think you're an expat.

Of course if you have your wallet in your back pocket, you deserve to be robbed. I might rob you just to teach you a lesson.

I can assure you - if you come visit the US, we'll know you're a tourist - no matter where you keep your debit/credit cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World