Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 01:14 PM

514 posts, read 471,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Who cares about Dawkins? You seem to think atheism or religion is a person's defining trait.

I don't see that you've put your arguments in a strong position. Every time you try to explain your rationale, you diverge from the single notion that is atheism.You just keep presenting subjective views from individuals who share a single core belief with me -big deal.

Now, how about the doctrine of atheism?
I've already told you. Please pay attention.

Atheism: "The belief that there is no God."

Doctrine: "A belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a church, political party, or other group."

Some contingent beliefs:

"There is no higher morality other than man."
"There is (in the universe), at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 01:23 PM

969 posts, read 826,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Sorry for being so upfront but I'm very curious about this I would like to ask a couple of questions if you don't mind, so you don't believe in a Deity that created that is what I understand.

Do you believe that there is organized energy working together? I'm specifically thinking about life cycles the plants the solar system. I'm just curious how most atiests view that, I'm asking because my lack of belief and belief is still a work in progress.
Sounds a bit like a kind of pantheism where everything is an interlinked energy or where nature is "God".

I've been down the new age route reading about stuff like "Earth energies", "the Gaia hypothesis" and other esoterica, and my conclusion is that it is downright dangerous. There are many people who follow it who, after years of so-called "enlightenment" become dangerously uncoupled from reality and lose their minds. Recommended as a lifestyle choice if you want a reasonably reliable way to destroy your sanity.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:24 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,719,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Sorry for being so upfront but I'm very curious about this I would like to ask a couple of questions if you don't mind, so you don't believe in a Deity that created that is what I understand.

Do you believe that there is organized energy working together? I'm specifically thinking about life cycles the plants the solar system. I'm just curious how most atiests view that, I'm asking because my lack of belief and belief is still a work in progress.
I don't really know. Inorganic matter has properties, and chemistry arises from that, which gives rise to organic matter -life. I don't have any theories of why matter has properties, or why it even exists. I think humanity or any living creature, may be the closest thing to some sort of self awareness for existence.

I look to the promise of science for answers, although questions of "why?", may be beyond science. Easy to see why religious belief exists.

Atheism isn't really about answers imo, that's more of a religious thing.

Last edited by Joe90; 02-27-2015 at 01:38 PM..

Old 02-27-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
I've already told you. Please pay attention.

Atheism: "The belief that there is no God."

Doctrine: "A belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a church, political party, or other group."

Some contingent beliefs:

"There is no higher morality other than man."
"There is (in the universe), at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference."
I'm not sure about point one, and point two is pure garbage imo.

How about those doctrines of atheism?

Old 02-27-2015, 01:29 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,914,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
Sounds a bit like pantheism where everything is an interlinked energy.

I've been down the new age route and it isn't a pretty sight, in many cases downright dangerous. There are many people in it who are dangerously uncoupled from reality and have a dangerously unstable grasp of reality.
I understand I'm not a follower I'm just curious my thoughts aren't set in stone I like hearing different perspectives. I just don't think I really have a good understanding of the what it means to be athiest yet I suspect it is different for different people but I'm not sure.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:35 PM

514 posts, read 471,613 times
Quote:
I'm not sure about point one, and point two is pure garbage imo.
If you disagree with their definitions, maybe you'd like to write a letter to the Stanford Encyclopedia, which is pretty much the gold standard online reference for philosophy, and explain to them why they're wrong?

Old 02-27-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
If you disagree with their definitions, maybe you'd like to write a letter to the Stanford Encyclopedia, which is pretty much the gold standard online reference for philosophy, and explain to them why they're wrong?
Pointless exercise with subjective definitions.

Have you got those doctrines of atheism there, by any chance ?.... I was hoping to get a look at them.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:39 PM

969 posts, read 826,732 times
Quote:
Pointless exercise with subjective definitions.
Definitions aren't subjective. They're consensus standards. Something fundamentally different.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
Definitions aren't subjective. They're consensus standards. Something fundamentally different.
I see, the "not a real atheist" routine.

Are you saying all atheists must believe this?

Old 02-27-2015, 01:43 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,914,188 times
Quote:
I don't really know. Inorganic matter has properties, and chemistry arises from that, which gives rise to organic matter -life. I don't have any theories of why matter has properties, or why it even exists. I think humanity or any living creature, may be the closest thing to some sort of self awareness for existence.

I look to the promise of science for answers, although questions of "why?", may be beyond science. Easy to see why religious belief exists.

Atheism isn't really about answers imo, that's more of a religious thing.
Thanks for your your honest response I appreciate that very helpful actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World