Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 10:01 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Have you?

I have actually studied Africa, I have written several essays (University) on why it became such an underdeveloped continent. I'm quite aware of the situation on the continent.
If you studied about the continent you'd understand that saying the continent is ''dirt poor'' is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Thing is, these cities, heck, these countries don't function properly - far below the standards of what we are used to in Europe. I know that you are some self-elected Africa ambassador, but the simple fact of the matter is most African cities are desperately poor and rundown, most people live in squalor, can barely afford to eat, and are at high risk of all sorts of diseases and illnesses. Why do you think people in Zimbabwe die at 58 years on average?

Life is not rosy in Africa, unless you are rich and can live in a gated community away from the poor people. The reality for the average Nigerian is poverty, chaos, civil war, bombs and other nonsense. Consider yourself lucky to live in the 'ignorant West' and not some rundown hellhole in sub-Saharan Africa - because if you did, you would not even be posting on here. In fact, you would have probably died at birth, and your mother would need 10 children to ensure just a few even survive beyond infancy.
Yes I know all of this and its been drummed into my head since I've been able to watch tv but there's a simple matter that we have a overly negative view of the continent. Sorry for having a balanced view too many times people think that Africans need to be ''saved'' from the west (yes, which is ignorant most of us are) There's places with modest houses, shops and then there's the absolute poverty. Why can't people see all of Africa instead of the media view?

Please answer that question I'd like to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 01:47 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
If you studied about the continent you'd understand that saying the continent is ''dirt poor'' is wrong.

Yes I know all of this and its been drummed into my head since I've been able to watch tv but there's a simple matter that we have a overly negative view of the continent. Sorry for having a balanced view too many times people think that Africans need to be ''saved'' from the west (yes, which is ignorant most of us are) There's places with modest houses, shops and then there's the absolute poverty. Why can't people see all of Africa instead of the media view?

Please answer that question I'd like to know.
People do have a balanced view - most Africans are dirt poor, a few are not. I'm sure a lot, maybe most, would like to be 'saved' by the West, or any country with the capability to help them financially. You can bleat on about the West being ignorant or whatever cliched mumbo jumbo you have on copy and paste, but this big, bad region of the world that you dislike so much happens to be the only place in the world where people are actually healthy, live long, earn a lot and don't have to worry about disease, war, famine or anything else like that. Quite frankly, the rest of the world would benefit from being more like the West - maybe there would be less war and intolerance if that were the case.

No, we're not perfect, but we can hold our head high and say with confidence that at this moment in time, our lives are as close to heaven on earth as you are gonna get. It literally doesn't get any better than this, for anyone. Even a poor person in the UK is wealthier than the vast majority of people in the world, and could be middle-class in most poor countries.

Ultimately though, it is the ruling elite in Africa that need to change in order for that to happen, and other lost causes like the Middle East.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
People do have a balanced view - most Africans are dirt poor, a few are not. I'm sure a lot, maybe most, would like to be 'saved' by the West, or any country with the capability to help them financially. You can bleat on about the West being ignorant or whatever cliched mumbo jumbo you have on copy and paste, but this big, bad region of the world that you dislike so much happens to be the only place in the world where people are actually healthy, live long, earn a lot and don't have to worry about disease, war, famine or anything else like that. Quite frankly, the rest of the world would benefit from being more like the West - maybe there would be less war and intolerance if that were the case.

No, we're not perfect, but we can hold our head high and say with confidence that at this moment in time, our lives are as close to heaven on earth as you are gonna get. It literally doesn't get any better than this, for anyone. Even a poor person in the UK is wealthier than the vast majority of people in the world, and could be middle-class in most poor countries.

Ultimately though, it is the ruling elite in Africa that need to change in order for that to happen, and other lost causes like the Middle East.
Most people don't have a balanced view of Africa that's a blatant lie and if you believe that you must live in mumbo-jumbo land! Sure some would like to be saved from the West but the contributing reason to Africa's downfall is because of the west. Like it or not there's systems in place to keep or at least slow Africa's development to a modern continent, these systems are Multinational companies over-exploited the Countries (there's MANY examples of this), Warfare that are funded by the west (again do your research), puppet politicians and of course selfishly rich Africans that don't care about the majority of the population of their Countries.

The west as a whole I don't like I will admit that, am I loyal to the UK? Yes 100% but I'm not ''pro west''

On your point that the world would be great if it was like the west, I'm guessing you don't know what ''the west'' means in any sense. Because the West basically means European-ness and for the world to be more like Europe or ''White world'' would mean for Countries to loose their culture. Fundamentally if the world was like the west wars would be everywhere but covered up to make the population think the war is for freedom example? Iraq War.

I'd love you to say to a Middle Easterner that their region is a ''lost cause''

Old 03-02-2015, 11:30 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Most people don't have a balanced view of Africa that's a blatant lie and if you believe that you must live in mumbo-jumbo land! Sure some would like to be saved from the West but the contributing reason to Africa's downfall is because of the west. Like it or not there's systems in place to keep or at least slow Africa's development to a modern continent, these systems are Multinational companies over-exploited the Countries (there's MANY examples of this), Warfare that are funded by the west (again do your research), puppet politicians and of course selfishly rich Africans that don't care about the majority of the population of their Countries.

The west as a whole I don't like I will admit that, am I loyal to the UK? Yes 100% but I'm not ''pro west''

On your point that the world would be great if it was like the west, I'm guessing you don't know what ''the west'' means in any sense. Because the West basically means European-ness and for the world to be more like Europe or ''White world'' would mean for Countries to loose their culture. Fundamentally if the world was like the west wars would be everywhere but covered up to make the population think the war is for freedom example? Iraq War.

No, that isn't true - unless you believe oppression, political instability, conflict, civil war, intolerance and inequality are an integral part of someone's culture. It has absolutely nothing to do with whiteness or 'European-ness' - the fact that you associate progressive societies with white people and Europeans says more about you than it does about anyone else.

The rest of your post is poorly construed nonsense, and I can barely make heads or tales of it. You're trying desperately to sound well-informed on this particular issue but you're not.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
No, that isn't true - unless you believe oppression, political instability, conflict, civil war, intolerance and inequality are an integral part of someone's culture. It has absolutely nothing to do with whiteness or 'European-ness' - the fact that you associate progressive societies with white people and Europeans says more about you than it does about anyone else.

The rest of your post is poorly construed nonsense, and I can barely make heads or tales of it. You're trying desperately to sound well-informed on this particular issue but you're not.
Poorly construed nonsense? Only because YOU don't understand.

Western = Europe

Another word for Westernisation is Europeanisation...

I'm not making this up YOU were the one to equate the West with developed modern etc not me...

Quote:
Quite frankly, the rest of the world would benefit from being more like the West
I never said this YOU did.

I think YOU'RE the one who doesn't understand ''this particular topic''

Old 03-02-2015, 09:37 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Lagos. Lahore. London.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Have you been to this place called Africa?

You have no right to make assuptions of a place you never been to nor understand just typical Western ignorance. ''If the media says its bad it must be'' pathetic.
Its not even "western ignorance" its just the truth, Sub Sahara Africa is probably the most poorest region on earth.... we aren't being brainwashed by the media, we are just smarter and are more aware of things going on in the world...

And its not all negative, going on an African safari is on many peoples bucket list.. its on mine

Old 03-02-2015, 10:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:

You sure about that...

The western world is a very peaceful place.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:34 AM

367 posts, read 409,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

You sure about that...

It really depends on your time frame. The 1940s weren't that long ago in the grand scheme of things.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Its not even "western ignorance" its just the truth, Sub Sahara Africa is probably the most poorest region on earth.... we aren't being brainwashed by the media, we are just smarter and are more aware of things going on in the world...

And its not all negative, going on an African safari is on many peoples bucket list.. its on mine
I'm not denying that Sub Saharan Africa is poor but we've never been there, but I've seen images of Africa that is rarely (if ever) shown in the News. Images like housing, mansions, housing estates being built, skyscrapers but the media will lead you to believe Africa is just one big slum with Black people begging for food.

Why is that hard to understand?

I repeat I'm not saying the slums don't exist just that our imaginations are probably over- exaggerated because of the bias to seeing one aspect of Africa.

The fact you will visit the Safari instead of going into the Capital Cities just says everything - brainwashing. Only one aspect of Africa is shown the poverty and the wilderness it distorts people idea.

Quote:

You sure about that...

Well USA, UK, France have involved themselves in a lot of conflicts in the Middle East but according to our governments its for ''peace'' and a war on ''terrorism''
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World