Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 03:35 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,483,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
It was a joke - because all the Americans say Italian American etc.

Sarcasm not a Finnish trait I see.
I think it was a bad joke. I am not laughing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 03:43 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,441,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Since you are Spanish, Americans might indeed come across as a bit cold or unfriendly. I have seen interviews with Portuguese emigrants living in the US and Canada, many of them have made similar comments. I guess when you come from a country where total strangers start conversations and touch each other, it must be hard to deal with Americans/Canadians, or Germans.
By far the harshest comments I have heard about that so far came from African immigrants in the US. I remember that woman (I think she was Somali), she was so sad. She said where she came from people leave their doors open and neighbors drop by to chat. In the US nobody visits her, nobody has time, etc.
There was a documentary about african refugees in America (can't remember what country they were from) but one of they guys said everyone in America is so rude, he said he would walk into random homes and everyone yelled at him to get out of their house so he hated everyone... different cultures...

Old 03-08-2015, 04:07 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,824,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
I think it was a bad joke. I am not laughing.
Ah well suppose I will just have to get on with my life

Old 03-08-2015, 04:10 PM

25,956 posts, read 24,675,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
There was a documentary about african refugees in America (can't remember what country they were from) but one of they guys said everyone in America is so rude, he said he would walk into random homes and everyone yelled at him to get out of their house so he hated everyone... different cultures...
Why is it I don't believe you saw such a documentary? Probably because people don't walk into random homes in Africa, either

Old 03-08-2015, 04:16 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,441,177 times
Quote:
Why is it I don't believe you saw such a documentary? Probably because people don't walk into random homes in Africa, either
It might be Lost Boys of Sudan but i could be wrong.

Netflix - Unlimited TV Shows & Movies Online

I'm pretty sure that is what one of the refugees said, but i'm not 100 percent sure.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:25 PM

14,263 posts, read 11,573,591 times
Quote:
By far the harshest comments I have heard about that so far came from African immigrants in the US. I remember that woman (I think she was Somali), she was so sad. She said where she came from people leave their doors open and neighbors drop by to chat. In the US nobody visits her, nobody has time, etc.
This is sad, but it sounds like she needs a little help assimilating to our culture. Just sitting home waiting for people to drop by obviously doesn't work well here. If this woman could get a job or a volunteer position, or join a mom's group if she has children--anything to get out of the house and meet some people, she would make friends and feel much better.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:34 PM

25,956 posts, read 24,675,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This is sad, but it sounds like she needs a little help assimilating to our culture. Just sitting home waiting for people to drop by obviously doesn't work well here. If this woman could get a job or a volunteer position, or join a mom's group if she has children--anything to get out of the house and meet some people, she would make friends and feel much better.
She was a refugee and got sent to Seattle based on some "distribution system".
She was not the youngest anymore and did not speak English.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:22 PM

659 posts, read 938,505 times
I remember a funny culture clash story that my mom said when I was younger. When she first arrived to America, she bought cat food and ate it on a piece of bread, it was pretty delicious according to her. She later found out that it was literally cat food and not liver pate with the face of a cat on it. LOL

Supposedly, back then, Romania didn't have things like cat food since the Romanians fed their pets table scraps. At least, that's what I've been told any way, don't know if it's true!

Old 03-08-2015, 06:38 PM

1,274 posts, read 975,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
I remember a funny culture clash story that my mom said when I was younger. When she first arrived to America, she bought cat food and ate it on a piece of bread, it was pretty delicious according to her. She later found out that it was literally cat food and not liver pate with the face of a cat on it. LOL

Supposedly, back then, Romania didn't have things like cat food since the Romanians fed their pets table scraps. At least, that's what I've been told any way, don't know if it's true!
That's a nice story! Well I am sure nowadays Romania also have cats food. I actually ended up eating dog food once by mistake when I was young but well, I survived... it tastes more or less like human food, at least the pate ones. That's actually very weird.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:50 AM
FBF

601 posts, read 929,397 times
I am Assuming they are jealous that a couple of foreigners are talking how cheap it is to travel in the US compared to their home country since they buy into the notion that since the US is the richest country in the world by GDP, then it should be expensive for foreigners or at least moderate....not cheap like a third world country.

Likewise, most Americans think travelling abroad is for the rich and privileged, and when I (American) told them all the international places I have been, they gave me a similar reaction!

Now, I just say very little as possible and with the way I dress, they assume I am a European/Asian tourist and do not say anything to me LOL!

Last edited by FBF; 03-09-2015 at 03:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World