Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 04:23 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
I am Assuming they are jealous that a couple of foreigners are talking how cheap it is to travel in the US compared to their home country since they buy into the notion that since the US is the richest country in the world by GDP, then it should be expensive for foreigners or at least moderate....not cheap like a third world country.

Likewise, most Americans think travelling abroad is for the rich and privileged, and when I (American) told them all the international places I have been, they gave me a similar reaction!
Europe has gotten pretty cheap at the moment with the euro being this low so now might be a good time to visit. The US has gotten expensive for us on the other hand. Besides money, I think one of the biggest problems for Americans is that they only have 10 days per year off from work so there hardly is any opportunity to travel abroad. Indeed, travelling abroad seems for the rich and privileged who don't have to ask for time off from their employers. Europeans have up to 6-8 weeks off per year so there is plenty of opportunity to travel abroad. I never saw many American travellers here in Europe while there are plenty of Europeans visiting the US. If any, they were mostly either students studying here or elderly retired tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
I am Assuming they are jealous that a couple of foreigners are talking how cheap it is to travel in the US compared to their home country since they buy into the notion that since the US is the richest country in the world by GDP, then it should be expensive for foreigners or at least moderate....not cheap like a third world country.

Likewise, most Americans think travelling abroad is for the rich and privileged, and when I (American) told them all the international places I have been, they gave me a similar reaction!

Now, I just say very little as possible and with the way I dress, they assume I am a European/Asian tourist and do not say anything to me LOL!
I hate to break it to you, but I doubt very seriously that most Americans assume you're a European or Asian tourist.

But it's not surprising to me that you think they do, since you also assume that travel to the US for Europeans is as cheap as traveling to a third world country, and that Americans are automatically jealous of European travelers when they come here on vacation.

I'm an American who has traveled internationally extensively and when I talk about the interesting places I've been, I usually find that my American friends and acquaintances have been to many of those same places themselves. In fact, just the other day, my husband and I had lunch at a very busy local deli and ended up sharing a table with another couple (you know, like they do so often in Europe) and come to find out, they are on their way to London in a few weeks and so we exchanged email addresses so I could send them some info about the hotel we liked so much in Westminster.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:11 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Europeans have up to 6-8 weeks off per year so there is plenty of opportunity to travel abroad. I never saw many American travellers here in Europe while there are plenty of Europeans visiting the US. If any, they were mostly either students studying here or elderly retired tourists.
I actually see American tourists everywhere, from Western Europe to East Asia, and no, they are not all students or retirees.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:48 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I hate to break it to you, but I doubt very seriously that most Americans assume you're a European or Asian tourist.

But it's not surprising to me that you think they do, since you also assume that travel to the US for Europeans is as cheap as traveling to a third world country, and that Americans are automatically jealous of European travelers when they come here on vacation.

I'm an American who has traveled internationally extensively and when I talk about the interesting places I've been, I usually find that my American friends and acquaintances have been to many of those same places themselves. In fact, just the other day, my husband and I had lunch at a very busy local deli and ended up sharing a table with another couple (you know, like they do so often in Europe) and come to find out, they are on their way to London in a few weeks and so we exchanged email addresses so I could send them some info about the hotel we liked so much in Westminster.
This has more to do with the people you hang out with, since the majority of Americans don't have passports.

It's the same for me. The people I know are very well travelled ( even my American friends ). I guess people with similar interests attract one another?

Passports though don't tell the whole story. It's so much easier for a European to consider themselves " well travelled " when you can travel easily to many countries within the EU.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:53 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

ROFL no we don't. Maybe that happens in the south, but Europe is very diverse

Old 03-09-2015, 12:28 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
I never heard of this happening anywhere except in Germany.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:35 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I never heard of this happening anywhere except in Germany.
Switzerland too. They have these special tables where loners can sit with others

Old 03-09-2015, 12:40 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
I think the only place I heard that was in Asia. HK is famous for that, and every foreigner hates it...

Old 03-09-2015, 12:47 PM

24,566 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
thanks everyone, I guess it was just 2 weird people acting weird.
I think the "weird" is you posting about this years later.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:02 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I think the "weird" is you posting about this years later.
Hehe

Anyway, it is an interesting topic.
I think the culture shock depends on which region meets which region. Someone from Denmark will find Mississippi much more of a culture shock than Iowa. For most on both sides of the Atlantic I think there is no cultures shock at all, though. We are still relatively similar compared to the rest of the world. China, Nigeria, India, etc., those are places where both Americans and Europeans experience a culture shock, and the same one at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World