Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 05:01 AM

58 posts, read 56,395 times

Advertisements

Why? America has no sacrosanct owners.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:04 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
That didn't stop them ''claiming'' Australia, NZ and the Majority of North America!
I had my arguments with white Australians completely enraged over Asians going into Australia!!!

my initial question is always.... How many decades ago were your grandparents sent to Australia as convicts?

Their reaction is.... what?!

Old 03-04-2015, 05:06 AM

Descendants of convicts in Austraulia are a very insignificant part of the total population, and they are considered as the descendants of the Mayflower, that were convicts in a way.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:13 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
let's not even talk about the ridiculous names Europeans gave certain vegetables that were taken from the Americas

Tomatoes originated in central America and domesticated by the Mayans over 1 thousand years ago, a staple of the area for centuries = Italian tomatoes!

Cucumbers = domesticated in north america over one thousand years ago = english cucumbers

Potatoes = domesticated over 1 thousand years ago in the highlands of the Andes, with over 2000 varieties = Irish potatoes

yet Europeans have known these vegetables only a couple of centuries after they were taken to Europe by europeans who sacked the Americas.
come on, nobody claims that italians invented tomatoes or that the irish created potatoes.

In France everybody knows that potatoes were brought by a famous explorer back to France from America.

I know you don't like Europe and stuff, but this is getting a bit ridiculous.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:18 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
I had my arguments with white Australians completely enraged over Asians going into Australia!!!

my initial question is always.... How many decades ago were your grandparents sent to Australia as convicts?

Their reaction is.... what?!
LOL many of them probably didn't enter the Country until as recently as 100 years ago OR LATER.

Its just the White Supremacy ideology. Nothing more nothing less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
come on, nobody claims that italians invented tomatoes or that the irish created potatoes.

In France everybody knows that potatoes were brought by a famous explorer back to France from America.

I know you don't like Europe and stuff, but this is getting a bit ridiculous.
I'm sorry but she has a point not a lot of people know Potatoes came from South America or that Tomatoes come from the Americas, too.

For many people

Potato = Ireland

Old 03-04-2015, 05:26 AM

Well, I understand Australia. They were attacked by Japan and they were scared of invasion. They also have a country with a very large population just a few miles away.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:29 AM

What people ignore is that except in Malaga, Spain, were American potatoes were known as "manzanas de Malaga" is that in the rest of Europe, potatos were grown for their flowers.

Tomato was considered poisonous until quite recently, maybe 160 years ago.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:35 AM

187 posts, read 280,362 times
Quote:
French Guyana is a south American territory, it belongs to France thru colonization (time will come when South American countries, especially Brazil will press the issue though)

Also in South America we have the Falklands belong to the UK (why is a country over 5 thousand kilometers away from those islands there?) I am sure eventually they'll have to let it go. (the US already told them they are 100 neutral on the matter and will not get involved as it would against its McCarthyist doctrine)

Several islands in the Caribbean (Martinique, Guadeloupe) are French, so is an island right off the coast of Canada.... why? St. Pierre/Miquelon

UK virgin islands, cayman islands = UK..... why?

Greenland, an enormous island sitting on the extreme north of the North American plate belongs to denmark.... why?

shouldn't the americas make an effort to kick Europe out? why are they allowed to have land on a continent that is clearly not theirs?
Colonialization...!! they apparently don't want to secede. Been there and done that..they like being under the umbrella of Vive la France. Baguettes there are out of this world..

cheers...

Old 03-04-2015, 05:35 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
LOL many of them probably didn't enter the Country until as recently as 100 years ago OR LATER.

Its just the White Supremacy ideology. Nothing more nothing less.

I'm sorry but she has a point not a lot of people know Potatoes came from South America or that Tomatoes come from the Americas, too.

For many people

Potato = Ireland
In the UK, maybe, but in France most people associate potatoes with german food and everybody knows it comes from America, such as corn.

Just because some people are ignorant does not mean everyone is imperialist or supremacist.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:46 AM

Most people 99..00000 knows that potatos came from ancient Birú or Perú and that there are thousands of varieties in that countries. Tomatos from Mexico, Chocolate from Mexico, Sunflowers from Mexico, modern beans, from Mexico...vainillla, etc.

People also know that during the middle ages, the substitute of potatos were turnips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World