Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 11:02 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'll tell you what. If the USA gives back California, New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona and Texas to Mexico and then gives, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota and Minnesota back to Canada then I'll say that what you are saying makes one iota of sense.

The Canada that you mean was given to you by your British masters? The Louisiana Purchase 1803, The Oregon Treaty 1846, and the British Session 1818 gave us those territories. Maybe you should read about them. And they were between us and Britain (the last two) and had nothing to do with you colonists under your Queens apron strings.

Last edited by tom77falcons; 03-08-2015 at 11:24 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post

I'm not exactly a Republican, but certainly don't consider Puerto Ricans Americans in anything other than the most technical way. I 've never heard of anyone, regardless of political allegiance, consider it otherwise. It is an entirely foreign country that was was conquered by the US and retains a colonial-esque status.

Yes, agree completely. I respect Brainwashed feelings about being both American and Puerto Rican, but the vast majority of Puerto Ricans I know in Philadelphia feel the complete opposite. Lol you will never see an American flag flying in the Puerto Rican hoods of Philly. They are basically completely foreign to the US. We should give them their independence. I felt closer to the US and British Virgin Islands when I visited them than when I visited PR. Language makes a huge difference, and PR will never, ever give up Spanish. We can't have a state in this country where the primary language of govt and business is in Spanish, and the majority of the population cannot speak English. Just won't work. It will lead to way too much division and conflict.

Last edited by tom77falcons; 03-08-2015 at 11:17 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
But you still sound like a right-winger, which means my post has validity. Right-wing Americans don't consider anyone with a Spanish last name as "Real Americans" anyway. What do you know about Puerto Rico? Nothing at all. We're not a foreign country, and never were. The fact that you refer to us as that means you are out of touch on the subject. No wonder you hold opinions like you do. Just another Anglo that thinks the U.S. is "his" country
Your bolded statement is simply untrue and you are stereotyping. You should ask my Spanish boss if we don't consider him American lol.

I am far from a right wing Republican and agree with him. Puerto Rico just feels very foreign, and the people seem quite happy to proclaim that they are not American. Hawaii voted 90% for statehood and look at the Hawaii Sovereign movement now. They want to break away. It would be a mistake to keep PR. PR was a Spanish colony much much longer than any ties with the USA. And yes, you are right, it was never a foreign country on its own right, but Spain is, and by their relationship for centuries then so is PR.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:53 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
I dunno, I know lots of Puerto Ricans who served in the US armed forces and while they speak Spanish as their native language and have a different culture than the US, being US citizens is part of that culture. every Puerto Rican has family in the US, and/or has served in the military.

you have the Chicano communities in the Southwest or the Chinese-American communities who still speak Soanish or Chinese, respectively, but are specifically american and have been for over a hundred years. No one with a brain disputes their americanness, and even the right wing is happy to hold them up as paradigms of American success by pulling up your bootstraps when it suits their political campaigns. Remember how in the run up to the 2012 election, the right was convinced they had the Asian community in the bag because they are hard-working, business-owning, socially-conservative, high-earning people who never take welfare? I heard similar things about the Puerto Ricans adding their military service on top, and of course cubans are more american than anyone else... again, when it suits them, they will embrace them. This is the same group that makes up litmus tests about patriotism and social opinions to determine how american other white people are.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:22 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Your bolded statement is simply untrue and you are stereotyping. You should ask my Spanish boss if we don't consider him American lol.

I am far from a right wing Republican and agree with him. Puerto Rico just feels very foreign, and the people seem quite happy to proclaim that they are not American. Hawaii voted 90% for statehood and look at the Hawaii Sovereign movement now. They want to break away. It would be a mistake to keep PR. PR was a Spanish colony much much longer than any ties with the USA. And yes, you are right, it was never a foreign country on its own right, but Spain is, and by their relationship for centuries then so is PR.
You mean the at most 1% of the population of Hawaii wanting independence...yeah I don't think that's going to happen.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:33 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I dunno, I know lots of Puerto Ricans who served the US armed forces and while they speak Spanish as their native language and have a in different culture than the US, being US citizens is part of that culture. every Puerto Rican has family in the US, and/or has served in the military.

you have the Chicano communities in the Southwest or the Chinese-American communities who still speak Soanish or Chinese, respectively, but are specifically american and have been for over a hundred years. No one with a brain disputes their americanness, and even the right wing is happy to hold them up as paradigms of American success by pulling up your bootstraps when it suits their political campaigns. Remember how in the run up to the 2012 election, the right was convinced they had the Asian community in the bag because they are hard-working, business-owning, socially-conservative, high-earning people who never take welfare? I heard similar things about the Puerto Ricans adding their military service on top, and of course cubans are more american than anyone else... again, when it suits them, they will embrace them. This is the same group that makes up litmus tests about patriotism and social opinions to determine how american other white people are.

This post nailed it.

If a vote came down tomorrow between either voting for Statehood or the US giving Puerto Rico independence statehood would win by a landslide. Puerto Ricans aren't going to give up there US Citizenship. To many move around working in the contiguous US and have family living there. The US mainland is ingrained part of the lives of many Puerto Ricans and they aren't going to just up and walk away from it. Puerto Rico is not Quebec the dynamics are different between the two with Quebec bordering on leaving Canada where as Puerto Rico borders on voting to become a state.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:02 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,179 times
The particular irony of Argentina's claim on the Falklands is that the vast, vast and vast majority of Argentinians are not "native" people. They are descendants of Spanish and Italian immigrants, along with sizable German and other European and even Lebanese ethnicities. Argentina is a very "white" country with minimal intermarriages with original people, unlike in Mexico or even Brazil. A high percentage of Argentinians, particularly the non-Spanish, immigrated to Argentina after the British established control over the Falkland Islands.

If Argentina wants Britain to hand over the Falklands, perhaps Argentina should "hand over" it's own country to whoever was there before the initial Spanish settlement.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:11 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Quote:
Oh please you hack. First you claim Brits never invaded anywhere. Guess what, you did to lots of places. Maybe you should read some history. How do you think America got slavery in the first place, and then you arrogant lot act all holier than thou when lecturing Americans on our slave past.

Yeah, this nation of 300M is not subservient to your tiny island. Then pray tell why was your king over here begging FDR to help in WWII? FDR made him eat hot dogs and humiliated him at Hyde Park. Americans ate it up. Why was your king writing letters to FDR? No, we are not the subservient partner to your Queen. It may be more equal, barely, but it certainly isn't us being told what to do by you lot.
I strongly agree with you here I've heard Brits say ''We never had slavery here'' well no you didn't but British people participated in it and only massively profited from it.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:28 AM

602 posts, read 495,950 times
Greenland does not belong to Denmark. Neither does the Faeroe Islands. Both of these countries are voluntarily part of the Danish Realm, and they may choose to leave whenever they feel like it. Denmark handles the defense and the foreign policy of Greenland and the Faeroe Islands.

Denmark guarantees a certain standard of living in Greenland and the Faeroe Islands. The financial aid called "bloktilskudet" amounts to somewhere close to 200 millions €/year - a significant economic burden for a small country like Denmark. Furthermore there are several other expenses like maintaining an overgrown military fleet, defending Greenland's claim to the arctic, any Faeroese or Greenlander may take a higher education (up to Master's Degree) in Denmark and will be supported by the Danish S.U. system (800€/month).

Both of these countries are a financial burden to Denmark, so by implying that Denmark somehow by force controls Greenland and The Faeroe Island are an equal amount of stupid, wrong and provoking to Danes. The truth is that both of these countries have a pretty sweet deal, which is why neither have expressed any intent of leaving the Danish realm.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:04 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Yes, agree completely. I respect Brainwashed feelings about being both American and Puerto Rican, but the vast majority of Puerto Ricans I know in Philadelphia feel the complete opposite. Lol you will never see an American flag flying in the Puerto Rican hoods of Philly. They are basically completely foreign to the US. We should give them their independence. I felt closer to the US and British Virgin Islands when I visited them than when I visited PR. Language makes a huge difference, and PR will never, ever give up Spanish. We can't have a state in this country where the primary language of govt and business is in Spanish, and the majority of the population cannot speak English. Just won't work. It will lead to way too much division and conflict.
Mainland "Puerto Ricans" and Puerto Ricans who actually live in Puerto Rico are very different people with different realities. A good portion of these "Puerto Ricans" can't even speak Spanish or find Puerto Rico on a map. Theunbrainwashed has a funny story about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World