Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 05:04 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Touchy. What I said makes perfect sense if you can't decipher it then your problem.
Your not making much sense

Because someone is born in a country or gains citizenship the history of that country is suddenly put onto them?

So if I moved to China and gained citizenship the history of china is suddenly apart of my history? No it doesn't work like that lol

Old 03-14-2015, 05:21 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Touchy. What I said makes perfect sense if you can't decipher it then your problem.
I just don't appreciate you telling me why I am doing something. If you can't understand, that's your problem.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:32 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
It's a matter only of the people living in those islands and areas and they don't want to be independent, simple as that.
Nobody forced Martinique or Guadeloupe to stay with France.
That's pretty much it.

The U.S. also has a bunch of colonies all over the place. Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guantanamo Bay in Cuba; those and Navassa Island are all in the Caribbean.

Then there are the U.S. colonies in Asia, such as Guam and American Samoa among many other places.

All those colonies belong to the U.S. as much as Martinique and Guadaloupe does to France (which, by the way, the relationship between those islands and France is more like Hawaii's to the U.S. than Puerto Rico's to the U.S.; in short, Martinique and Guadaloupe are not colonies as Puerto Rico is because they are an integral part of France while PR is not incorporated into the U.S.)

The people of those territories basically decide their continual linkage to their mother countries and its no one else's business. Its the reason why Northern Ireland belong to Britain and not to the Republic of Ireland. The Northern Irish don't want to be a part of Ireland, even though Northern Ireland is on the island of Ireland, not on Britain.

French Guyana may become independent or stay with France or opt to join some other country. At the end of the day it's up to the people of French Guyana to decide and everyone else should simply stop sticking their noses in what essentially is none of our (the non-French Guyanese) business.

Last edited by AntonioR; 03-14-2015 at 06:30 PM..

Old 03-14-2015, 05:44 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
That's pretty much it.

The U.S. also has a bunch of colonies all over the place. Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guantanamo Bay in Cuba; those and Navassa Island are all in the Caribbean.

Then there are the U.S. colonies in Asia, such as Guam and American Samoa among many other places.

All those colonies belong to the U.S. as much as Martinique and Guadaloupe does to France (which, by the way, the relationship between those islands and France is more like Hawaii's to the U.S. than Puerto Rico's to the U.S.; in short, Martinique and Guadaloupe are not colonies as Puerto Rico is because they are an integral part of France while PR is not incorporated into the U.S.)

The people of those territories basically decide their continual linkage to their mother countries and its no one else's business. Its the reason why Northern Ireland belong to Britain and not to the Republic of Ireland, the Northern Irish don't want to be a part of Ireland, even though Northern Ireland is on the island of Ireland, not on Britain.

French Guyana may become independent or stay with France or opt to join some other country. At the end of the day it's up to the people of French Guyana to decide and everyone else should simply stop sticking their noses in what essentially is none of our (the non-French Guyanese) business.
Kinda sort of. PR is not a state but it's not really a colony either in the true sense. They are a territory and have voted to remain as one.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:48 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Neither do my ancestors but I am a Brit. It is my countries history. Many a Brit are 1st or 2nd generation. I don't think anyone should feel bad for what happened with the British Empire - anyone who participated in in should. Should you feel bad Gentoo that your government is blowing kids up nearly everyday in the PRESENT? My country also - that is what makes me feel bad.
Where are kids getting blown up nearly everyday by the United States?

Do you have a link to support your statement?

Are you defining soldiers as kids?

Old 03-14-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
A number of the Caribbean Islands were just dumped by the Europeans. Some of the smaller islands have tiny poverty stricken populations and less land area then an average county. Yet we expect them to create a modern economy & government and compete economically in a world of huge nations and continental trading blocs.
That doesn't means much when in Europe, among other places, there are many micro-countries that are doing well economically and as societies. Think of Monaco, San Marino, Andorra; or perhaps Litechtenstein (or however its written, lol):

These countries are about as small as many of those Lesser Antilles countries in land area and population, and that hasn't prevented them from developing. They even have worse climate and less fertile land than those Caribbean islands.

Monaco is smaller than NY's Central Park, believe it or not.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:50 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Your not making much sense

Because someone is born in a country or gains citizenship the history of that country is suddenly put onto them?

So if I moved to China and gained citizenship the history of china is suddenly apart of my history? No it doesn't work like that lol
He is America us two are Brits - you were born here weren't you?

Nobody can be blamed for past generations and nobody can be blamed for what their government do, especially when a million people march ie against Iraq war and they still go ahead.

If we all agree on that then we are on the same page.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:51 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Where are kids getting blown up nearly everyday?

Do you have a link to support your statement?

Are you defining soldiers as kids?
You ever heard of drone strikes or do you bury your head in the sand?

Old 03-14-2015, 05:55 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
You ever heard of drone strikes or do you bury your head in the sand?
Of course I have heard about the drone strikes in Iraq and Syria.

But you are claiming that the United States is blowing up kids nearly every day therefore the burden of proof is on you to provide some data to support your assertion.

Are you able to provide it?

Old 03-14-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
When you hate everything about the US and then want to spend winter in Florida that is indeed ironic.
That's nonsense.

Plenty of people have issues with US foreign policies and still love the US, the US people, and the culture. In fact, many people from the US have their differences with the US government and that doesn't mean they hate the US or they hate being from the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World