U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How relevant is San Francisco Bay Area to you/to people where you live?
We (I) love it and I notice most people around me love it too! 14 26.92%
I love it, but don't really think people in my city/country know much about it or care for it 10 19.23%
I think it's okay, don't know whether I want to see it but don't really care if I do or not. 23 44.23%
I don't like it but there are worse places in the world 3 5.77%
I hate it. Just outright don't like it. Don't even care for it. 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 11:31 PM

41 posts, read 42,285 times

Advertisements

I love it, because being from British Columbia, it is easy to travel to. Reminds me a lot of Vancouver. One of my favorite places.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 12:53 AM

7,899 posts, read 6,420,870 times
To the people that live outside of the United States, how attractive is San Francisco Bay Area to you?
I don't really care.

How important is San Francisco to you where you live, how often do you hear about it?
Quite often. I think there's a fair share of Taiwanese community over there.

Is it a super popular place in your city/country/area of the world?
I think it is. It used to be(and probably still is) a very popular destination for immigration or vacation.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:08 AM

4,224 posts, read 6,228,642 times
To the people that live outside of the United States, how attractive is San Francisco Bay Area to you?
Mildly attractive to me, If flying to he USA ,I would rather land in San Francisco than LA, though I would be far more interested in the national parks etc in California, than the cities. I

How important is San Francisco to you where you live, how often do you hear about it?
We don't hear about it very often at all really, I doubt many Aussies without an interest in IT would know Apple etc is based in the area.

Is it a super popular place in your city/country/area of the world?
It's a popular tourist destination for thoes going to the USA.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 03-11-2015 at 03:36 AM..

Old 03-11-2015, 04:25 AM

505 posts, read 551,097 times
I visited SF this summer, and it is a nice enough place (although weather sucked, too cold for August for my taste!)

But I think it is a very idealized and overhyped place, and does not deserve all the hype around...

I found it :

- Expensive. An OK 3* hotel in north beach $170 usd/night and everybody in there (both clercks and customers) acted like it was a bargain? C'mon....

- Public transportation: I heard from a lot of Americans, and in a lot of guide books and internet posts how wonderful public transportation is in SF. I found it slow, dirty, unpleasant and expensive. Any city its size in europe or asia will have a more decent, cleaner, safer and cheaper metro/tram system.

- Trying to be too cool when... well, it is not that cool: Mission district/Valencia St. Trying to hard. You have neighborhoods in Madrid, Berlin, Brussels, London, Barcelona, Rome and many other cities where the "hipster" or cool neighborhood is way cooler than the one in SF, and at half the price.

- Dirty and dangerous areas right in the city center: so you are shopping in union square, and you walk like 3 streets and get to a creepy area (tenderloin). What's up with that? not nice.

- I read everywhere how european SF looks: well, it doesn't. At all.

Other than that it is a nice place, I had a great time. But I think 4 days was enough, it is not a place I would like to come back (I mean, there are a lot of other places higher in my list)

Old 03-11-2015, 09:15 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,290,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post

- Trying to be too cool
SF used to be much cooler. It was nice and hilly and sunny but also dirty and dangerous and very weird, that is why it was cool. Like Manhattan, it has become too expensive to truly be cool anymore.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:54 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,150,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
There's nothing wrong with being old, but software and other "new-economy" companies in the Bay Area are notoriously ageist. If you're over 30, you're pretty much out of luck if you're trying to get in as a new hire.

Don't Hire Anyone Over 30: Ageism in Silicon Valley |
I'm aware of this. I'm 33 years-old... and although I'm somewhat experienced and know a lot of technologies and programming languages, I never had a spirit of innovation, even when I was younger. Moreover, my academic formation is in Business Management... what I do professionally is mapping the problems/improvements of the companies which can be solved with software solutions, and developing the softwares for them.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:14 AM

2,986 posts, read 2,440,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
To the people that live outside of the United States, how attractive is San Francisco Bay Area to you? As a place that you could visit on a trip or possibly move to one day in the future. How important is San Francisco to you where you live, how often do you hear about it? Is it a super popular place in your city/country/area of the world?

Are there any American cities that you like more than it? Less than it?
It's an area i'd love to visit, but i have no interest in moving there. I don't hear much about SF, even though i'd say out of American cities only Miami, NY, DC and LA get more press and are more known.

It's not so popular, not many have been there as it's quite far from Italy and it's not a cheap destination

Old 03-11-2015, 11:39 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,139,136 times
It is one of my pending trips and I want to so it sooner or later, people seem to love it as well, but I don't know a big number of people who travelled there.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:50 AM

9,031 posts, read 9,613,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Quite often. I think there's a fair share of Taiwanese community over there.
San Francisco is one of the very few cities outside Asia that has a 'native' Chinese name, i.e. one that's not just a rough transliteration of the English. It's "Jiujinshan," or "Old Gold Mountain" (to distinguish it from "New Gold Mountain," which is Australia).

Old 03-11-2015, 03:12 PM

16,559 posts, read 24,646,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
I visited SF this summer, and it is a nice enough place (although weather sucked, too cold for August for my taste!)

But I think it is a very idealized and overhyped place, and does not deserve all the hype around...

I found it :

- Expensive. An OK 3* hotel in north beach $170 usd/night and everybody in there (both clercks and customers) acted like it was a bargain? C'mon....

- Public transportation: I heard from a lot of Americans, and in a lot of guide books and internet posts how wonderful public transportation is in SF. I found it slow, dirty, unpleasant and expensive. Any city its size in europe or asia will have a more decent, cleaner, safer and cheaper metro/tram system.

- Trying to be too cool when... well, it is not that cool: Mission district/Valencia St. Trying to hard. You have neighborhoods in Madrid, Berlin, Brussels, London, Barcelona, Rome and many other cities where the "hipster" or cool neighborhood is way cooler than the one in SF, and at half the price.

- Dirty and dangerous areas right in the city center: so you are shopping in union square, and you walk like 3 streets and get to a creepy area (tenderloin). What's up with that? not nice.

- I read everywhere how european SF looks: well, it doesn't. At all.

Other than that it is a nice place, I had a great time. But I think 4 days was enough, it is not a place I would like to come back (I mean, there are a lot of other places higher in my list)
Well, if you think SF's public transit is slow, other American cities will make you slit your throat, save New York.

One thing about the city is yes, you can walk from a decent area, right into a sketchy one. The problem with SF is that it's only 49 square miles so everything is sort of jammed together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World