U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How relevant is San Francisco Bay Area to you/to people where you live?
We (I) love it and I notice most people around me love it too! 14 26.92%
I love it, but don't really think people in my city/country know much about it or care for it 10 19.23%
I think it's okay, don't know whether I want to see it but don't really care if I do or not. 23 44.23%
I don't like it but there are worse places in the world 3 5.77%
I hate it. Just outright don't like it. Don't even care for it. 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 10:57 AM

7,113 posts, read 6,363,602 times

Advertisements

San Francisco bay area seems pretty cool to me. My trips over there have been short. I have not had the time I really want to explore SFC or the rest of the bay area. My wife has quite a few relatives in the East bay, in Oakland and Berkeley. We will be going to a wedding out there this summer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 01:50 AM

505 posts, read 555,884 times
To the people that live outside of the United States, how attractive is San Francisco Bay Area to you?

Somewhat cool place.

As a place that you could visit on a trip or possibly move to one day in the future.

I have visited it in 2 occassions. I am not thinking in moving there in the future, I was not impressed by SF at all, too expensive for what you get, somewhat dirty and dangerous and poor public transport. And again, very expensive for what you get.

How important is San Francisco to you where you live, how often do you hear about it?

Not very important, not in everyday news unless there is an earthquake or some shocking news or some IT company related news.

Is it a super popular place in your city/country/area of the world?

It is somewhat popular, probably in the range of Chicago and Miami but after NYC and LA in popularity.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:14 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,995,045 times
The SF bay area is extremely well-known in France, it's practically part of the general culture, particularly in the higher classes/upper middle class . Those people have an extremely positive view from that area, for them it is the best in the US, overrunning the NY:East coast conurbation. The snobby French have all a kind of connection with that area (Silicon valley, Napa valley -for the vineyards-Sonoma valley, Stanford, Downtown SF, Sausalito, Carmel, etc).
However they aren't much interested in Sacramento . Perszonally, I do agree the area looks nice, but so expensive that I wouldn't dream to leave there.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:33 AM

2,302 posts, read 2,812,324 times
I have been living outside of the US for 16 years but am from San Diego, does that count?

To the people that live outside of the United States, how attractive is San Francisco Bay Area to you?

One of my favorite city's to visit, not sure I would want to live in the City proper but depending on the situation perhaps.

As a place that you could visit on a trip or possibly move to one day in the future.

Well as my brother who is pretty much my only living relative lives in the Bay Area I visit whenever I am back in the US. If I were ever to move back to the US, though not likely I would consider it if I could somehow support myself there. As a sailboat racer I could live there for the bay and the sailing scene alone.

How important is San Francisco to you where you live, how often do you hear about it?

Popular as a tourist destination, and of course the Bay Area is known for tech but really only hear about it when people are talking about vacations taken or being planned.

Is it a super popular place in your city/country/area of the world?

Pretty popular as part of any West Coast trip.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:02 PM

10,669 posts, read 14,342,657 times
I've been to San Francisco twice and passed through it another time. I have a good friend that lives there and have enjoyed my visits. Overall it seems like a pretty nice city but does have some negatives in my mind. They are:
-Too expensive
-Some neighborhoods felt unsafe walking around compared to what I'm used to
-weather can be hit and miss in summer. I generally found it quite cold and windy.

I would consider living there but I'd have to have a really high salary to make it worth my while.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:37 PM

16,561 posts, read 24,761,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
The SF bay area is extremely well-known in France, it's practically part of the general culture, particularly in the higher classes/upper middle class . Those people have an extremely positive view from that area, for them it is the best in the US, overrunning the NY:East coast conurbation. The snobby French have all a kind of connection with that area (Silicon valley, Napa valley -for the vineyards-Sonoma valley, Stanford, Downtown SF, Sausalito, Carmel, etc).
However they aren't much interested in Sacramento . Perszonally, I do agree the area looks nice, but so expensive that I wouldn't dream to leave there.
Carmel is not part of the Bay Area although it is close.

What opinion do the French have about the wine country in the area?

Old 06-20-2016, 05:14 PM

16,106 posts, read 11,513,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
To the people that live outside of the United States, how attractive is San Francisco Bay Area to you? As a place that you could visit on a trip or possibly move to one day in the future. How important is San Francisco to you where you live, how often do you hear about it? Is it a super popular place in your city/country/area of the world?

Are there any American cities that you like more than it? Less than it?
I find it quite attractive. I've arrived by air and have driven several times to S.F.

I wouldn't move there though.

Important? Not really. Many people in Vancouver have been to S.F. as it's only 2 hours by air, or 19 hours driving. It's usually a stop over on the way further south, or a quick weekend getaway.

Driving through Napa is lovely, but Sonoma I seem to like better.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:22 AM

20,159 posts, read 10,412,878 times
It's a dump with all the bums. Not attractive for international standard.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:29 PM

402 posts, read 365,732 times
We get a lot of stories here of how expensive it is to live in the Bay area and that the job market is a bit of a pressure cooker/hyper competitive. For those reasons alone I wouldn't really want to live there but I would like to take a long weekend there. That large bay looks awesome; it'd be nice to explore it a little.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:48 PM

16,561 posts, read 24,761,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
We get a lot of stories here of how expensive it is to live in the Bay area and that the job market is a bit of a pressure cooker/hyper competitive. For those reasons alone I wouldn't really want to live there but I would like to take a long weekend there. That large bay looks awesome; it'd be nice to explore it a little.
The housing market is what's really competitive. if you have the proper experience, getting a job there isn't too difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World