U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: How relevant is San Francisco Bay Area to you/to people where you live?
We (I) love it and I notice most people around me love it too! 14 26.92%
I love it, but don't really think people in my city/country know much about it or care for it 10 19.23%
I think it's okay, don't know whether I want to see it but don't really care if I do or not. 23 44.23%
I don't like it but there are worse places in the world 3 5.77%
I hate it. Just outright don't like it. Don't even care for it. 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2016, 02:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
46,079 posts, read 47,501,753 times
Reputation: 15053

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The housing market is what's really competitive. if you have the proper experience, getting a job there isn't too difficult.
Too many jobs for not enough housing...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2016, 02:47 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,559 posts, read 24,684,424 times
Reputation: 8888
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Too many jobs for not enough housing...
^^^Exactly!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Hanau, Germany
1,773 posts, read 1,286,063 times
Reputation: 1219
Not attractive. Too expensive and I'm not really into all those internet/computer companies. Urban sprawl and poor public transportation doesn't help either. Big cities in general aren't my thing, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 03:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
46,079 posts, read 47,501,753 times
Reputation: 15053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
Not attractive. Too expensive and I'm not really into all those internet/computer companies. Urban sprawl and poor public transportation doesn't help either. Big cities in general aren't my thing, though.
At least to my American ears, it sounds like a contradiction to say you dislike big cities and dislike the poor public transportation; hard to get decent public transportation not in a big city. The part of the Bay Area in and near San Francisco has decent public transportation for American standards, though that's not saying much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 03:29 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,559 posts, read 24,684,424 times
Reputation: 8888
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
At least to my American ears, it sounds like a contradiction to say you dislike big cities and dislike the poor public transportation; hard to get decent public transportation not in a big city. The part of the Bay Area in and near San Francisco has decent public transportation for American standards, though that's not saying much.
Very true. The San Francisco, Oakland and Berkeley core of the Bay Area has decent public transportation. I've used it half my life. The only issue newcomers would encounter is the fact that San Francisco has it's own bus agency (MUNI) than the inner East Bay where Oakland and Berkeley are (they are served by AC Transit). BART, the subway system serves both with easy connections to both bus systems.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Hanau, Germany
1,773 posts, read 1,286,063 times
Reputation: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
At least to my American ears, it sounds like a contradiction to say you dislike big cities and dislike the poor public transportation; hard to get decent public transportation not in a big city. The part of the Bay Area in and near San Francisco has decent public transportation for American standards, though that's not saying much.
I assumed San Jose and Silicon Valley have poor public transportation.
Cities with about 100,000 inhabitants can have rather good public transportation here, although big cities have better options of course. What I meant is that if a city is large I need very good public transportation but ideally a city is small and dense enough that all places can be reached by foot/bike and a few bus/streetcar lines.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 03:46 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,559 posts, read 24,684,424 times
Reputation: 8888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
I assumed San Jose and Silicon Valley have poor public transportation.
Cities with about 100,000 inhabitants can have rather good public transportation here, although big cities have better options of course. What I meant is that if a city is large I need very good public transportation but ideally a city is small and dense enough that all places can be reached by foot/bike and a few bus/streetcar lines.
The public transportation in that area is abysmal. Those cities were once little more than suburbs and bedroom communities and grew too fast for anyone to keep up with them. Some tech companies such as Google provide free buses all over the Bay Area for it's employees. They pick up in designated locations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
11,496 posts, read 10,370,602 times
Reputation: 6086
I like it. Looks very European. Very exotic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Taipei
7,930 posts, read 6,449,587 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Some tech companies such as Google provide free buses all over the Bay Area for it's employees. They pick up in designated locations.
Wow that's pretty mind blowing. I only had those in kindergarten and high school.

They weren't free though haha.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 08:40 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,559 posts, read 24,684,424 times
Reputation: 8888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Wow that's pretty mind blowing. I only had those in kindergarten and high school.

They weren't free though haha.
The Google Bus is free. I caught it when I worked for Google.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top