Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 08:51 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The city proper includes places like Pierrefonds, Town of Mount Royal, St. Laurent and Lachine. Lots of single family houses, not like in cities in the developing or old world. Sure, probably more people are raised in apartments then in many cities north of Mexico but it's very far from being virtually everyone. Not to mention the SFH dominated suburbs of the metro, where many Montrealers were raised.
It's also worth noting that the vast majority of apartments in Montreal are not those huge towers, but are generally a maximum of three storeys high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 09:08 PM

653 posts, read 743,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's also worth noting that the vast majority of apartments in Montreal are not those huge towers, but are generally a maximum of three storeys high.
Singapore and Hong Kong (I know Hong Kong is not a country but a SAR of China).

Old 03-11-2015, 07:59 AM

3,983 posts, read 6,793,025 times
In terms of percent, I guess it's Singapore or Monaco (is there anyone raised in Monaco who wasn't raised in an apartment?)

But in absolute numbers I guess it's Brazil, or Russia, or Japan, or maybe China...

Anyway, I wonder how being raised in an apartment affects the personality of a person. Would my personality be somewhat different if I was raised in a house? Maybe....

Old 03-11-2015, 09:03 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
I was raised in an apartment building, even though i'm not sure i'd call it that way as it was completely owned by our family, this is quite common in Southern Italy, especially outside of larger cities, anyway all over Europe people are mostly raised in apartment buildings, in a city like Milan and probabòy in its surroundings too, virtually everyone is raised in a flat. In Rome. it's already quite different as there's quite a few suburbs as city limits are large due to the annexion of the surrounding towns during fascism

This is still part of Rome, despite being about 15 km from the city center:

http://http://s106.photobucket.com/user/sephinet/media/1-6.jpg.html

Last edited by nei; 03-18-2015 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: fixed link

Old 03-11-2015, 09:38 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Anyway, I wonder how being raised in an apartment affects the personality of a person.
It doesn't.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:27 PM

667 posts, read 940,505 times
In Belarus, as well as other post-Soviet countries, most people grow up in apartment buildings. The vast majority of people I know live in flats. Minsk and other cities are full of apartment blocks which can be anything from 2-3- to 25-storeyed houses (mostly 5-12).
That being said, pretty large parts of our cities -- even cities proper, not suburbs -- are occupied by so-called "private sector" which looks somewhat weird as modern cottages are mixed with old ugly wooden houses.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:32 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Russia and almost all of Eastern Europe, South Korea, Singapore, and HK would be the answers (HK is technically not a country but is usually not grouped in with China either, as totally separate economic and political system, and with controlled borders).

Western Europe is much less so, but Southern Europe is much more apartment-oriented than Northern Europe. Compare Spain, Italy and Greece to the UK, Norway, and Germany.

The least apartment oriented countries? Perhaps the U.S. and Australia? Canada and Mexico also aren't very apartment-oriented. South America is much more apartment-oriented than North America. Compare Brazil to Mexico, for example.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:51 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Western Europe is much less so, but Southern Europe is much more apartment-oriented than Northern Europe. Compare Spain, Italy and Greece to the UK, Norway, and Germany.
The UKs cities has lots of high rise flats.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:15 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,685 times
Spent 10 years in an apartment in Singapore.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:34 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
The UKs cities has lots of high rise flats.
Not true. The UK is dominated by single family homes, and the UK, as a whole, has comparatively little apartment living.

Compare London to Paris, for example. Paris is vastly more apartment-oriented. Even in London's center, many people live in single family homes. In Paris proper, single family homes hardly even exist.

And Paris is nothing compared to a Seoul, which is like 90% apartment blocks metro-wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World