Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 03:36 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times

Advertisements

There are people living in poverty in America. Many people in the first world experience "third world problems". If you live in the Southwest or California you're likely not going to have tap water in a year. I've had days of eating a single meal because I can't afford three squares until my next paycheck. Thousands of people suffer and die in America every year because they can't afford to both eat and pay their medical bills. There are some very real problems in the US, and I'm sure other first world countries too.
A surprisingly large number of people in the Third World actually live about as well as Americans too.
Just because Africa, India, etc have it worse doesn't mean that we should be complacent idiots. Wanting a better life is what made us "First World" in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 04:37 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
There are people living in poverty in America. Many people in the first world experience "third world problems". If you live in the Southwest or California you're likely not going to have tap water in a year. I've had days of eating a single meal because I can't afford three squares until my next paycheck. Thousands of people suffer and die in America every year because they can't afford to both eat and pay their medical bills. There are some very real problems in the US, and I'm sure other first world countries too.
A surprisingly large number of people in the Third World actually live about as well as Americans too.
Just because Africa, India, etc have it worse doesn't mean that we should be complacent idiots. Wanting a better life is what made us "First World" in the first place.
I agree 100%

Places in ''developing Countries'' are as or even more developed than places in the US, people live decent lives the issue is inequality but on a massive scale. Some of the reasons why these Countries have such issues is because the developed countries take advantage by exploiting the countries workforce - paying them air practically.

But yes people face issues in all countries the main issue in the world is elitism and the current power structure, the distribution of wealth is corrupt. Rich Countries like the US, UK, France and even India and South Africa shouldn't have no poverty.

I saw a report where Walmart employees were protesting about a pay rise - they can't pay them extra even though the managers probably get paid thousands or even a million dollars?!

Old 03-13-2015, 07:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
The "first world problem" is its dependence on technological interconnectedness. Consider how your life changes for a brief period when a car runs into a power pole. Then expand that idea to what would happen to the whole world if some catastrophic event shut down all systems that distribute energy and information and natural resources, and nobody knew how to restore it. The First World Problem is that this scenario is not an IF, it is a WHEN.

The impact of this would be much more catastrophic in The First World, than in the rest of the world. In the non-first world, there are still people living without electricity and running water and motorized transport and everyday commodities that are shipped across oceans in steel vessels and facebook friends and factory-made pharmaceuticals. The termination of these amenities will have little or no significant impact on the lives of people, except those whose lives are ineradicably structured to depend on First World interconnectedness. Which is, or soon will be, beyond the capacity of humans to fix if it breaks.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:34 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
When I think about first world problems I think about someone who is seriously depressed because they couldn't get a flat-screen HD TV on Black Friday for 99 dollars because they were sold out.

I don't think of poverty that of course does exist in rich countries of the US.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
When I think about first world problems I think about someone who is seriously depressed because they couldn't get a flat-screen HD TV on Black Friday for 99 dollars because they were sold out.

Yeah I could see it as a self-depreciating thing like that, but lately it's been applied to "Hey you have a cell phone, and kids in Africa are starving so your problems aren't really problems", a stereotype which is like 20 years out of date. Not to mention a terribly complacent and smug attitude to have because not only are you telling people you don't care about them, you're accusing them of being self centered too!

The irony is that Africans are now getting cell phones in masse and haven't had a major famine in years; of course I'd never implicate that Africans don't have real problems and they're all rich now!

Old 03-13-2015, 08:57 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,262 times
I spent a month in Thailand living like a king on $10 a day. Hell, I met Europeans there who rented huts for a dollar and ate on a dollar a day. The locals seemed to do alright also despite their 2nd world status.

Anyone who travels outside of the US will realize that America is rich only for the rich and upper middle class.

To be poor or middle class in America is to be a glutton for punishment regardless of what the marketing slogans of either political party tells you.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
I spent a month in Thailand living like a king on $10 a day. Hell, I met Europeans there who rented huts for a dollar and ate on a dollar a day. The locals seemed to do alright also despite their 2nd world status.

Anyone who travels outside of the US will realize that America is rich only for the rich and upper middle class.

To be poor or middle class in America is to be a glutton for punishment regardless of what the marketing slogans of either political party tells you.
Yes, it seems like everything is illegal in America! You can't just build a hut and live simply and cheaply. Most places will refuse to rent to you if you don't make 3x the rent. Little girls can't even start lemonade stands anymore. There are tons of regulations but only for the little people, if you have the money you can get around them in America.

Hell, even traveling in America you generally can't just pitch a tent, you have to go to an overpriced KOA campground, most of which don't have easy access to downtown centers. Honestly I'd love to just tramp around America for months on end and explore but unfortunately that would make me a criminal in this "free" country.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:20 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
There are tons of regulations but only for the little people, if you have the money you can get around them in America.
THIS! Whenever I hear some conservative railing against regulations for corporations, they never realize that its truly the small people who are over-regulated. And ironically every time liberal groups try and pass regulations at the expense of the well off, usually its so watered down that the cost just gets passed onto the rest of us

I remember when I lived in Florida, we had a law that prevented watering your lawn due to water shortages. Well, a man across the street who couldnt speak a word of enlglish was watering his lawn. The cops show up and basically throw the guy in jail. Only in America can just a regular joe going about his business get thrown in jail while people like CEOs, cops, and politicians get off scott free.

It is truly hard to be idealistic about America these days. Before the internet, I and everyone else really thought we had the best country in the world. Now anyone can get on the internet and read all the awful things this country does and how poor of a situation we are in both spiritually, economically, and culturally.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:21 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I agree 100%

Places in ''developing Countries'' are as or even more developed than places in the US, people live decent lives the issue is inequality but on a massive scale. Some of the reasons why these Countries have such issues is because the developed countries take advantage by exploiting the countries workforce - paying them air practically.

But yes people face issues in all countries the main issue in the world is elitism and the current power structure, the distribution of wealth is corrupt. Rich Countries like the US, UK, France and even India and South Africa shouldn't have no poverty.

I saw a report where Walmart employees were protesting about a pay rise - they can't pay them extra even though the managers probably get paid thousands or even a million dollars?!
That protest made some progress. Wal-mart announced raises for it's employees. Not much of one but it's a start. Communities all over the US are also starting to take matters into their own hands by raising the minimum wage. This may be difficult for non Americans to comprehend but there are a staggering number of people against that.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:25 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

You're right about that. In some of the rural areas in the US, there are people who have no running water or electricity. No medical care. In some of these areas, it really is no different than what we call third world countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World