Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:16 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I can't really think of anything huge like a major change in terms of geopolitics or a colony on Venus, but I'm certain that more countries will have legalised gay-marriage by then(the US, Australia, Germany etc.), ourselves included. I think it's gonna be legalised within a couple of years here.
If not, there'd at least be civil union.
That would be likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 11:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Is anyone else freaked out that the year 2020 is only 5 years away? It seems so futuristic.
We'll see 2 Olympics, a World Cup and 2 US presidential elections in that time frame!!

Old 03-25-2015, 02:19 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times
In an optimistic scenery, Boko Haram and ISIS will be already be defeated, the chavism in Latin America will be defunct, replaced by full democratic and capitalist governments; Russia and China will suspend the support to North Korea, leading to the fall of the dynasty of the Kims and reuniting it with South Korea in a single, prosperous and democratic country. I don't know if it is a good thing or not, but maybe India will surpass China as the new focus of economic growth. In terms of science and technology is hard to predict, but maybe smartphones will become commodities, another startup will emerge and challenge Apple, Google and Microsoft, and Ultra HD televisions will be standard. The astronomers also will have found some sort of life outside Earth, probably in an extrasolar planet. Brazil solves the crisis in football and wins the sixth FIFA World Cup in 2018.

In a pessimistic scenery... ISIS will receive support of Boko Haram and be successful in destroy the Vatican (thus fullfilling a claimed prophecy of St. Malachy), other terrorist groups will arise, Russia will try to invade other countries, will receive sanctions of EU and USA and, in reprisal, will support terrorist groups and receive support of Iran and Venezuela - leading the world to the Third World War. China will remain neutral. The budget for military supplies will have impact in the development of science and technology (althoug it may be used decades later for other purposes). Brazil re-elects Lula da Silva for another term and will be nominally neutral in the war, but giving silent support to Venezuela. Argentina wins its third FIFA World Cup in 2018 and Brazil don't even qualify.

But... as most of the predictions, none of these sceneries will happen and completely new and unpredictable things will happen until 2020. Some issues will be solved and new issues will arise.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:42 PM

363 posts, read 480,082 times
30 years ago they expected things to be like this in 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d68yRIE9OvQ

Old 03-25-2015, 04:51 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjua View Post
30 years ago they expected things to be like this in 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d68yRIE9OvQ
In the past, for some reason people were obsessed with flying machines.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:43 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
In the past, for some reason people were obsessed with flying machines.
We are not that far off: commercial drones are in the trial-run stage, in the US at least.

We already have big-screen videos with public announcements and advertisements in public places, even on roadways, 1980s computers are indeed antiques.

In the early 1900s, city streets were filled with horse manure, people thought there would be an environmental disaster. Then the car came along.

A hundred years later, we have traffic, parking and pollution problems ...

Old 03-26-2015, 03:19 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,328,642 times
I see the world in an even worse water crisis that we first predicted for 2020.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:48 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
The former Westward expansion to California and points West will be in full flight Eastward as California, Nevada (and Utah, most of Texas) become deserts. Unless desalination plants and turning brown and grey water in drinking and ag water are put into play in a big way--and soon, very soon.

The price of fresh prodcue will go way up as California cannot grow crops due to lack of watering capability.

The Middle East will still be in chaos..

We'll still be dealing with the remnants of a huge recession....

Old 03-27-2015, 12:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I have been living in my present apartment complex for eight years, and I can't see where anything has changed in those eight years, except normal fluctuations in things that are not likely to represent permanent trajectories. So I have no expectations of any visible change in the next five years, either.

Things will fluctuate, as they do. In 2020, some things will be at a peak, some on an upswing, some on a downswing. -- just as some things are now. It doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World