Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the least vibrant/urban?
New York City 22 33.85%
Paris 17 26.15%
Tokyo 4 6.15%
London 22 33.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 05:45 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smool View Post

The built density of Manhattan is undeniably higher, but the crowds in London bigger. In terms of visual stimulation that's arguable as both cities are mesmerising in different ways, history, architecture, scale, detail, juxtaposition, people, mix etc.
I would agree - I guess in part for me it was more visually stimulating because I'm from North America so it was just more 'different' - add to that the crowds it was awesome. There was just so much going on in central London in terms of street performances, festivals, events I wouldn't rank it less than NYC in terms of vibancy solely because it has less density on paper or because it doesn't have as many tall skyscrapers lol..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 07:25 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smool View Post
yep, as noted in the last few pages the stats on pedestrian activity in London is significantly higher than NYC.
The built density of Manhattan is undeniably higher, but the crowds in London bigger.
Well no, there are been no comparable comparison between NYC and London here.
Especially about the data which are either the number of pedestrian of a whole district but only used for a single street or often inflated figure for publicity. Don't believe everything you see on the web, especially when it comes for an advertising website.
Or a comparison of a long 2km street to a single square.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:34 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Sometimes I feel virtually everyone walking around in Central London are either Tourists or people from the Home Counties. Especially around the West End.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:46 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Do you know where they are from based on how they talk?

I can't imagine most Londoners have any reason to visit places like Piccadilly Circus, but I presume Oxford Street is a popular destination.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:56 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Do you know where they are from based on how they talk?

I can't imagine most Londoners have any reason to visit places like Piccadilly Circus, but I presume Oxford Street is a popular destination.
The RP accent people have that everywhere but the typical London accent I can tell what part of London they live in by the speech. Its normally influenced by their background; its hard to explain...

Old 04-08-2015, 09:32 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
London is very crowded in its "hot spots", but, outside of them, the "vibrancy" decreases quickly and then overall is the least vibrant of those four.
Tokyo is very crowded but i think is a bit overstated about this. It could be way more crowded for a monster of its size than actually is. For example, Times Square beats easily shibuya on average in terms of "crowdiness".

Old 04-09-2015, 01:12 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Times Square beats easily shibuya on average in terms of "crowdiness".
Been to both and have to disagree with you, the only time Times Square is busier than Shibuya is between 1 and 5 AM.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:55 AM

514 posts, read 470,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
London is very crowded in its "hot spots", but, outside of them, the "vibrancy" decreases quickly and then overall is the least vibrant of those four.
Tokyo is very crowded but i think is a bit overstated about this. It could be way more crowded for a monster of its size than actually is. For example, Times Square beats easily shibuya on average in terms of "crowdiness".
I think this is a bit outdated based on visits in the last year. I think London has more nodes of cultural interest and activity dispersed across a wider area than all of these save Tokyo, but the footfall distribution is more uneven. (A disclaimer is I didn't wander around non-tourist Paris as much).

For example, head west from the tourist nodes in Kensington and you have Kensington Palace Gardens (a tree-lined billionaire's row), Kensington High Street (moderate activity but a nice, affluent area), north to Notting Hill (which is leafy and residential) then west to Shepherd's Bush which is very busy.

Head north from Marylebone (moderate footfall) to the parkland area around Regent's Park (quiet and tranquil) to Camden (jam packed). Then further north to Hampstead (vibrant and upclass).

Head east from the West End and you have the City (busy financial/insurance sector), to Shoreditch/Brick Lane (vibrant and active), to Bethnal Green (leafy residential), Whitechapel Road (moderately busy high street with ethnic flavor), to Mile End (concentrated around a university campus full of students), South to Canary Wharf (busy high rise financial zone), to Greenwich (vibrant point of beauty with the Cutty Sark, the gorgeous English baroque Naval College and historic town and indoor market).

Head south from the West End and you have Parliament Square (busy tourist node), Victoria (moderately busy redevelopment zone), Chelsea/King's Road (vibrant and upclass arts hub famous for the Saatchi Gallery and Tate Britain), Pimlico (quiet and residential), South Bank (extremely busy in peak tourist season), Vauxhall/Nine Elms (high rise redevelopment zone which is currently pretty quiet), east to the Tate Modern then Southwark (a reasonably busy tourist node with famous indoor market and food stalls).

Then you have outlying points of interest such as Epsom, Guildford, Richmond, and so on.

Of course all this ignores the city core (what I call tourist boom Central London), the West End from Mayfair to Bloomsbury, St James's and the Royal Parks to the Kensington museum district.

Visit all the above, and you feel like you've still barely touched the surface of London.

Last edited by Yousseff; 04-09-2015 at 03:23 AM..

Old 04-12-2015, 02:37 PM

75 posts, read 89,867 times
London and Paris feel kind of sleepy compared to NYC and Tokyo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World