Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toughest word?
Carribean 2 6.67%
Morroco 1 3.33%
your/you're 2 6.67%
Columbia 0 0%
Eyjafjallajökull 18 60.00%
Other, please specify 7 23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 11:30 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,690,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Anyway the hardest word to spell is probably the name of this Welsh town (http://http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ysiliogogogoch). The name of this hill in New Zealand maybe is even harder (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...enuakitanatahu), it must be a nightmare to spell it correctly
Yeah. The Finnish word ymmärtämättömyydellänsäkään (even with their non-understandingness) is a walk in the park compared to those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 02:15 PM

50,085 posts, read 63,445,200 times
pallet, palette, palate

Old 04-05-2015, 05:40 PM

668 posts, read 983,827 times
People always misspell my name, always

My name is Seweryn Szeliga
(pronounced sev-e-ryn)

It drives me nuts
Just because it's not an English name !

Old 04-05-2015, 05:54 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,640,560 times
I never had an issue with there their and they're. or to too and two.

Rather my issue is with affect and effect. i can NEVER remember when to use which one, idk why I have like some sort of mental block with it. It's so annoying sometimes.

Also mediterranean .... i frequently eff that one up.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:34 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,663,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius Sirius View Post
People always misspell my name, always

My name is Seweryn Szeliga
Most people can 't spell Saggitarius Serious, either.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:11 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,056,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
As xander already said, we don't have problems with immigrate / emigrate because those words are extremely similar to the Italian immigrare/emigrare. This similarities between English and Italian (for the Latin derived words) could be useful in a lot of cases, but can also give some trouble when the spelling are really similar but not exactly the same (for example "relevant" vs "rilevante", or "particular" vs "particolare").

About the first part, sincerely I started to notice that spelling and pronunciation could be a problem just when I started to study foreign languages, and in particular English. In fact, so that our spelling rules are really regular and every letter/syllable corresponds to a sound, I tend to don't focus so much on the spelling when I write in Italian (there are some little exceptions that require some more attention, i.e. "ce" vs "c'é", but really few if compared to English).

But I can't do the same with English, because in English words with the same pronunciation could have a different spelling, and words with the same spelling could have a different pronunciation!
The main problem that I have with English in practice is that I can't predict the spelling of a word when I hear it, nor I can predict the pronunciation of a word when I read it for the first time. In practice I have to remember the pronunciation and the letter by letter spelling of every new English word I learn.
well, I think your English is very good!

... Spelling in English isn't a problem for me, but I do prefer the way Italian words are spelt as they are heard.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:18 PM

11,223 posts, read 16,362,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Is the Canadian English more like USA or UK?
Listening to people from Canada it appears to sound more like USA.
I'm no expert, but it seems split 50/50 to me. Could just be my region though. I'm plunged pretty deep into America.

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 04-05-2015 at 10:40 PM..

Old 04-05-2015, 10:19 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,028,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Uh huh.

I used to have a level of respect for you and your opinions.....

Old 04-06-2015, 04:34 AM

936 posts, read 812,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I think most can blame mis-spells on Auto-correct built in to their computers nowadays....I know I have had to edit more posts than ever since I got my new laptop..Drives me crazy.

In Canada fo r example many words such as color/colour indicate my color as INCORRECT...But up here we don't spell it with the "U" But knowing that makes me smile..so try to remember to include the "U's" as I post with mostly American's..Us Canadian's are non-plussed by such things

I'm sure those who post from outside of North America..and English is NOT first language can get confused...Personally, I'm impressed how well everybody handles it!!

You've obviously downloaded your web browser from an American website, which comes with a preinstalled American dictionary.

Microsoft and Mozilla (FireFox) also offer British English dictionaries as service packs that you can add to your browser and set as your default spell check. All of those nasty red lines and error messages will go away.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:40 AM

936 posts, read 812,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I never had an issue with there their and they're. or to too and two.

Rather my issue is with affect and effect.
Other words that give people problems are except and accept.

On another thread here, a Dutchman wrote that he drank "whine" instead of wine for Easter. That's funny. I love wine, but I hate whiners.

Last edited by RDM66; 04-06-2015 at 04:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World