Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:57 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times

Advertisements

Haiti is the worst place to live. If some of you are saying the American south then you're out your minds. I think Haiti is the only 4th world country today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 09:37 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - It was lunchtime in one of Haiti's worst slums, and Charlene Dumas was eating mud. With food prices rising, Haiti's poorest can't afford even a daily plate of rice, and some take desperate measures to fill their bellies. Charlene, 16 with a 1-month-old son, has come to rely on a traditional Haitian remedy for hunger pangs: cookies made of dried yellow dirt from the country's central plateau.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080130/ap_ ... vhx2us0NUE (broken link)

Eating Dirt.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:04 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbaker999 View Post
Hi there

Does anyone know of any "worst places to live in..." rankings in their own or other people's countries?

This is for a piece I am writing for a paper here in the UK. I have listings for the UK and the US but would be interested in any others.

Many thanks

David
I've heard about a place in Colombia...

Old 02-27-2008, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 5,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Bangkok. It's the armpit of the world.

I would not want to live in New Jersey or the South of the United States either.

why armpit??? LOL

Old 03-02-2008, 07:36 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,634 times
Just a darn minute-I hope people here are responding based on personal information. For instance the poster who casually said(and I paraphrase) ."..there are worst states like Mississippi..." Here we go again. Have you been to all of Mississippi? The obesity, lower education, and general poverty is mainly reported in from the Delta. It would be like determing the quality of life of Philadelphia based on the ghetto stats. It is largely rural and the small towns are simple, but the urban life is like any other place. Mississippi is lovely with beautiful gardens, stately homes, and a wonderful quality of life. The small city I live in has several Starbucks along with other coffee bars, a French pastry shop not to be beaten, several sushi places, two universities, (the college football home of none other than Brett Favre who still lives here in the off season), a music scene, a state of the art public library, an arts community, biking, camping, walking trails, fitness centers galore, malls, restaurants, beautiful golf courses where you don't need tee times, and on and on. Can you just imagine that?

Old 05-03-2008, 07:15 AM

17 posts, read 112,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Bangkok. It's the armpit of the world.

I would not want to live in New Jersey or the South of the United States either.
Well, I lived 20 years in New Jersey and now have lived 3 in Bangkok, plus many other places in-between. Have you ever lived in either place?

There is nothing even remotely terrible about New Jersey or Bangkok that would put them on the "worst places to live" list. Bangkok is a wonderful city but with the normal problems you will find in any metropolis, anywhere in the world (in particular traffic is bad).

For me, Dhaka Bangladesh would be the least desirable place to live. It is very polluted, very crowded, very very poor, loud, dusty, very corrupt, devoid of things to do or see, and on top of all that, it is prone to typhoons.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:40 PM

60 posts, read 411,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbaker999 View Post
Hi there

Does anyone know of any "worst places to live in..." rankings in their own or other people's countries?

This is for a piece I am writing for a paper here in the UK. I have listings for the UK and the US but would be interested in any others.

Many thanks

David
In The Netherlands there is a list from the government called Vogelaarwijken, the 40 worst districts and they get financial support. This list is often debated (some people think some districts should get in the list, or others are 'too good'). Generally the list suggests that, my rough estimation, around half of the people in the city of Arnhem lives in such a district, and in Rotterdam it's close to half.

Here's a list with cities and number of Vogelaarwijken.
7: Rotterdam
6: Amsterdam
4: The Hague, Utrecht, Arnhem
3: Eindhoven
2: Groningen
1: Alkmaar, Amersfoort, Deventer, Dordrecht, Enschede, Heerlen, Leeuwarden, Maastricht, Nijmegen, Schiedam, Zaanstad

Good luck with your rapport.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:48 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Some (majority African and Muslim) suburbs of Paris and other French cities.
Very bad neighborhoods, dirty, dangerous, violent at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World