Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 11:52 AM

14,799 posts, read 21,405,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony69 View Post
I love how Americans cannot stand not being number one!

China is far more diverse landscape wise, the US is relatively homogeneous geographically speaking. Half of the US is composed of desert and plains.
i was the one who said China has more landscape diversity than the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 12:29 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,676,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Key West is not the warmest spot in the Keys. That distinction goes to Marathon Key, with an annual mean average temp of 78.5F, warmer than Sanya's 78.4F. And keep in mind this is at a latitude much further away from the equator, and outside the tropics, compared to Sanya.

Hottest Places in United States - Current Results

Some places have continuously, others have stayed the same, others have even gotten more cold snaps than previously, from 1971-2000 to 1981-2010.

I meant within the country.
Okay, so Marathon has a mean temperature higher by 0,1°F

The US measures in Fahrenheit, China like most of the world measures in C°
Both 78,4°F and 78,5°F are 25,8°C using only one decimal place.
The Wikipedia climate box for Sanya translated the 25,8°C to 78,4°F(because it's closer to 78,4°F than it is to 78,5), but it could be aswell 78,5°F because 78,5°F is still closer to 25,8°C than it's to 25,9C
This is a greyzone of translating different units.
So we can't be completely sure if Marathon is warmer or if they are tied.

But it's still not the same time period.
I think that it's more likely than not that Sanya with 1981-2010 normals would surpass Marathon Key
And yes the warmth of Florida is far more impressive due to it's higher latitude, but i never argued against that.

The Big Majority of climates have wamed up from 1971-2000 to 1981-2010.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:57 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,697,336 times
Sanya is a prosperous city with nearly 700,000 residents and many tourists from different countries. It is not some island village which no one cares about.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:23 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,650,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Sanya is a prosperous city with nearly 700,000 residents and many tourists from different countries. It is not some island village which no one cares about.
Where do you come up with this nonsense? Why does the population matter at all?

Old 04-25-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Where do you come up with this nonsense? Why does the population matter at all?
Because cities are much more accessible and can be reached by people who are interested.
That's all that matters to most people.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Because cities are much more accessible and can be reached by people who are interested.
That's all that matters to most people.
You do realize that this thread is about landscape diversity, right? Tibet and Alaska certainly aren't accessible but it would be absurd to claim it doesn't count in their respective countries landscape diversity.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
You do realize that this thread is about landscape diversity, right? Tibet and Alaska certainly aren't accessible but it would be absurd to claim it doesn't count in their respective countries landscape diversity.
My point is, accessible places should be given more weights.

Suppose I like tropical weather, it is possible for me to find a job in Miami or Sanya, or purchase a house there. But you can hardly do that in Key West or some island in south China sea.

Lhasa has several hundred thousand people too. At least it is easy to find a nice hotel there with good restaurants nearby. So it gives us a chance to experience the landscape and weather of Tibet.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
My point is, accessible places should be given more weights.

Suppose I like tropical weather, it is possible for me to find a job in Miami or Sanya, or purchase a house there. But you can hardly do that in Key West or some island in south China sea.

Lhasa has several hundred thousand people too. At least it is easy to find a nice hotel there with good restaurants nearby. So it gives us a chance to experience the landscape and weather of Tibet.
I don't think so. This thread strikes me more as about places to visit, not live in.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:14 PM

100 posts, read 137,693 times
There is tropical jungle in the U.S.

Let me break this down: China has true Tropical Rainforest in far southern Yunnan and parts of Hainan Island. The only other tropical forests it has are Tropical Semi-Deciduous Rainforests of the far southern limits of the country, like in southern Guangxi and southwestern Fujian. When we look at the variety of tropical climates China has, and how much land it covers, it's an area of Tropical Monsoon climate limited to the southern half of Hainan Island...that's it.

Now let's look at the United States. You know all those land areas people carelessly pass over, describing them as swamps? Like China, these areas, at the southern portion of the Deep South, are in fact Tropical Semi-Deciduous Rainforests, and there are quite a few of them in the southern Deep South and the coastal areas. Southern and a little bit of Central Florida due indeed contain scattered regions of pretty significant, true Tropical Rainforests, scattered amongst the plentiful regions of Tropical and Subtropical savannas that stretch throughout a good portion of Florida, the Southeast, the Southern and Central plains, as far north as far southern Nebraska, and the southern areas of the Midwestern region, an ecosystem that China does not have. Hawaii also has true Tropical Rainforest. The array of Tropical climates that the U.S. Has is also much greater than China's. Take a look at the Tropical Savanna climates of Florida, far South Texas, and Hawaii, the Tropical Rainforest climates of Florida and Hawaii, and the Tropical Monsoon climate of Florida to realize that. All that combines to make a tropical area quite a bit larger than China's. Not to mention, the Humid Subtropical climate of the United States is the largest climate zone of the USA, is just as large as China's, and is in fact warmer on average than China's. You can't say bamboo and eucalyptus trees must be a category met, and if not, the USA isn't as diverse, because specific plant species simply aren't ubiquitous enough in the world for them to be so. They're endemic to that area. It's not like Redwood and Sequoia forests and Cypress swamps would be a benchmark that another country would have to meet in order to qualify as more diverse than the USA

Old 04-30-2015, 07:24 PM

100 posts, read 137,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not really, it's not odd at all. The other big landmass of Cfa climate in the world, China, is rather similar in its extreme lows. Wuhan has an extreme low of -1°F at 30°N. Nanjing, 2°F, at 32°N. All have colder winters on average than the US South, and gloomier weather. The US Deep South is a much better climate, IMO.
The guys that ridiculously made the statement that the vast majority of the USA is cold winter continental is ridiculous. The vast majority is Humid Subtropical, with a just as large array of hot and warm arid and semi arid climates, a Mediterranean climate that extends farther inland than any other Mediterranean climate does, and huge chunk of Maritime in the Northwest, a variety of tropical climates in Florida, far south Texas, and Hawaii, large blotches of Warm Temperate in the western Midwest, nort-central plains, and southern New England, and then, an area of Humid Continental that encompasses the Upper Midwest and Northern and Central New England. You're obviously trying to darken the countries image by painting it as a cold, dead, bleak, snowy wasteland. What a laugh you gave me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World