Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 12:40 PM

676 posts, read 646,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada number one View Post
Actually Canada has more climactic diversity than any other country in the world.
You mean from cold and wet, cold and dry, and cold as ****?

Per the question the US because there's almost everything there. The two extremes between Barrow Alaska and Saipan Northern Mariana Islands and everything in between. China a little less so as they have fewer colonial outposts and is landlocked on their western border. Maybe they have similar climatic and landscape diversity, but not as appealing to human society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 09:12 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Topographically speaking, China takes the cake. China is the most topographically interesting country on Earth. The Alps and the Rockies don't hold a candle to the ranges that criss cross all over western China. Basically everything outside of the yellow river plain part of China is very topographically interesting. There's some incredibly bizarre topography all over southern China that 99% of Europeans or Americans know nothing about.

Old 09-02-2021, 09:56 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Topographically speaking, China takes the cake. China is the most topographically interesting country on Earth. The Alps and the Rockies don't hold a candle to the ranges that criss cross all over western China. Basically everything outside of the yellow river plain part of China is very topographically interesting. There's some incredibly bizarre topography all over southern China that 99% of Europeans or Americans know nothing about.
I would agree with that, I have never been to the USA, but china does indeed have amazing topography.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:24 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I would agree with that, I have never been to the USA, but china does indeed have amazing topography.
The US is pretty decent, but outside of Denali, there's nothing that comes close to the scale of the ranges in China. And in Sichuan and Yunnan, they go from subtropical to glacier, whereas most of the Rockies in the US are cold and dry on bottom too, so you don't get the same gradient shift. The Appalachians are cool, but China just has millions more acres than the US of Appalachian like landscape.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:15 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
The US is pretty decent, but outside of Denali, there's nothing that comes close to the scale of the ranges in China. And in Sichuan and Yunnan, they go from subtropical to glacier, whereas most of the Rockies in the US are cold and dry on bottom too, so you don't get the same gradient shift. The Appalachians are cool, but China just has millions more acres than the US of Appalachian like landscape.
I was going to mention Sichuan and Yunnan specifically, however they are the only two "Southern" Chinese Provinces I have been too, so I was not in a position to comment on the entire reigon.

I have travelled to 60 countries myself, and from my experiences I would put that region of the world at the very top without a doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World