Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:41 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Most of brazilians, including myself, prefer quality of life over power, if we must choose between both. We would be proud if Brazil become a powerful country, but between choosing to be powerful like China or Russia and less powerful but with economic and social welfare like Australia or Sweden, most of us will prefer the last choice.
Who would choose to be China or Russia when Australia and Sweden were options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 09:47 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Quote:
The European Union could be a great power, especially in a defensive
sense
Perhaps. But in my opinion I'd think it would be very very difficult. I think population trends and the fact that there's simply just alot of 'different' people in that geographic area. If great power does come to the EU it will take geniuses who know how to have cultures 'cooperate' to a much higher extent than they do now. I think an important question is if that is an ideal to what extent would each nation be motivated to achieve the goal of a great power? It would be a haul I think.And then somebody's got to be the big cheese or will it be all are equal? 'Consensual' power is nice but there has to be a reality there.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:53 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Most of brazilians, including myself, prefer quality of life over power, if we must choose between both. We would be proud if Brazil become a powerful country, but between choosing to be powerful like China or Russia and less powerful but with economic and social welfare like Australia or Sweden, most of us will prefer the last choice.
Or you could combine both and end up with the UK, France and Germany.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:56 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
That is a wise choice.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:05 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Perhaps. But in my opinion I'd think it would be very very difficult. I think population trends and the fact that there's simply just alot of 'different' people in that geographic area. If great power does come to the EU it will take geniuses who know how to have cultures 'cooperate' to a much higher extent than they do now. I think an important question is if that is an ideal to what extent would each nation be motivated to achieve the goal of a great power? It would be a haul I think.And then somebody's got to be the big cheese or will it be all are equal? 'Consensual' power is nice but there has to be a reality there.
What I meant was that even though Europe is divided, the Europeans already have great defensive strength. Especially with economics and foreign trade. For instance, the Europeans have been united when having trade disputes and negotiating trade deals with the USA, Canada, China, Russia etc.

Politically and militarily they are far less united. But even then, defensively, the Europeans are very united. For instance, if a Hitler tried to attack Poland today like he did in 1939, he would not just face the British and the French, but the almost the whole of Europe from Portugal and Spain all the way to the Baltics.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:45 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,972,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudio-claudio View Post
China
India
Russia
EEUU
Brazil
France
UK
The US isn't even a great power?

Old 04-13-2015, 10:53 AM

2,946 posts, read 2,914,264 times
Quote:
italy is a world power in pizza

i can't think of anything italy could be a world power

military? no
economic? no
cultural? no
Pope Francis (4th most powerfull person in the world, according to Forbes The World's Most Powerful People List - Forbes), Vatican (head of one of the two most important religions in the world today) says hello!
(Now don't come with the silly and purely nominalist argument of vatican being "other separated country")

I don't say that Italy is an actual world great power, (is debatable), but you can't dismiss that country in so disrespectful way

Old 04-13-2015, 11:30 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Pope Francis (4th most powerfull person in the world, according to Forbes The World's Most Powerful People List - Forbes), Vatican (head of one of the two most important religions in the world today) says hello!
(Now don't come with the silly and purely nominalist argument of vatican being "other separated country")

I don't say that Italy is an actual world great power, (is debatable), but you can't dismiss that country in so disrespectful way
And... Francis is from Argentina, not from Italy...

Old 04-13-2015, 12:31 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Quote:

As a Brazilian I must say that you are right.

Most Brazilians don't give a damn for the idea of Brazil being a military power, with lots of missiles and a super space program that sends probes to the Moon.

What the majority wants is just to have a decent HDI some day. That's much more important.

Well, if it was possible to send some probes to the Moon as well, that would be cool

Old 04-13-2015, 01:50 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,055 times
Quote:
italy is a world power in pizza

i can't think of anything italy could be a world power

military? no
economic? no
cultural? no
A little off topic here, Italy is a real cultural superpower. Let's not forget where the Renaissance was born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World