Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:39 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Even S korea is a greater power than Italy. What does Italy bring to the world nowadays? Gucci?

Italy's economy is 50% larger than Korea's, yet Korea is a greater power than Italy? Lol, nothing less from you.

Italy is:
1. A leading power in fashion industry.
Milan and Paris are THE fashion capitals of the world. You're probably gonna come up with another knee-jerk reaction like 'who cares about Gucci and Valentino and Versace???' but regardless, fashion is a huge industry.

2. Home to one of the most prosperous film industries outside of Hollywood.
Italy has single-handedly won 14 Oscars in the category of Best Foreign Language Film, more so than any other country in the world, while Korea has never even been nominated; and Venice Film Festival is one of the three most prestigious film festivals in the world.

3. Home to perhaps some of the fanciest cars.
Ever heard of Ferrari? That's Italian. Not that I'm saying Hyundai is bad or anything.

4. Home to one of the largest arm forces.
Italy is the only country other than America and India that has more than one aircraft carrier in service, while Korea has um...zero.

5. A leading power in tourism.
Italy hosts more than 45 million tourists annually, ranked 5th out of all countries.

6. Home to 50 World Heritage Sites.
More so than any other country in the world, while Korea has 11(which is pretty impressive as well).

I can go on and on. Italy's economy might be in trouble, and Italian politicians might be as bad as Taiwanese ones(ew), but it is way more influential than Korea. Korea has a long way to go to outrank Italy.

Last edited by Greysholic; 04-15-2015 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 03:38 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

Italy's economy is 50% larger than Korea's, yet Korea is a greater power than Italy? Lol, nothing less from you.

Italy is:
1. A leading power in fashion industry.
Milan and Paris are THE fashion capitals of the world. You're probably gonna come up with another knee-jerk reaction like 'who cares about Gucci and Valentino and Versace???' but regardless, fashion is a huge industry.

2. Home to one of the most prosperous film industries outside of Hollywood.
Italy has single-handedly won 14 Oscars in the category of Best Foreign Language Film, more so than any other country in the world, while Korea has never even been nominated; and Venice Film Festival is one of the three most prestigious film festivals in the world.

3. Home to perhaps some of the fanciest cars.
Ever heard of Ferrari? That's Italian. Not that I'm saying Hyundai is bad or anything.

4. Home to one of the largest arm forces.
Italy is the only country other than America and India that has more than one aircraft carrier in service, while Korea has um...zero.

5. A leading power in tourism.
Italy hosts more than 45 million tourists annually, ranked 5th out of all countries.

6. Home to 50 World Heritage Sites.
More so than any other country in the world, while Korea has 11(which is pretty impressive as well).

I can go on and on. Italy's economy might be in trouble, and Italian politicians might be as bad as Taiwanese ones(ew), but it is way more influential than Korea. Korea has a long way to go to outrank Italy.
I agree, too bad i can't give you rep now, our cultural output is far larger than that of South Korea and the same goes for our economy, our problem is that we are overshadowed by Germany inside the EU and by France and the UK outside of it as they are able to influence larger parts of the world due to their colonial history.

The economy is improving one again (although very slightly) and the current government has done well so far especially by our standards, there has also been a renovation in our politics in the last few years. Our politicians are still the most corrupt of the developed world which is a shame, although a new corruption law (weaker than the one initialluy proposed) has just been passed

Old 04-15-2015, 08:02 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
What I meant was that even though Europe is divided, the Europeans already have great defensive strength. Especially with economics and foreign trade. For instance, the Europeans have been united when having trade disputes and negotiating trade deals with the USA, Canada, China, Russia etc.

Politically and militarily they are far less united. But even then, defensively, the Europeans are very united. For instance, if a Hitler tried to attack Poland today like he did in 1939, he would not just face the British and the French, but the almost the whole of Europe from Portugal and Spain all the way to the Baltics.
I guess that's why Crimea was such a cake walk and the Ukraine is holding it's breath because you folks are all so united. Modern day Hitler called Putin is thumbing his nose at you all. You're talking big but pizzing vinegar.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:45 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Could it be that the reason we are such a successful country is that we take seriously the art of sizing up the geopolitical situation to see which way the wind is blowing? The US is easily the most dominant power, the only superpower. If you feel that claim insults you, I guess that's that as it unveils a juicy piece of the British cultural cringe. Continue your downward spiral then, we did all we could for you in 1914-18 and 1939-45, apparently it wasn't enough to prevent the militant self-suicide upon which so many Brits are intent.
I often read this view, care to explain exactly how Britain is on a 'downward spiral'???

Old 04-16-2015, 08:14 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
how does it have anything to do with current day power?

Even S korea is a greater power than Italy. What does Italy bring to the world nowadays? Gucci?
Italy has a large military - one of the largest in the world - and one of the largest economies, being in the trillion dollar club. Clearly it is more of a great power than South Korea.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:17 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I agree, too bad i can't give you rep now, our cultural output is far larger than that of South Korea and the same goes for our economy, our problem is that we are overshadowed by Germany inside the EU and by France and the UK outside of it as they are able to influence larger parts of the world due to their colonial history.

The economy is improving one again (although very slightly) and the current government has done well so far especially by our standards, there has also been a renovation in our politics in the last few years. Our politicians are still the most corrupt of the developed world which is a shame, although a new corruption law (weaker than the one initialluy proposed) has just been passed
I think our politicians are the most corrupt of the developed world tbh. I mean yeah I've heard of some terrible stuff about Italian political scene but Taiwanese politicians are just...impossible to find a word to describe them. They are the absolute worst, no kidding.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:07 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
Re: "Politically and militarily they are far less united. But even then, defensively, the Europeans are very united. For instance, if a Hitler tried to attack Poland today like he did in 1939, he would not just face the British and the French, but the almost the whole of Europe from Portugal and Spain all the way to the Baltics"

You know I agree in the main in that. But what I'd suggest is that a question exists as to how far Europe will go to say 'protect' its own in case of aggression by great powers?

So just for argument's sake would Europe unilaterally protect Italy or Spain or little Latvia under circumstances like Ukraine? Look what's happening in Ukraine where a 'great power' baldly dismisses a country's sovereignity. I don't think we had what we can call a decisive and forthright united European response. Kind of business as usual. So for the future I believe that will be a very pressing issue for Europe to deal with.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:19 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
So just for argument's sake would Europe unilaterally protect Italy or Spain or little Latvia under circumstances like Ukraine? Look what's happening in Ukraine where a 'great power' baldly dismisses a country's sovereignity. I don't think we had what we can call a decisive and forthright united European response. Kind of business as usual. So for the future I believe that will be a very pressing issue for Europe to deal with.
They would have to. And they would.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:57 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
^
I would hope so. Lotsa buzzing around the air and clouds in the Baltics these days. I think you may be getting some flyovers too. And Sweden well they probably saved a lot of money but now are in the situation of losing their pants. Maybe someday soon Europe will have to follow up on your request. As they should.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:25 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
^
I would hope so. Lotsa buzzing around the air and clouds in the Baltics these days. I think you may be getting some flyovers too. And Sweden well they probably saved a lot of money but now are in the situation of losing their pants. Maybe someday soon Europe will have to follow up on your request. As they should.
Yes, they have had some violations of territory both in air and sea, but these have been minor and lasted for mere some minutes. The NATO fighters have intercepted them properly every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World