Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 11:26 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,662,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
According the stereotype in China, people in East China are indeed smart, so are those in provinces near the Yangtze River. Hong Kong is in the deep south of China, where people are not stereotypically very smart. But Hong Kong is a major city attracting people from other places, and it is supposed to be above average in that region.

This set of data actually reflects the stereotype in China well.
You do realize that an IQ of 115 is one standard deviation above the average person in the west? The average college professor in the US has an IQ of 115. I don't buy for one second that the average IQ in Shanghai is equal to the average college professor in the USA. Other studies I have seen suggest an IQ about 107-108 which I find much more believable.

If the people of China are that much smarter than the people of the west, how can you explain the amount of Nobel laureates? Look at Ashkenazi Jews for example, there are 11 million of them in the world yet they have won over 22% of Nobel Prizes. The high end estimate of their IQ is 113-115. The population of Shanghai and Beijing have more than four times the population of the number of Ashkenazi Jews in the world. Why don't we see total dominance in STEM fields if that is the case?

https://theslittyeye.wordpress.com/2...aphy-in-china/

Look at this study. Notice how Shanghai is lower and Tibet is WAY higher. The origonal posted study screems flawed study to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 11:47 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
You do realize that an IQ of 115 is one standard deviation above the average person in the west? The average college professor in the US has an IQ of 115. I don't buy for one second that the average IQ in Shanghai is equal to the average college professor in the USA. Other studies I have seen suggest an IQ about 107-108 which I find much more believable.

If the people of China are that much smarter than the people of the west, how can you explain the amount of Nobel laureates? Look at Ashkenazi Jews for example, there are 11 million of them in the world yet they have won over 22% of Nobel Prizes. The high end estimate of their IQ is 113-115. The population of Shanghai and Beijing have more than four times the population of the number of Ashkenazi Jews in the world. Why don't we see total dominance in STEM fields if that is the case?

Look at this study. Notice how Shanghai is lower and Tibet is WAY higher. The origonal posted study screems flawed study to me.
China was so chaotic and poor, and you expect them to win Nobel prize? What's your reasoning?
IQ is only one factor of success too.

Do you know high school students from Shanghai top ALL subjects in PISA? Hong Kong students were not bad either, but Shanghai students were extraordinarily good in the test.

Programme for International Student Assessment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-17-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
China was so chaotic and poor, and you expect them to win Nobel prize? What's your reasoning?
IQ is only one factor of success too.

Do you know high school students from Shanghai top ALL subjects in PISA? Hong Kong students were not bad either, but Shanghai students were extraordinarily good in the test.

Programme for International Student Assessment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If their IQ was so high they wouldn't have been so poor. Can you think of a group more hated by much of the world than Jews? Yet through massive hardship they have been incredibly successful.

I certainly do not doubt that the people of Shanghai are very intelligent, I am aware of their PISA scores, but I think an IQ of 115 is simply unreasonable.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:38 AM

23 posts, read 146,191 times
Quote:

IQ test result on iqeq.com.cn
It's just a non-sense result from a IQ-test website.Everyone can choose age, province freely, and even take the same test for multiple times.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
If their IQ was so high they wouldn't have been so poor. Can you think of a group more hated by much of the world than Jews? Yet through massive hardship they have been incredibly successful.

I certainly do not doubt that the people of Shanghai are very intelligent, I am aware of their PISA scores, but I think an IQ of 115 is simply unreasonable.
China was not always poor. It was the richest nation 1000 years ago.
All nations go up and down. Now China is going up.

Genetically, Jews are not really a single group. For example, many of the successful Jews are genetically similar/identical to Germans now.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:18 AM

23 posts, read 146,191 times
Quote:

China's ministry of health did the same study on 1995, the result was a lot lower than 2005's due to the problem of iodization dificiency among many children in China. Then salt sold in china is largely iodized in step with a national policy to prevent & deal with iodine deficiency disorders, and it really works. Children's IQ in Zhejiang had increased from around 106 to 115.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:38 AM

Quote:
China was not always poor. It was the richest nation 1000 years ago.
All nations go up and down. Now China is going up.

Genetically, Jews are not really a single group. For example, many of the successful Jews are genetically similar/identical to Germans now.
That's why I refered to Ashkenazi Jews. They are a single group. India was the richest nation 1000 years ago, not China. What made a country rich 1000 years ago is very different from what makes a country rich now.

Last edited by Iaskwhy; 04-17-2015 at 03:19 AM..

Old 04-17-2015, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1993 View Post
China's ministry of health did the same study on 1995, the result was a lot lower than 2005's due to the problem of iodization dificiency among many children in China. Then salt sold in china is largely iodized in step with a national policy to prevent & deal with iodine deficiency disorders, and it really works. Children's IQ in Zhejiang had increased from around 106 to 115.
You are repeating the article which I believe is nonsense.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:39 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smool View Post
IQ scores in East Asia are the highest in the world (and largest average brain size, though of course that isn't indicative of intelligence as far as we know).

By rank of country:

1. Hong Kong 107
2. South Korea 106
3. Japan 105
4. Taiwan 104
5. China 103

and an outlier in SE Asia, 6. Singapore 103

that's 1.5 billion people at 104 average.
You actually believe in this IQ crap?

Old 04-17-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
That's why I refered to Ashkenazi Jews. They are a single group. India was the richest nation 1000 years ago, not China. What made a country rich 1000 years ago is very different from what makes a country rich now.
It is China, not India. Listen to Marco Polo. Lol

What makes a country rich now is indeed different. For example, Saudi Arabia is among the richest in the world. But 1000 years ago, you could not rely on oil to be rich. It's strange you want to make a simplistic connection between wealth and IQ. Even so, China has not been a poor nation for the most part of history.

Jews are fully exposed to western civilization. You can't compare Jews with eastern nations. Very simple logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World