Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2017, 11:49 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,251,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
No, I don't want a larger version of Disneyland...though that would probably be one of the more optimistic scenarios if we again tried Urban Renewal.
We sit now and lament how the modernist knocked down all of those beautiful Victorian buildings. They at the time thought of them as backward grotesque monstrosities from an less then enlightened age. They were obviously wrong. We would be as pigheaded as they were if we did the same thing to modernist buildings. You may not see the beauty in them but your descendants 100 years from now probably will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 06:03 PM

6,843 posts, read 11,019,165 times
North American cities and towns shouldn't try to emulate European cities or towns, or any type of cities or towns for that matter. The same can be said vice versa, what works on one continent isn't necessarily needed on another continent.

I alluded to maybe last week (in the most comparable American city to Sydney thread) when I said that people on the Internet have an unhealthy habit of clinging onto city versus city comparisons that aren't applicable or simply don't exist in real life on comparable parameters. It always just seems like people on this forum and the Internet in general are so happy to declare a city as a bigger version of X or a mini version of Y or a "similar version" of Z. It's nonsensical.

New York is New York. Paris is Paris. Washington is Washington, just like Stockholm is Stockholm. Why can't people just be alright with that as status quo? Why do people always go like "I went to City X and it reminded me of City Y" and then when you look into what they said, you find that the cities are nothing alike at all. Not even remotely. It just cheapens potential perception you could have for a place when you do that.

The only thing North American cities really need is to up their game on infrastructure, they need better public transport and possibly reduce their violent crime rate to more respectable levels. Those shouldn't even be viewed as factors that try to emulate European cities or towns, but factors that all global cities need.

North American cities are fine the way they are built, they don't need to emulate European cities. Two different continents and two different styles, serving two different purposes and having two different sets of strengths. North America just needs to work on improving itself internally. That's all.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:48 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,616,226 times
The lack of density of many american cities make them impossible to be served by decent public transit.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:38 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,005,606 times
I can imagine taking inspiration from Europe, if adding new urban neighborhoods to a N. American city. In terms of land area, I am thinking of only a small percentage of a given metropolitan area. Most of the land area would likely remain as it is now-suburban.

I imagine constructing these new neighborhoods next to an existing (North American style) downtown.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:29 AM

That being said, I suppose that one could take inspiration from Asian cities, or South American cities. Or to put it another way, perhaps these other cultures have a few ideas with stealing?

Old 07-19-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
The lack of density of many american cities make them impossible to be served by decent public transit.
Bus routes, perhaps. But rail only where the density is high-which severely limits the possibilities.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:13 PM

810 posts, read 671,612 times
You guys wanna see something funny? There's a small shopping center in Raleigh that's designed to resemble a European village. Shops, cafes, wine bars, etc. It's somewhat cheesy and anyone that's actually been to Europe won't mistake this for France but it IS something...Personally I think it resembles a movie set.

About | Lafayette Village Raleigh

Old 07-19-2017, 01:26 PM

810 posts, read 671,612 times
dunno if anyone has mentioned this before either but one of our more popular amusement parks Busch Gardens, Williamsburg is modeled after Europe. It's been voted the most beautiful park in the world many times and personally my favorite. Just thought some Europeans would find this kind of funny

Old 07-19-2017, 02:33 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,947,346 times
I think it's not just an American problem. I think that most countries are no longer great at urban design.

Here in Europe, the most beautiful urban environments are almost always those with well-preserved older buildings, rather than those dominated by modern structures.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:34 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,947,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
dunno if anyone has mentioned this before either but one of our more popular amusement parks Busch Gardens, Williamsburg is modeled after Europe. It's been voted the most beautiful park in the world many times and personally my favorite. Just thought some Europeans would find this kind of funny
That does look pretty fun, it's like a museum of stereotypes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World