Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 07:53 PM

138 posts, read 130,633 times

Advertisements

Americans considering they speak English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Brits are stereotype as cold and distant, yet a lot of Brits, for some reason, had no problem talking to me in line at the grocery store or whatever . This topic is one of many that attempts to use stereotypes to justify someone's views
English people are cold though. Where I live everyone talks to strangers, we don't have a full blown conversation but we will smile and say do they like the plate we are buying, for example. I find city English people avoid eye contact at every opportunity and act like you'vs asked them for their inheritance when you even say hello..

How dare I have the audacity to speak...

Old 04-17-2015, 08:43 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
You're concentrating on the superficial. OP , from my point of view, was actually asking about developing friendships, not the ease of making small talk or casual conversation with people you don't intend on seeing again
I was also thinking about acquaintances.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:47 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesickness View Post
English people are cold though. Where I live everyone talks to strangers, we don't have a full blown conversation but we will smile and say do they like the plate we are buying, for example. I find city English people avoid eye contact at every opportunity and act like you'vs asked them for their inheritance when you even say hello..

How dare I have the audacity to speak...
No English people aren't cold. Stop your stereotyping. I've lived in England before (and not in London or B'ham or Manc) and you views are 100% based on stereotypes and probably on London if I had to venture a guess. I am not a cold person, and neither is my English wife, and we don't feel the need to have to say hi to everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I was also thinking about acquaintances.
Kinda falls into the category I was describing

Old 04-18-2015, 05:01 AM

Quote:
No English people aren't cold. Stop your stereotyping. I've lived in England before (and not in London or B'ham or Manc) and you views are 100% based on stereotypes and probably on London if I had to venture a guess. I am not a cold person, and neither is my English wife, and we don't feel the need to have to say hi to everybody.

Kinda falls into the category I was describing
I didn't say they were cold, I said they were cold to approach.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:47 AM

676 posts, read 989,819 times
Quote:
Brits are stereotype as cold and distant, yet a lot of Brits, for some reason, had no problem talking to me in line at the grocery store or whatever . This topic is one of many that attempts to use stereotypes to justify someone's views

having lived in the UK, I've first hand experienced how cold and distant they can be, they keep to themselves and don't welcome outsiders

if your not born into that society than your always going to be an outsider, perhaps ironic that they couldn't tell I wasn't British, until I revealed my name

British society in my opinion is narrow-minded, judgmental and the working class has some kind of 'yob culture' if you understand what I mean by that

Old 04-18-2015, 05:51 AM

Even though I am not English I have been there tons of times and I live in a similar country. I would know more than him..

Old 04-18-2015, 11:03 AM

440 posts, read 662,473 times
There are many countries with a culture of talking to strangers, including foreigners. There are also many countries without such culture.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
The OP's failed premise is that the word "friend" has the same connotations in all cultures.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:33 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Bueno View Post
The same. People are people everywhere. Most friendly people are eager to be friendly with other friendly people.

yeah, that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World