Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:37 AM

120 posts, read 137,311 times

Advertisements

Europeans are not one single people with the same characteristics, what a non sense thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:17 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,842,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius Sirius View Post
having lived in the UK, I've first hand experienced how cold and distant they can be, they keep to themselves and don't welcome outsiders

if your not born into that society than your always going to be an outsider, perhaps ironic that they couldn't tell I wasn't British, until I revealed my name

British society in my opinion is narrow-minded, judgmental and the working class has some kind of 'yob culture' if you understand what I mean by that
I've lived in the UK too. That hasn't been my experience at all. I've had plenty of English come and make conversation with me in the town my wife lives in.

So far from I've read on here, the only people that find fault with English people's supposedly unfriendly attitude are people that feel the needto say hi to everyone they see. I'm an American of Spanish descent, and I don't like it when some of my neighbors talk to me, contrary to what my stereotype is. I just want to be left alone under some circumstances. That is not being cold or unfriendly, there's a time and a place to talk, and that's not when I need to get somewhere. I don't like being interrupted. Yet, you and others misinterpret that as being cold, when I am actually a friendly person. And, of course you're going to meet just plain unfriendly people in general. England doesn't have a monopoly on rude persons, and there's nothing wrong with having a sense of personal space and privacy.

From my experience, British society has been kinder to me than American society has, so I don't know what you're talking about. I've experienced more discrimination and hostility towards me in the US than I have had in the UK. I also know about the chavs, they also exist in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony69 View Post
Europeans are not one single people with the same characteristics, what a non sense thread
Well, the OP is American. Par for the course.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:21 PM

366 posts, read 979,539 times
Americans are more inclined to making small talk but they aren't usually willing to go further than that. Same thing for Canadians.

I find however that Europeans (with the exception of the British) especially the French and Spaniards to be the reverse.

Although as humans we all have the same tendency to react based on how others act or behave, I do think that cultural differences within and between Europe and the US make us act/think differently to some degree.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:14 AM

260 posts, read 217,176 times
It's hard to paint people with a broad brush. Some US cities,like Phillly or Boston I find extremely unfriendly. By contrast,a Chicago or LA I find the people much friendlier. Just my own experience.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:42 AM

469 posts, read 573,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Brits are stereotype as cold and distant, yet a lot of Brits, for some reason, had no problem talking to me in line at the grocery store or whatever . This topic is one of many that attempts to use stereotypes to justify someone's views

I've met a lot of British people over the years from almost all parts of the UK and literally every one of them was friendly and polite. So much to the point that it's made me wonder where this stereotype comes from.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:50 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,245,233 times
British people also use alot of sarcasm which imo often is taken a little far.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:53 AM

542 posts, read 499,387 times
Northern Europeans like the British, Germans and Scandinavians and Eastern Europeans like the Russians, Finns, and Ukranians are the most cold, serious, depressing, unloving and rude people in the world. Southern Europeans like Italians are fun loving, humourous, cultured, loving, and hospitable. Go ahead and be deeply offended, but it's the truth.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:34 PM

260 posts, read 217,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Northern Europeans like the British, Germans and Scandinavians and Eastern Europeans like the Russians, Finns, and Ukranians are the most cold, serious, depressing, unloving and rude people in the world. Southern Europeans like Italians are fun loving, humourous, cultured, loving, and hospitable. Go ahead and be deeply offended, but it's the truth.
Ever been to Greece? Rudest,most anti-American people I have ever encountered. Give me Germany or the UK any day of the week.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:42 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,436,337 times
Germans tend to be really friendly I was shocked when I visited Germany so I will say Europe but I have not been to enough European countries to say for certain. Europeans are shocked when American can speak any other language but English thou lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World