Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 02:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
You think Detroit or Chicago is safe?
I have family in Detroit, my cousin's family on my side, and all my in-laws, including one who's a cop. None of them think it is unsafe, nor does anyone else I know from Detroit..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 02:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
I rather be rich in a super rich in a poor country you can hire body guards and pay off anybody you need. These people live in kings in Latin America and in the poor Eastern European country while most of their own country starves to death and makes 2 dollars a day.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:09 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I rather be rich in a super rich in a poor country you can hire body guards and pay off anybody you need. These people live in kings in Latin America and in the poor Eastern European country while most of their own country starves to death and makes 2 dollars a day.
And you can try to help the poor people too don't forget about that.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:27 PM

173 posts, read 159,655 times
Middle class in a developing nation.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:45 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Based on the fact that many middle class people from poor countries choose to move to America and work in fast food I guess the answer is being poor in the rich country. While there are crime problems in the USA the vast percent of murders here are drug dealers killing other drug dealers. In the developing world crime is more random and often law enforcement doesn't even attempt to solve the crime. Things like kidnapping are common. Even in the worst parts of Detroit or Eastern Kentucky electricity works 100% of the time, you can call 911 and someone will quickly show up, and the water coming out of your faucet won't make you sick. Even rich people in poor countries deal with erratic electricity.

I'd also add that being able to get really nice things used at low cost is a plus. You can dress very nice just by going to yard sales or Goodwill. The used car market has lots of reliable newer cars. Etc. In a poorer society people donate less because things are used until used up.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:37 AM

990 posts, read 880,791 times
What you don’t have in mind is that the ‘’developing countries’’ or ‘‘third world’’ between the countries labeled in this group so many are in different developing level…

For example in my country Brazil receives all years hundreds of thousands of immigrants from Bolivia, Paraguay, Peru, Haiti, African countries specially and many others. Is easy imagine that life here (economic, opportunities, services) is better than in their countries.

I worked in Angola for 6 months and there some government services that in any favelas of Brazil is common like water on tap, electricity, removal garbage service, sewer and etc In Angola is just find in middle class districts in big cities and all **** day is cut off for long hours… Remember Angola is one of the richest countries in sub-Saharan Africa rich in oil a OPEP membership.

So the same way that in the ‘’developed world’’ Portugal and Greece are not in the same level of development comparing of Switzerland and USA developing countries are not all in the same level.

Do poor in USA or Germany live better than middle class in most African or South Asian countries? Yes, but these countries really don’t have middle class. Middle-class there is a small high middle-class closer riches and the poor are people little better than miserable to western standard.

In Brazil comparing with the USA the High middle-class (25% or 30% of pp.) have standard of live similar the solid middle-class in the States.
What is for us ‘’low middle-class’’ live like poor north-americans (50% of pp.). They have small houses, old cars but get the necessary for a dignity life.
The rest is miserable comparing with first world standards, but get food, water, cloths, a roof in favelas… Any way better than a ghetto country.

Another interesting example are countries like Spain, Greece, Portugal have the same level of wage than countries like Brazil or Russia for example BUT the level of infrastructure and social public service in these 3 countries are really close Germany, France or UK while in Brazil is really weak in this point.

So responding the question?

Yes I think the low middle-class in the case of Brazil nowadays live worse than poor in the first world. Although wealth in the pockets is not much different the quality of services that the States offers like security, public healthcare, education, infrastructure really is.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:41 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
The big negative about most of North America is that a car is a necessity, not a luxury. So you spend one third or more of your income just a move around. Poor people in other countries can access daily needs on foot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World