Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:43 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Really? that is pretty amazing.

does the $300 a month include everything like utilities, garbage, etc.?
no utilities are never included. Garbage is.

Of course $300 won't give you any great apartment in central locations, but it is definitely doable in many non-central parts of the city.

7 years ago I was renting an old split 2 bedroom apartment for $450 in central Shanghai (Xujiahui). I am sure rents have gone up since then. Nowadays, such prices probably only give you a one bedroom in that location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 12:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Most Chinese undergraduates in the US cannot attend prestigious universities in China.

The college entrance exam in China is very difficult. It is probably the most difficult exam for college admissions in the world.
The number of people who would be accepted to a "prestigious" university in China, or to Princeton or Harvard (as mentioned earlier), is such a ridiculously tiny number of outliers, it could not possibly have any relevance to the topic as a whole.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:24 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westphal View Post
It depends on the choice, which countries are available. Decide between Germany and Russia. That's easy, better homeless in Germany than a millionaire in Russia. Russia is a dictatorship or at least a nearly dictatorship.

Poor in Germany or middle class in Chile? Probably the last one is the better choice, at least if poor in Germany means to live on social benefits for your whole live. Hmmm, but the other way around living on social benefits for your whole live would mean a lot of time to spend for playing video games for example.

I think living poor in a developed country with a good welfare system is the better choice.
You must think either that being homeless is a cakewalk or that Russia is some kinda hell on earth. Neither is remotely true (though on the homeless question, I am just speculating).

Old 04-20-2015, 03:52 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,452 times
Quote:
Most Chinese undergraduates in the US cannot attend prestigious universities in China.

The college entrance exam in China is very difficult. It is probably the most difficult exam for college admissions in the world.
It only shows that screening through entrance exam is NOT part of the methodology when ranking the best universities in the world.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:19 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
It only shows that screening through entrance exam is NOT part of the methodology when ranking the best universities in the world.
Of course. But it does help the schools get very good students (academically).
Do you know which university sends the most PhD students to UC Berkeley? It is Tsinghua University of China.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Of course. But it does help the schools get very good students (academically).
Do you know which university sends the most PhD students to UC Berkeley? It is Tsinghua University of China.
I have not seen any later figures since, but in the 1970's, Scientific American magazine reported that of all the then-current candidates for Ph.D. degrees in the natural sciences in American universities, 93% of them went to high school outside the United States. I have no reason to believe that that figure has changed very much since then.

That suggests to me that there aren't very many places in American graduate schools for American students, who therefore have very limited educational opportunities at that level -- or at the very least, have had very little opportunity at lower levels of education to attain the qualifications for such advanced study.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
By the same token, I'd choose to be of a wealthier, upper-middle class or upper class in a developing country rather than middle class in a developed country.
I think that would make me feel very guilty.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:08 PM

309 posts, read 258,161 times
I'd rather be poor in a developed nation. Two words: safety and corruption. I'd rather not have a car to drive but feel safe while I am walking/riding a bus around the town, than have one and worry all the time that it will be stolen. I'd also rather not have much money but also not worry about having it taken away by criminals or having to spend it on bribing corrupt bureaucrats. Plus, in a developed country I'd have better chances to get out of poverty some day.

I would not want to be poor in the US though.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:37 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
I'd rather be poor in a developed nation. Two words: safety and corruption. I'd rather not have a car to drive but feel safe while I am walking/riding a bus around the town, than have one and worry all the time that it will be stolen. I'd also rather not have much money but also not worry about having it taken away by criminals or having to spend it on bribing corrupt bureaucrats. Plus, in a developed country I'd have better chances to get out of poverty some day.

I would not want to be poor in the US though.
You think Detroit or Chicago is safe?

Old 04-21-2015, 01:52 PM

309 posts, read 258,161 times
Quote:
You think Detroit or Chicago is safe?
Detroit - no, Chicago - depending on the neighborhood. But I would not want to be poor in either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World