Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 03:05 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times

Advertisements

NYC or London because they have many different ethnic restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 03:15 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times
Tex-Mex oh my god it is devine!

Old 04-29-2015, 09:31 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
same can be said about NYC or San Francisco I guess. Traditional American cuisine ... is there even such a thing? BBQ chicken breast?
When I hear someone talking about american cuisine, what comes to my mind are the fast food chains such as McDonald's.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:38 AM

372 posts, read 1,006,884 times
Indonesian Food ( Mie, Bakso, Nasi Goreng, Soto ,Lalapan etc. )
Japan Food ( Sushi, Ramen, Shabu-Shabu )
Italian food ( Pizza )
Korean Food (Bulgogi, Kimchi )
Chinese Food

Old 04-30-2015, 05:22 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
When I hear someone talking about american cuisine, what comes to my mind are the fast food chains such as McDonald's.
With reference to your above quote on American cuisine and your earlier quote on British cuisine; it may be that you just don't know either countries dishes very well? British, German and American cuisines all get a bad 'rap' but it could just be stereotyping, can you list many 'dishes' from the three countries without looking them up online? Have you tried many of the traditional American, German or British dishes? If you have in what way were they terrible?

Old 05-02-2015, 10:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I actually like a lot of British food - I think it gets a bad rap.

A full English breakfast is hard to beat - even the blood pudding tastes yummy to me!

Fish and chips and mushy peas - yum.

Hot, fresh scones and clotted cream and jam with tea - hard to beat.

Yorkshire puddings - filled with any number of goodies - yeah, baby.

I also like lots of German cuisine - latkes with applesauce and a cup of gluvein at the Kristkindlmarkt with snow flurries in the air...divine. Spatzle, the fabulous cakes loaded with fresh cream, the BREAD, the CHEESES - what's not to like?

Americans have traditional AMERICAN foods as well - Tex Mex is a good example. Memphis BBQ, southern/soul food (plenty of ham, peas, cornbread, cobblers, grits, etc), Maryland crabs boiled in Old Bay seasoning with potatoes and corn on the cob, Chicago style pizza (notice I didn't say Italian style pizza), San Francisco's bay shrimp served with crusty sourdough bread, New England's differing clam chowders, the midwest's bison burgers and fabulous pies - the US has some fabulous traditionally American foods.

We have a lot more than fast food here. Just tonight I had crawfish etouffee over fried catfish and rice and that's about as southern as anybody can get. All that was missing was the cornbread but thank goodness, or I wouldn't have been able to get up from the table because I would have gone into some sort of heavenly stupor.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:06 AM

514 posts, read 470,875 times
I've got to say - I've yet to find a traditional breakfast dish quite as fantastic and filling as a full English breakfast.

I don't eat breakfast nowadays so I make myself the meal sometimes in the evening. To heck with arbitrary customs.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
I've got to say - I've yet to find a traditional breakfast dish quite as fantastic and filling as a full English breakfast.

I don't eat breakfast nowadays so I make myself the meal sometimes in the evening. To heck with arbitrary customs.
The Germans put out a fine breakfast spread as well!

And you haven't lived till you've had brunch at the Court of Two Sisters in New Orleans.

Jazz Brunch | Courtyard Dining | The Court of Two Sisters

Old 05-03-2015, 06:01 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,179 times
I enjoy "traditional" British cuisine. Simple Sunday roasts (chicken, lamb, pork or beef) with yorkshire pudding and the sides. Wonderful. Meat pies? Wonderful. The full panopoly of British cakes and tarts and puddings? Wonderful. Bread and cheese? Wonderful.

British cooking badly done is indifferent but well done with fresh produce and proper quality meat and seafood is excellent.

If we're talking about "food cities" then my top five would be:

Hong Kong
Singapore
Tokyo
Rome
Vienna

Honorable mentions:
London
Paris
Bangkok
Dubai
Munich
New York
San Francisco
Charleston
Tel Aviv
Beirut
Istanbul
Florence
Naples

and so goes on....

The truth is that we're splitting hairs. All these cities have excellent restaurants and their culinary strengths. All these cities also have mediocre and/or tourist trap food.

Top Five Favorite cuisines:
Provincial French
Traditional (properly done) British
Thai
Chinese
German/Austrian/Czech

Old 05-03-2015, 03:06 PM

338 posts, read 335,079 times
Tokyo
Hong Kong
Singapore
New York
I can't decide upon a city in France but one must be there

Favorite Cuisines:
Sichuan
Hakka
Thai
Cajun
Japanese
Isan
French, mainly expensive stuff tbh
Northern Italian
Regional Mexican
Anything Iberian
Indian, all regions possible
Any street food sold in Asia or any country where people still do that
I tried Ethiopian once, it was awesome
Persian
Greek
Lebanese
Central American
Peruvian
Irish breakfasts
Steak
ummmm more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World