Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these languages is the LEAST useful?
Chinese 3 2.31%
Arabic 6 4.62%
Hindi 8 6.15%
English 5 3.85%
Spanish 3 2.31%
Bengali 84 64.62%
Portuguese 7 5.38%
Russian 4 3.08%
Japanese 6 4.62%
German 4 3.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 09:38 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Germans are amongst the best English speakers, and it's not like they don't use Deutsche, at all.

I did a year in Kassel though and yes, courses were in English. And I was doing Cultural Studies, but my SciEng colleagues also had class in English.
Usually, the majority of classes are in German with some English language-courses for exchange students or some held by visiting professors.

Anyway, German followed by English is on top of my list. I guess Bengali won't be that important in my future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 11:42 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
same question.
Japanese is pretty much useless.
Portuguese? Since when it is a useful language in any area.
In Brazil. You know, one of the largest countries on earth

Old 05-01-2015, 01:33 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,099,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
According to Encarta, it has only 78,000,000 native speakers.
Encarta must be listing French as a second or third language in a number of African countries. From a business perspective, knowing French will give you access to a community of well over a 100 million.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:38 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Because most German native speakers can speak some English and German is not spoken in a very large geographic area
And like French, numbers for some reason are dwindling. I posted an article awhile back, don't feel like looking for it, but I think, like Spanish, both German and French are losing popularity as a 2nd language to study due to business, economics, etc on an International level. There's been a huge surge in Arabic languages and Cantonese/Mandarin. And Russian should be rated higher. It seems most don't realize that there are several former Soviet states that either have Russian as their primary language or it's 2nd language. There are over 300 million speakers of Russian, whereas only 100 Million German.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:01 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
And like French, numbers for some reason are dwindling. I posted an article awhile back, don't feel like looking for it, but I think, like Spanish, both German and French are losing popularity as a 2nd language to study due to business, economics, etc on an International level. There's been a huge surge in Arabic languages and Cantonese/Mandarin. And Russian should be rated higher. It seems most don't realize that there are several former Soviet states that either have Russian as their primary language or it's 2nd language. There are over 300 million speakers of Russian, whereas only 100 Million German.
Like I said, it's a Western bias. A lot of Americans probably think that whole region stopped existing after the wall went down. lol

Old 05-01-2015, 04:09 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,452,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Encarta must be listing French as a second or third language in a number of African countries. From a business perspective, knowing French will give you access to a community of well over a 100 million.
Read the title again. The thread is only about languages with over 100 million native speakers.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:18 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Quote:
German does to tend be growing in partially German areas though. German is slowly growing in Switzerland, mostly at the expense of French. In Africa Namibia is pushing German and English at the expense of Afrikaans and native languages.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:30 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
And like French, numbers for some reason are dwindling. I posted an article awhile back, don't feel like looking for it, but I think, like Spanish, both German and French are losing popularity as a 2nd language to study due to business, economics, etc on an International level.
German's native speaker groups are growing very slowly or stagnant (maybe declining in some cases) because its three main countries (D, CH and A) all have fairly low birth rates. And unlike Spanish and French, German doesn't have former colonies in the developing world with high birth rates and where its language is still official (and most importantly, used in the schools).

France's population is also growing more than Germany's.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:51 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,511,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahhammer View Post
English, Spanish, and Mandarin are all one needs to survive, the rest are for pleasure.
Unless you live in a Spanish speaking community or have Spanish speaking family its not needed. The future is Engish and Mandarin/Asian languages.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:46 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Unless you live in a Spanish speaking community or have Spanish speaking family its not needed. The future is Engish and Mandarin/Asian languages.
Only Mandarin is, and that's debatable. Korean and Japanese will always be hobbyist languages like Swedish, who fill very niche roles. Chinese has the problem of having to read and write 2000 characters. Bilingual Chinese will hold the advantage in this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World