Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 02:23 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times

Advertisements

So far it has been Thailand. So exotic that the political unrest/turmoil there was a big part of my stay there. I did like Thailand though, the culture and food especially. The people seem very easily convinced of things though, from my observations.

Lots of places I still want to see, will report on them if I see another place widely exotic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 06:55 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The exoticness of a country is correlated to how many international visitors they get. The lower the number, the more exotic. So, as we can see, poorer countries (with few exceptions) are usually more "exotic" than richer ones.
I really hate the word exotic makes me shudder.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:01 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
The most exotic country I've been to is India, and I'd say that it will probably remain the most exotic that I have plans to visit in the future. I am returning this fall and I would like to visit either Ladakh, up in the controversial state of Jammu and Kashmir, and I would also like to see some of the Northeastern states like Assam or Nagaland. These aren't often reached by foreigners and all three don't have any rail connections.

Way down the road I'd like to visit Myanmar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
To me exotic is like a fruit or a food item. How can a Country be exotic?
ex·ot·ic
iɡˈzädik/
adjective
originating in or characteristic of a distant foreign country.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:05 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The exoticness of a country is correlated to how many international visitors they get. The lower the number, the more exotic. So, as we can see, poorer countries (with few exceptions) are usually more "exotic" than richer ones.
Disagreed. Turkey gets some of the highest arrivals of foreign visitors on Earth, as does China. How would neither of those count as exotic to a great deal of people? It's all relative.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
As I said in the OP, define "exotic" any way you like, since everyone has their own criteria of what kinds of places they would consider to be "exotic".

For example, I consider Reunion and St. Pierre/Miquelon to be among the "exotic" places I've visited, even though on the ground they are indistinguishable from France. But they are hard to get to, and not many travelers go there, and they have a very un-France-like climate and geography and history.

I also consider China to be exotic, but for an opposite reason, it is easily reached and commonly traveled, but a traveler from the west encounters a great deal of experiences that are culturally different from what he is used to, and has to learn to adapt and be mindful of making behavioral adjustments..

To a Westerner, anyplace outside the Christian-coated ethical arena would be exotic for that reason alone, such as Dubai or Singapore or Seoul.

The least visited county in the lower 48, Daniels County Montana, would qualify as "exotic", in a certain manner of speaking. As would New York City, to a person from Daniels County.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-02-2015 at 10:24 AM..

Old 05-02-2015, 11:09 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I think I'll visit Bali one of these days.

Is that exotic enough for ya?

Old 05-02-2015, 11:33 AM

37 posts, read 53,653 times
For me it is Fiji. I always wanted to go there for some strange reason.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:14 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
For me exotic Countries = INTERESTING COUNTRIES!

Old 05-03-2015, 05:19 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times
Already did. An atoll in Pacific where just 4 people live. I visited twice aboard my sailboat.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:48 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Yemen and Mongolia so far. I didn't really get to see much of either country though. I'd go back to Mongolia in a heartbeat. Not so much Yemen at the moment but it is supposedly a breathtakingly beautiful country in some areas.

My next exotic destinations may be Cambodia, Laos, or Myanmar. Maybe Uzbekistan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World