Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How larger should the US be?
No larger than it is today, 50 states and territories 52 59.09%
US and Canada 7 7.95%
US and Mexico 3 3.41%
US, Canada and Mexico 2 2.27%
The whole North America (including Central America and the Caribbean) 4 4.55%
North America and South America 2 2.27%
US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand 1 1.14%
The developed world (North America, Europe, Japan, Australia) 2 2.27%
The western world (The Americas, Europe, Australia, New Zealand) 1 1.14%
The whole world (North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, Antarctica) 14 15.91%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 09:04 AM

13 posts, read 10,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
None of this makes any sense.

Now I know this is all hypothetical but I am curious to see what the Canadians on here think of that.

The only thing in the Caribbean that's anything like the US is Puerto Rico because it's part of the US.

There is no desire in the US to expand anymore. American people nor politicians have any interest in that. If anything, many feel that the US is probably too big to function as one as it is and this is seen more and more as regionalism seems to be on the increase.

Empire do decrease or retrench, Canada, what for?
Probably Central America and the Caribbean just by reverse osmosis, the same way that the Hellenistic Empire became Rome....population shifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 01:51 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,017,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I'd love to see the US to annex Canada at the very least. Other Anglo countries like the UK, Australia and NZ would be a bonus...How I long in every fiber of my being to become American...
A bonus for whom exactly!?

Old 05-05-2015, 06:43 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The US just shouldn't be an imperial power again, it was never in their DNA, they're a democracy built on anti-colonial sentiment, direct subjugation of other peoples seems like a contradiction to their historical and cultural experiences, despite the less direct power they wield abroad. It's be expensive, violent, and not worth for them, even in Canada were they to try and annex us. What would be required is a level of brutality they simply cannot sustain for long as a culture, or possibly a cooperative union, and I doubt Americans would enjoy the rest of the world exerting their democratic will at the expense of internal American interests.
Precisely!

Old 05-05-2015, 07:06 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I personally would be more in favour of easing the the flow of goods and people including for work purposes but any type of forced style colonial expansion on the part of the U.S over Canada wouldn't be met with open arms at all. Not just by Canadians but by the International community.. It would be a disaster for the U.S to engage it such colonialism.
Review of trade blocs.

Of particular interest are: 1. preferential trade 2. free trade

Because these are the least constraining on a country's sovereignty.

It was proposed that Britain join NAFTA. I can easily imagine an alternative grouping including the British Isles, Canada, U.S.A., Australia and New Zealand.

BTW, I've notice people online commenting that the European Union is beginning to resemble the Holy Roman Empire.

As for the flow of people, perhaps special visas could be issued for work purposes.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:50 PM

11,651 posts, read 12,945,840 times
Why no option below "No larger than it is today, 50 states and territories"? Methinks the USA should be smaller and something more like this:

I can't fathom the idea of America having a scorching hot desert and dry Mediterranean region (SoCal). They should've left that part to Mexico. Also, since Canada is very northernmost (and thus cooler), why not give some of the warmer regions to them? Oh and Alaska should be given to Canadians (or even Russians).

Yes, my modification is more climatic in nature than political.
Attached Thumbnails
How larger should the US should be?-map-united-states-2.gif  

Old 05-06-2015, 03:12 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,053 times
You should have given an option for: "The USA should fall back under British dominion".

Old 05-06-2015, 06:36 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Why no option below "No larger than it is today, 50 states and territories"? Methinks the USA should be smaller and something more like this:

I can't fathom the idea of America having a scorching hot desert and dry Mediterranean region (SoCal). They should've left that part to Mexico. Also, since Canada is very northernmost (and thus cooler), why not give some of the warmer regions to them? Oh and Alaska should be given to Canadians (or even Russians).

Yes, my modification is more climatic in nature than political.
Australia should just give up and become the 51 state. You know you want to

Old 05-06-2015, 06:52 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,054 times
Why does this come up time and again ?

No Canadian that I know would willingly become an American subject ( note the difference between being a subject and being a Citizen ). As a sovereign nation, why don't WE get a choice ? Because many Americans have the attitude that they are so superior, that the whole world wants to be THEM. News flash we don't.

Just for fun....how about we merge the USA and Canada.........But the new country has Canadian laws and election standards, and the strict gun controls that we have now..............What's that ? Americans wouldn't go for that ? NOW you understand why WE wouldn't go for it, either. Why would we lower our standard of living, education system, and safety, to be "Americans " ? We wouldn't.

The USA is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Jim b.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:07 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Why does this come up time and again ?

No Canadian that I know would willingly become an American subject ( note the difference between being a subject and being a Citizen ). As a sovereign nation, why don't WE get a choice ? Because many Americans have the attitude that they are so superior, that the whole world wants to be THEM. News flash we don't.

Just for fun....how about we merge the USA and Canada.........But the new country has Canadian laws and election standards, and the strict gun controls that we have now..............What's that ? Americans wouldn't go for that ? NOW you understand why WE wouldn't go for it, either. Why would we lower our standard of living, education system, and safety, to be "Americans " ? We wouldn't.

The USA is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Jim b.
a bit dramatic and overly nationalistic, isn't it?
The US is a massive country, and are you sure nowhere in the country offers your the same standard of living you enjoy in Canada overall? Or as a Canadian, it is an obligation to deny the US is livable?

Talk based on reason, but pride. The latter is often stupid.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:08 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World