Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 03:37 AM

514 posts, read 470,875 times

Advertisements

It is an odd comparison. Two cities so completely different qualitatively and quantitatively as to almost seem like a category error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 04:21 AM

788 posts, read 1,877,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
Cool. Thanks for that. I've never been to Canada so that's a nice comparison I can picture. Too bad London is so expensive though, right? Because for the money you'll be living on top of a skyscraper in Toronto you'd be living in a one room shoebox in London.
London is exceptionally expensive. Canada is a bit more expensive than the states, but also has a slightly higher standard of living. It's also generally safer and better maintained (well....most places).

Old 05-10-2015, 04:21 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Vancouver, I have already lived in London, and would like to try something different.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:31 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
I mean low class as in not any Michelin-star restaurants and lavish luxury to engage in. At least from what it seems, Vancouver beats Toronto in this regard. Or maybe I am wrong?
Since Michelin only rates restaurants in countries they provide guides for, that makes a lot of sense. You're not going to find any in Vancouver, either. That doesn't mean there aren't any worth being on the list.

Quote:
Just looking at luxury apartments, Vancouver has more high end condos than Toronto. And it's like 1/5th of its size.
Probably due to the view? Either way, in 2014, both Toronto and Vancouver were in some pretty good company.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:40 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,625 times
No offense but Vancouver's surroundings to me seem pristine almost immaculate!

However I must admit that the city itself doesn't attract me

bunch of skyscrapers on a water front and then just massive suburbias, I really find that the suburban way of life KILLS north American cities.

I really HATE having to drive everywhere and seeing no one on the streets other than cars.

I need REAL CITIES.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post

bunch of skyscrapers on a water front and then just massive suburbias, I really find that the suburban way of life KILLS north American cities.

I really HATE having to drive everywhere and seeing no one on the streets other than cars.

I need REAL CITIES.

They really are.

That's okay. It isn't for everyone. No place is, really.

That's an awful lot of cities you just knocked off your list though.

You really don't have to drive much of anywhere in Vancouver. Not only is Vancouver only behind New York, San Francisco, and Boston for walkability in North America, Translink also provides an extensive bus system, Sky Train, Sea Bus, Aqua Bus, Water taxis, and commuter train.

Vancouver is consistently ranked as one of the top places in the world to live, and for good reason.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:43 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
They really are.

That's okay. It isn't for everyone. No place is, really.

That's an awful lot of cities you just knocked off your list though.

You really don't have to drive much of anywhere in Vancouver. Not only is Vancouver only behind New York, San Francisco, and Boston for walkability in North America, Translink also provides an extensive bus system, Sky Train, Sea Bus, Aqua Bus, Water taxis, and commuter train.

Vancouver is consistently ranked as one of the top places in the world to live, and for good reason.
I can imagine.... pretty, clean, organized, safe (though I heard about growing number of Asian gangs and growing levels of racism due to the massive invasion of Chinese)

I think if you live spacious living, green areas, beautiful coastlines and so on, it must be heaven on earth.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:50 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Vancouver seems like a beautiful city and would love to live there but I won't feel comfortable there maybe if I moved with my whole family but not on my own.

Its a tie wouldn't mind moving..

Old 05-10-2015, 06:17 AM

788 posts, read 1,877,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post

I need REAL CITIES.
Not all sprawling cities are terrible. Australia has a few cities with decent transit and well-planned low density communities. What's worse is the high density cities with lousy transit infrastructure. Places like Toronto and Los Angeles, for instance. Although, LA is definitely making heavy investments in rail projects. I can't think of another Western city with as many transit projects in the development pipeline.

I'm with you though. After living in Hong Kong, NYC, and Shanghai, I just can't deal with parking and driving. Of course at this stage of my life it isn't much of an issue.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhkshdcny09 View Post
Not all sprawling cities are terrible. Australia has a few cities with decent transit and well-planned low density communities. What's worse is the high density cities with lousy transit infrastructure. Places like Toronto and Los Angeles, for instance. Although, LA is definitely making heavy investments in rail projects. I can't think of another Western city with as many transit projects in the development pipeline.

I'm with you though. After living in Hong Kong, NYC, and Shanghai, I just can't deal with parking and driving. Of course at this stage of my life it isn't much of an issue.

Maybe Toronto? lol

As of April 23rd, $49.8 billion will be invested into the GTA over the next 10 years for public transit, highways and bridges. While I'm not really up to date, I assume this is part of "The Big Move", which is a 25 year infrastructure project ratified in 2008.

In 2013, Los Angeles county approved a $40 billion, 20 year infrastructure plan.

Seems pretty even.

Either way, both cities are in terrible need for such investment, and can only shine even brighter as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World