Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 01:48 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,335,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
It's a continual fluid process for me I go back and forth stripping away and adding sometimes I realize that I miss some of the Portuguese ways of doing things. The biggest difference that I notice is Americans live very independently the Portugues center their lives around those they care about.
This varies depending on where you are too. The southern states are quite different and are much more family oriented. This is also true with some minority groups regardless where we are...most of the time.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:36 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,833,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This varies depending on where you are too. The southern states are quite different and are much more family oriented. This is also true with some minority groups regardless where we are...most of the time.
is there a big difference between west coast blacks versus southern blacks?

Old 05-14-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
is there a big difference between west coast blacks versus southern blacks?
A little but not as much as with whites from those same regions. Many west coast blacks have family and/or some sort of connection to the south. This weakens with how long their families have been out west. Nonetheless most Blacks tend to remain rather family oriented.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:53 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,481,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
A little but not as much as with whites from those same regions. Many west coast blacks have family and/or some sort of connection to the south. This weakens with how long their families have been out west. Nonetheless most Blacks tend to remain rather family oriented.
This is true (from my experience). I actually have a lot of black friends with Georgia roots (not them, nor their parents, but their grandparents usually). My uncle's ex girlfriend grew up here, but her family is originally from Louisiana.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when we had lots of white folks coming from the Midwest for jobs (back in the day), we had a parallel influx of black folks coming from the south for jobs as well. Especially manufacturing, post WWII. So just like the older white folk in the LA area may have Midwestern roots, the black folk tend to have southern roots. Of course, this tends to be more in the older suburbs.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
This is true (from my experience). I actually have a lot of black friends with Georgia roots (not them, nor their parents, but their grandparents usually). My uncle's ex girlfriend grew up here, but her family is originally from Louisiana.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when we had lots of white folks coming from the Midwest for jobs (back in the day), we had a parallel influx of black folks coming from the south for jobs as well. Especially manufacturing, post WWII. So just like the older white folk in the LA area may have Midwestern roots, the black folk tend to have southern roots. Of course, this tends to be more in the older suburbs.
This is largely correct. In my case, less so as I am a fourth generation Californian but we are originally from Louisiana. This is on my moms side which I am closer to. On my dads side, I am only a second gen Californian and they are from Oklahoma. I have no connection to OK but my dad and uncles sort of do. They talk like people from there too where as I have a neutral, non typical for a black, California accent.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:11 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,895,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillinout123 View Post
Get a life your annoying.

Par for the course posting from Irene if you follow her posting history. As I read thru her post I knew the American was going to be "oh this country is awful blah blah blah". Laughable. It's always Americans this and Americans that. Whole story sounds bs to me, and of course in her version the American, out of everyone else, fits the exact stereotype Europeans have of us. I don't buy it.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,881,583 times
Sorry but the Colombian women I know are not like that.

I don't think it's Colombian culture for women to get nude with a bunch of dudes.. sorry that's just you.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:08 PM

9,001 posts, read 10,158,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Par for the course posting from Irene if you follow her posting history. As I read thru her post I knew the American was going to be "oh this country is awful blah blah blah". Laughable. It's always Americans this and Americans that. Whole story sounds bs to me, and of course in her version the American, out of everyone else, fits the exact stereotype Europeans have of us. I don't buy it.
Dude you rock-- honestly the OP is extremely anti American....
I accidentally came across a few of the OP's posts a few months ago--
Nothing but babbling on & on endlessly bashing Americans.

I highly doubt the story is even real

Old 05-14-2015, 04:09 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,833,814 times
i just picked NYC as my favorite city in the world, but i am really anti american (roll eyes)

Old 05-14-2015, 05:20 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,084,274 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World