Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 11:20 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not perfect, but I don't act or think like someone in junior high.

Don't you love how in this "story" Irene is gorgeous and has all the men fawning over her, while the American women is bitter and jealous. This story is laughable. I swear it sounds made up by a 15 year old girl.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:30 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
why do I have haters and why am I being called a man?

lol omg

vos lo sabe. Lol

Old 05-15-2015, 11:49 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL see above. I posted an adolescent's fantasy though in keeping with the tone of the thread.

I was loling at you teen fantasy, really well crafted and funny. Kudos

Old 05-15-2015, 01:27 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Anybody interested in getting a city-data camp together in Namibia this Summer?

I think we could top Irene's tales haha...

Old 05-15-2015, 04:30 PM
F18

542 posts, read 529,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
Oh other points of view are fine. However, one only needs refer to your own criteria for calling people out as "ignorant". Note:

There's a difference between valid criticism (and trust me there's a lot to criticise about London despite everyone extolling how great it is), and railing on somewhere that you've not bothered to visit, or at least taken the time to evaluate with any meaningful consideration.
I answered like that to Him/her because that person actually said something ignorant and I didn't saw Irene say anything bad about London in this thread.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:22 PM

225 posts, read 216,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
I answered like that to Him/her because that person actually said something ignorant and I didn't saw Irene say anything bad about London in this thread.
Check her posting history.

She has a long and colorful history of saying things that are - how do you say - a little out of touch with reality.

On London, I agree with her that the food sucks (or at least used to suck). She's entitled to her opinion but overall I think it takes an uncultured philistine to not be impressed with the city. But hey there's my opinion just like you're entitled to yours. :P

Old 05-15-2015, 09:38 PM

159 posts, read 177,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Maginot Line View Post

She has a long and colorful history of saying things that are - how do you say - a little out of touch with reality.

On London, I agree with her that the food sucks (or at least used to suck). She's entitled to her opinion but overall I think it takes an uncultured philistine to not be impressed with the city. But hey there's my opinion just like you're entitled to yours. :P
Or young kids who don't get out much.

Gotta agree on one point that Londoners have to remain open to criticism about their city ... (and aside from the boosters they generally are more likely to come face to face with its flaws) or it risks going the way of another certain city now well past its prime like a starlet turned dowdy old dowager who point black refuses to accept any notion other than that she's the best

Old 05-16-2015, 02:14 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Maginot Line View Post

Well I've been to several cities around the world, some have wow'ed me (and development, nor diversity, nor self-proclaimed greatness) has anything to do with how much I've been impressed by these places.

I've been to several cities of the magnitude of London (Bangkok, NYC, Mexico City, Paris) and to be honest London is the one that impressed me the least

in Paris I was impressed but not to the magnitude of Mexico city with its underrated local color, its amazing food, its amazing nightlife that does not stop. Or Bangkok with its floating markets, food, color, fast pace.

So then you go to London and you're constantly bombarded with articles everywhere on the mass media about how just GREAT, IMPRESSIVE, FANTASTIC, THE BEST, NUMBER ONE, THE NICEST, THE CULINARY CAPITAL OF THE PLANET, THE MOST DIVERSE CENTER ON THE UNIVERSE, THE BRAIN OF THE PLANET, THE IT OF HUMANITY and so on.. and to be honest it really just doesn't meet any expectations.

ok so it's diverse, so it's just about any other large city on this planet on the 21st century.....

so it's big and massive, there are cities far bigger and more massive!

the nightlife compared to places like mexico city or bangkok its nothing to write home about, yeah some generic nightclubs western style people drinking, and pubs full of drunk people everywhere.... I've seen far more impressive nightlife before in other cities.

Architecture, yeah some highlights but I was far more impressed by paris architecturally.

the food, honestly meh!! (I don't know where all those articles about london being the gastronomical capital of the world came from "maybe the BBC" ) but I simply don't buy it!!!

I mean it's a nice city, great museums and free which is nice, stuff to see and do.... but it is not THAT FANTASTIC, for london to reach THAT level, it needs to have less laws, less rules, less CCTV cameras recording your every move, less overrated tourist sites, more street food, more local color and less Hollywood style flash with hordes and hordes of tourists taking selfies. Some of the most impressive cities I've seen are the ones that are not overrun with gazillion of tourists following the tourist trail, taking pictures of everything as if they were on a safari, while self-important locals pass by pretending to be Madonna in her early NYC days!

I am simply stating my opinion.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:17 AM

225 posts, read 216,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Well I've been to several cities around the world, some have wow'ed me (and development, nor diversity, nor self-proclaimed greatness) has anything to do with how much I've been impressed by these places.

I've been to several cities of the magnitude of London (Bangkok, NYC, Mexico City, Paris) and to be honest London is the one that impressed me the least

in Paris I was impressed but not to the magnitude of Mexico city with its underrated local color, its amazing food, its amazing nightlife that does not stop. Or Bangkok with its floating markets, food, color, fast pace, and NYC was also very wow'ed for me, seeing manhattan for the first time is something.

So then you go to London and you're constantly bombarded with articles everywhere on the mass media about how just GREAT, IMPRESSIVE, FANTASTIC, THE BEST, NUMBER ONE, THE NICEST, THE CULINARY CAPITAL OF THE PLANET, THE MOST DIVERSE CENTER ON THE UNIVERSE, THE BRAIN OF THE PLANET, THE IT OF HUMANITY and so on.. and to be honest it really just doesn't meet any expectations.

ok so it's diverse, so it's just about any other large city on this planet on the 21st century.....

so it's big and massive, there are cities far bigger and more massive!

the nightlife compared to places like mexico city or bangkok its nothing to write home about, yeah some generic nightclubs western style people drinking, and pubs full of drunk people everywhere.... I've seen far more impressive nightlife before in other cities.

Architecture, yeah some highlights but I was far more impressed by paris architecturally.

the food, honestly meh!! (I don't know where all those articles about london being the gastronomical capital of the world came from "maybe the BBC" ) but I simply don't buy it!!!

I mean it's a nice city, great museums and free which is nice, stuff to see and do.... but it is not THAT FANTASTIC, for london to reach THAT level, it needs to have less laws, less rules, less CCTV cameras recording your every move, less overrated tourist sites, more street food, more local color and less Hollywood style flash.

I am simply stating my opinion.
So basically you don't like glitzy or flashy cities that have, you know, oppressive things such as rule of law.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:22 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,625 times
I was far more impressed by Belfast with its hard history, and its wall dividing catholics and protestants and it's colorful taxi driver with an accent I could barely understand in a very exciting manner giving me a tour of the city plus it's LOCAL COLOR, ITS FRIENDLY LOCALS INTERACTING WITH YOU BECAUSE YOU'RE A TOURIST AND THEY SELDOM SEE ONE!

london to me was just another, overruled, big, generic, cliche multicultural, western city, along the lines of berlin, brussels, paris, amsterdam, NYC, toronto, sydney, LA etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. After a while you see one and you've seen them ALL!!!

I probably should have gone to Liverpool or Manchester instead, I Think I'd be far more impressed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World