Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 07:34 PM

290 posts, read 259,504 times

Advertisements

There are many reasons for the rise of the Asian giant, especially China. Here I would like to raise one reason that is often ignored: IT and internet infrastructure.

The Anglo Sphere [UK, US, Australia, Canada, New Zealand] is way, way behind Asia in internet technology. Only NZ has done anything decent. Then comes Canada. Then the UK, US [ in spite of Google Fibre], and Australia are light years behind. I would rate Australia as being the worst.

Meanwhile Singapore, China, Japan and Asia forge ahead. In a digital age if you control the information you control the world. My thesis is that this disparity of internet quality will be the final killing blow over the next 10 to 20 years for the Anglo Sphere. For the first time in over a century the Anglo Sphere countries won't be calling the shots; roles will be reversed and the Asian block will be in charge.

That's my thesis. Love. Hate it. That's fine. This is succinct. I could go to Ars Technica and give concrete examples, statistics etc to back up my assertions. I cannot see the Anglo Sphere surviving the digital revolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 07:50 PM

349 posts, read 489,460 times
I find it strange the US and UK are behind, I thought they'd be on par with though advanced Asian countries. Australia is pretty poor considering we're a developed country, but we're not that terrible. I seldom have issues, and it's not like having slightly less lightly speed has anything to do with the fall of Western civilisation. Remember English is still the dominant language of the internet, and the English-speaking world controls most of the information.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:51 PM

520 posts, read 533,006 times
You are completely wrong. I mean look who dominates the tech world today. Apple, Google, Amazon, Netflix, Facebook, new startups like Uber. I mean we literally own and control the new economy top to bottom worldwide. Everybody from LA to Indonesia wants an iPhone, or an Android phone, they want to go to Starbucks, then want to use uber to get a cab. China will never have the creativity or just the mainstream media cool of America. Weve moved on past hardware tech to applications of that hardware and america will dominate for another 100 years based off our advantages in these areas.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:55 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,128,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent hypnotist View Post
There are many reasons for the rise of the Asian giant, especially China. Here I would like to raise one reason that is often ignored: IT and internet infrastructure.

The Anglo Sphere [UK, US, Australia, Canada, New Zealand] is way, way behind Asia in internet technology. Only NZ has done anything decent. Then comes Canada. Then the UK, US [ in spite of Google Fibre], and Australia are light years behind. I would rate Australia as being the worst.

Meanwhile Singapore, China, Japan and Asia forge ahead. In a digital age if you control the information you control the world. My thesis is that this disparity of internet quality will be the final killing blow over the next 10 to 20 years for the Anglo Sphere. For the first time in over a century the Anglo Sphere countries won't be calling the shots; roles will be reversed and the Asian block will be in charge.

That's my thesis. Love. Hate it. That's fine. This is succinct. I could go to Ars Technica and give concrete examples, statistics etc to back up my assertions. I cannot see the Anglo Sphere surviving the digital revolution.
Thank this current government for that. FTTN. lol.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:56 PM

And by the way I find it so amusing that people have this mistaken view today where America is probably the most dominant its ever been tech wise in history. I mean do you realize the market cap of Apple alone is 732 BILLION DOLLARS. I mean thats just one company!

Old 06-14-2015, 08:01 PM

^ yet without China none of these apple products would be manufactured and Apple couldn't be so profitable either lol.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
^ yet without China none of these apple products would be manufactured and Apple couldn't be so profitable either lol.
Manufacturing means NOTHING anymore. For a couple reasons, one robotics. Whatever minimal human interaction is needed for manufacturing will be gone with 5-10 years based on moores law. No innovation in the market now is coming from manufacturing. What is it coming from? Look around, all the new hot companies are applications of pervasive IP networks. Like I said uber, netflix, apps, etc. Secondly on manufacturing, people dont buy 1000 consumer electronics anymore, thanks to convergence we are reaching a leveling point of few devices. Like a big smartphone or a phablet etc. We dont buy a dvd player, and a game console, and a desktop computer, etc etc etc as separate purchases anymore. Now why you think a manufacturing country will succeed in this next century is absurb based on these things.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
Manufacturing means NOTHING anymore. For a couple reasons, one robotics. Whatever minimal human interaction is needed for manufacturing will be gone with 5-10 years based on moores law. No innovation in the market now is coming from manufacturing. What is it coming from? Look around, all the new hot companies are applications of pervasive IP networks. Like I said uber, netflix, apps, etc. Secondly on manufacturing, people dont buy 1000 consumer electronics anymore, thanks to convergence we are reaching a leveling point of few devices. Like a big smartphone or a phablet etc. We dont buy a dvd player, and a game console, and a desktop computer, etc etc etc as separate purchases anymore. Now why you think a manufacturing country will succeed in this next century is absurb based on these things.
Have you looked at the products you own? 90% are likely made in China. Of course manufacturing will continue to be important until we all become spirits or something. And robotics are still a lot longer away than you think, largely because humans are still cheaper. Exploiting people for cheap labour is still more profitable for the likes of Apple and Samsung, and not everything can be done by robots. What consumer electronics are even manufactured in the US, UK, Germany or even Japan anymore? Hardly any. Our over-dependence on China is a bit worrying actually.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:13 PM

Success in this century is very simple. It is how do we use the fact that we all have wireless high speed IP networks everywhere around us to make our lives better. And the question becomes who do you think as a society can best see those visions and develop the uses. And Asia will never be that creative, you can mark my words on that. Creativity and our English language and mass media will always give us an advantage. Manufacturing can move anywhere. I mean if the cost of labor goes up in China with rising wealth levels itll move to Africa. But China had better come up with a strategy to what I said above if they want to remain competitive in tech.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
Success in this century is very simple. It is how do we use the fact that we all have wireless high speed IP networks everywhere around us to make our lives better. And the question becomes who do you think as a society can best see those visions and develop the uses. And Asia will never be that creative, you can mark my words on that. Creativity and our English language and mass media will always give us an advantage. Manufacturing can move anywhere. I mean if the cost of labor goes up in China with rising wealth levels itll move to Africa. But China had better come up with a strategy to what I said above if they want to remain competitive in tech.
Don't forget that Western civilisation alone didn't invent the modern world, far from it. The world has been globalised for a long time. From the spread of agriculture/crops/domesticated animals, and of course inventions, the West has taken advantage of the countless advances of the Middle East, India, China and indeed the Americas. Without their gazillion inventions Europe would be nothing like it became.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World