Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What world city is most like Los Angeles, California?
London 2 1.96%
Hong Kong 0 0%
Paris 0 0%
Singapore 0 0%
Tokyo 2 1.96%
Sydney 33 32.35%
Dubai 3 2.94%
Bombay 3 2.94%
Milan 0 0%
Moscow 0 0%
Sao Paulo 1 0.98%
Frankfurt 0 0%
Toronto 2 1.96%
Madrid 2 1.96%
Mexico City 23 22.55%
Amsterdam 0 0%
Kuala Lumpur 2 1.96%
Brussels 0 0%
Seoul 1 0.98%
Johannesburg 2 1.96%
Buenos Aires 4 3.92%
Vienna 1 0.98%
Prague 1 0.98%
Budapest 0 0%
Bangkok 2 1.96%
Other 18 17.65%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 10:23 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlinx View Post
Not really, when it comes to age....
What do you mean exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yeah, LA has mountains and a more scenic coast line. I agree they are very different but I do feel there are some similarities between certain residential areas in LA and Miami. One story bungalows, spanish tiles, Palm trees, Spanish signs in business fronts. etc etc.
Well, if we're looking at it just on that surface then we might as well include Madrid as there are also Spanish signs everywhere. The cultures that Spanish comes from in both cities could not be more different. Mexicans and Cubans speak the same language but the similarity stops there. They don't even speak that common language the same way. I've known Mexicans and Cubans who have at times switched to English because it was easier for them to communicate.

I live in Southern California. I've been to the Miami area and NOTHING about it reminded me of LA

Old 02-28-2018, 07:19 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Well, if we're looking at it just on that surface then we might as well include Madrid as there are also Spanish signs everywhere.
Madrid doesn't look anything like LA or Miami at all. There is nothing on the surface that Madrid shares with these cities.

Quote:
The cultures that Spanish comes from in both cities could not be more different. Mexicans and Cubans speak the same language but the similarity stops there. They don't even speak that common language the same way. I've known Mexicans and Cubans who have at times switched to English because it was easier for them to communicate.

I live in Southern California. I've been to the Miami area and NOTHING about it reminded me of L
Yes the Cuban and Mexican cultures are very different and speak Spanish with a different accent, but you are exaggerating. Most Cubans and Mexicans can understand each other just fine. My native language is Spanish, I speak with an accent similar to Southern Mexicans and I have never met a Cuban I couldn't understand. Besides you are just as likely to hear Colombian accents in Miami these days or Nicaraguan, Honduran, Venezuelan etc. The accents are different and a couple of words are different but these people all understand each other. Sure they are very different cities, but there are certain areas of Miami and LA that are similar. I have lived right in LA and have family in west Miami. Imho LA is the nicer of the two.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Madrid doesn't look anything like LA or Miami at all. There is nothing on the surface that Madrid shares with these cities.

Yes the Cuban and Mexican cultures are very different and speak Spanish with a different accent, but you are exaggerating. Most Cubans and Mexicans can understand each other just fine. My native language is Spanish, I speak with an accent similar to Southern Mexicans and I have never met a Cuban I couldn't understand. Besides you are just as likely to hear Colombian accents in Miami these days or Nicaraguan, Honduran, Venezuelan etc. The accents are different and a couple of words are different but these people all understand each other. Sure they are very different cities, but there are certain areas of Miami and LA that are similar. I have lived right in LA and have family in west Miami. Imho LA is the nicer of the two.
My point was that Miami is nothing like LA. Guess you missed that.

As far as Spanish goes, I'm only going by what I am told by the Spanish speakers out here so if that's an exaggeration, it was on their part.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
My point was that Miami is nothing like LA. Guess you missed that.
To say they area nothing a like is also not accurate.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
To say they area nothing a like is also not accurate.
My opinion does not have to be accurate to you. From what I saw of Miami and my seeing of Los Angeles, they are nothing alike.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
My opinion does not have to be accurate to you. From what I saw of Miami and my seeing of Los Angeles, they are nothing alike.
Well, you were clearly wrong about Cuban and Mexican Spanish.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Well, you were clearly wrong about Cuban and Mexican Spanish.
I'll say it one more time; I was repeating what I have been told by the Spanish speakers that I know. No matter how many times and different ways you repeat yourself, that reality will not change.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:57 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Depends on what you measure it by. Miami and LA are probably the most similar to each other in the US. Both have similar kinds of people living there (loads of immigrants/flashy types of rich & famous people). Both have palm tree lined streets. Both on the ocean. Both have long summers and mild winters. Both have bad traffic with crazy drivers. Both are major transportation hubs. The rainfall, cultures and physical landscapes are different.

Internationally, Mexico City reminds me the most of LA, not that they are very alike but more so than other places I've been.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:39 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
My point was that Miami is nothing like LA.
Two American cities with extremely large Spanish-speaking populations, both spread out, with beach cultures, and tons of tourists...

Nope, nothing a like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World