Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 06:48 AM

349 posts, read 488,844 times

Advertisements

I guess this question is pretty general, but I notice a lot of people look down on people who only speak one language (especially Europeans towards Americans, but also Australians, Brits), or who aren't well travelled, not 'worldly', or what they call ignorant. Sometimes it's to feel superior. I've travelled a bit - wouldn't say I'm widely travelled, I guess I am compared to most, but it's mostly interest and moreover money that allows me this luxury. It has broadened my horizons, given me great experiences, but it hasn't made me more intelligent, more enlightened or a better person. Travel isn't something you NEED, but it is something I love because of my insatiable curiosity to learn and explore. I know INFPs tend to be imaginative and curious so I'm sure many would like to travel, often off the beaten track. And a lot of people in the world - maybe most - don't need to learn a second language. I mean it's a good thing, and it can bring advantages, but only learning one language doesn't make you less worldly or educated or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 07:31 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
I guess this question is pretty general, but I notice a lot of people look down on people who only speak one language (especially Europeans towards Americans, but also Australians, Brits), or who aren't well travelled, not 'worldly', or what they call ignorant. Sometimes it's to feel superior. I've travelled a bit - wouldn't say I'm widely travelled, I guess I am compared to most, but it's mostly interest and moreover money that allows me this luxury. It has broadened my horizons, given me great experiences, but it hasn't made me more intelligent, more enlightened or a better person. Travel isn't something you NEED, but it is something I love because of my insatiable curiosity to learn and explore. I know INFPs tend to be imaginative and curious so I'm sure many would like to travel, often off the beaten track. And a lot of people in the world - maybe most - don't need to learn a second language. I mean it's a good thing, and it can bring advantages, but only learning one language doesn't make you less worldly or educated or anything.
People looking down to others for any reason should not be took seriously.
In all of things, there will ever exist something in which we will be better than others, and something worst.
i can speak five languages while my manager speaks only two (Portuguese and English), and I travelled much more than the average of my workmates. But he is manager and has much more academic degrees, while I don't.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:14 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
I think that traveling can broaden your horizons and enrich your life experiences. However, by no means does it automatically make you a better person than someone who hasn't traveled much. There are many ways to become enlightened.

Besides, most people who travel only get to experience a very thin slice of the countries they are visiting. The world is much too big of a place for the human mind to fully comprehend. Of course, people will never tell you this. LOL.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:23 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
I don't agree with people looking down on others but it is equally true that many many people who are less travelled and/or speaking only one language do tend to be overly dismissive about these things and how they can enrich your world-view and outlook on life.

So it cuts both ways.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:09 AM

349 posts, read 488,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think that traveling can broaden your horizons and enrich your life experiences. However, by no means does it automatically make you a better person than someone who hasn't traveled much. There are many ways to become enlightened.

Besides, most people who travel only get to experience a very thin slice of the countries they are visiting. The world is much too big of a place for the human mind to fully comprehend. Of course, people will never tell you this. LOL.
Definitely. Especially if they travel in groups, stay in tourist areas, stay in chain hotels.etc.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:23 PM

440 posts, read 662,378 times
In Asia, people who have travelled a lot, studied in a foreign developed country or good at a foreign languge are generally viewed positively.

In Western countries, a locally raised white or black person who can speak non local languages excluding English are generally viewed positively.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:50 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
There are many people who have the financial means to travel or learn foreign languages (especially in my family) but for whatever reason just don't have any interest or desire to do so. When they travel, it's always to those all inclusive beach resorts in the winter which for me would be a real bore. I definitely don't consider myself any better than them. They are just different people with different priorities in life I guess. The only thing is that sometimes I find that because of these differences I have a hard time relating to them. Any one else had this problem with their family or friends (especially ones from childhood)?

Old 05-27-2015, 01:21 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
There are many people who have the financial means to travel or learn foreign languages (especially in my family) but for whatever reason just don't have any interest or desire to do so. When they travel, it's always to those all inclusive beach resorts in the winter which for me would be a real bore. I definitely don't consider myself any better than them. They are just different people with different priorities in life I guess. The only thing is that sometimes I find that because of these differences I have a hard time relating to them. Any one else had this problem with their family or friends (especially ones from childhood)?
Yes and yes.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:27 PM

360 posts, read 982,662 times
I agree that there are many ways to be enlightened rather than by travelling extensively.

But I do think people get influenced in their thinking or behaviour more by personally experiencing what they have been through during their travels than when they hear it from someone else.

I generally find well-travelled people to have a broader view of things in life and a wider network of friends and connections from all over the world.

How enlightened you are by travelling also depends on your own personal experiences, who you travelled with, whether you travelled alone, whether you met the locals in the host countries, and et cetera.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:37 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I don't think anyone should feel superior because they speak more than one language or are well traveled. But people that fall into these categories are usually looked up at because of these traits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World