Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 02:15 PM

86 posts, read 126,902 times

Advertisements

I've never understood this. For a country with a culture that encourages criticism they are yet so incredibly sensitive when they're on the receiving end of it.

e.g. American - "Canadians are all a bunch of passive aggressive *******s with a deep inferiority complex."
Canadian - "Lol. Okay."

Same Canadian - "Americans are highly sensitive to criticism, despite their habit of directing it at others."
Same American - "You can't generalize all of us. How unfair of you. Waahhhh!!!"

Old 05-31-2015, 02:20 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
I would venture to say that Americans amongst themselves, though quite critical of this country, are very defensive when they hear outsiders attack it, especially with pre-conceived stereotypes. But I guess you could say this applies to other nationalities being defensive when others attack their country also.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:22 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Sensitive and critical compared to what ethnicity, just curious? I can think of cultures that are more so therefore I don't see Americans as being ultra-sensitive.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:28 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
The United States being such a popular/powerful country receives a lot of attention, good attention and bad attention... many Americans will find it overwhelming/annoying/mean all the negative things people say about the country..... Americans can never do anything right, people put words in our mouths and argue against them.

Like on this forum i'll made some threads "what country is the most multicultural country in the world" "country with the best selection of cities" for some members those thread titles somehow translated to "USA is the best country in the world!"

Old 05-31-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I would venture to say that Americans amongst themselves, though quite critical of this country, are very defensive when they hear outsiders attack it, especially with pre-conceived stereotypes. But I guess you could say this applies to other nationalities being defensive when others attack their country also.
Or you scapegoat other nationalities lol. They're usually only defensive after being offensive initially.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Sensitive and critical compared to what ethnicity, just curious? I can think of cultures that are more so therefore I don't see Americans as being ultra-sensitive.
Americans are singlehandedly the most critical people on the planet. I just find it incredibly ironic that they are likely also the most sensitive.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:35 PM

Well, maybe. There is a subset of Americans who think in terms of: "We are no. 1"
But have you ever heard of Aussies and Brits on the attack? They can give offense very quickly first also.
Canadians are usually way too nice.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Well, maybe. There is a subset of Americans who think in terms of: "We are no. 1"
But have you ever heard of Aussies and Brits on the attack? They can give offense very quickly first also.
Canadians are usually way too nice.
A "subset" lol. I think it's a little more than that.

Not like Americans. No other country has the same culture of expressive criticism like Americans do, and that has a lot to do with it. If an American doesn't like something it inherently must mean that that thing is inferior and apt for criticism.

Other nationalities, including Brits and Aussies, mind their own business or stick to the golden rule, unless they are provoked first.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:45 PM

Well, there I disagree with you. I think you are generalizing wildly perhaps with a hidden animus towards the US.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:45 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,031 times
I'm an American and from what I see the overwhelming majority of American's could really care less what others think. Most really don't care what happens beyond our boarders. It's almost as if the majority of the country lives on an island separated from the rest of the planet and have little interest on what goes on outside of the island, unless they are drawn in by politicians, then they get all excited.

I live in the midwest and it's shocking how little thought goes into everywhere else. The ignorance is shocking. Many couldn't find Germany on a map, even if you gave them a hint that it is in Europe. I take interest in the World beyond the US, but if I start a conversation on anything outside of a war or jobs exported to China I receive a glazed over confused look as if I'm taking about quantum physics or something. Believe me, for the most part they could give a rats a@@ what anyone thinks.

So to answer the question, no they are neither sensitive or critical. Willfully ignorant is a better way to put it.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 05-31-2015 at 03:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World