Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 03:11 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,079 times

Advertisements

Of course it is highly depends on your career if you have already established one.

Based on your line of work, which country do you think will give you the best career opportunities? Which country will give you benefits in terms of:

Market demand?
Better salary and raise?
Promotion?
Good working culture?
Achieving work-life balance?

I am a senior level engineer working in a high-tech manufacturing industry on a research development department I feel that these countries can offer better (or even best) career opportunities for me.

1. US (esp Silicon Valley) - this is the technology hub of the universe. Tech demands still remain bullish but there is always competition against China and Europe. Salary is ok since it will also be matched by high COL. The competition among the top-notch professionals can hardly give you a promotion. I love the working culture of the Americans and there is a always work-life balance in most part of USA. It is just so tough to get a working visa for foreigners.

2. Singapore - this tiny island state is becoming a knowledge-based for tech manufacturing sector. An annex of the technology and innovations from US, China and Europe. The working culture is a mix of western and eastern culture and may vary from company to company. Salary and and other perks are also enticing. Visa requirements for foreign expats are not as tedious as in US and EU.

3. EU (Germany/Austria/Netherlands) - same league as in the US in terms of market demand, working culture and promotions. I feel that EU in general is homogeneous region and has less racial diversity compared to US. For foreigners outside EU, it is also not easy to get a working visa in EU.

4. China - promising country for career-driven engineers/managers. Salary is NOT a problem if you are well qualified for a good post, you can get all the perks that you like esp for managerial level. Despite of the huge population by China, they are still hiring highly qualified people from around the globe. But the country is not for everyone, culture is totally different.

5. Malaysia - a developing country with a developed tech industry. There is a shortage of engineers/managers in this sector in Malaysia. i like that the country itself is friendly towards foreign expats. Salary may not be so attractive for mid level but COL is relatively cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 10:43 AM

653 posts, read 743,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post

2. Singapore - this tiny island state is becoming a knowledge-based for tech manufacturing sector. An annex of the technology and innovations from US, China and Europe. The working culture is a mix of western and eastern culture and may vary from company to company. Salary and and other perks are also enticing. Visa requirements for foreign expats are not as tedious as in US and EU.

Once upon a time, I was incredibly career driven, in my old workplace, I worked a steady 17 hours a day 7 days a week in the hope of securing a promotion.

In the end, all of my dreams crumbled against me all because I was discriminated against in my old workplace, bullied outright - just because I had yo take time off from work for reservist military training.

Don't get me wrong, I am a firm supporter of reservist military training, I strongly support a strong military, strongly support universal conscription and defense policy but when a hard worker is discriminated for that, Singapore's work culture can sometimes seem like a nightmare.

Last edited by tigerbalm1985; 06-03-2015 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-04-2015, 12:47 AM

468 posts, read 615,903 times
New Zealand, Australia, anywhere in China (particularly Hong Kong) and Japan, because these places seem to be developing at such a rapid and bustling pace.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:19 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
I would add UAE to this list. They have a huge foreign work force and the work programs (IT, Architecture, Civic planning, energy, Healthcare, etc.) there would be hard match anywhere else in the world - especially important for a person looking for experience.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:23 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
I would add UAE to this list. They have a huge foreign work force and the work programs (IT, Architecture, Civic planning, energy, Healthcare, etc.) there would be hard match anywhere else in the world - especially important for a person looking for experience.
the UAE is one big con , contracts mean nothing as the ruling family can change the law at the drop of a hat so its a waste of time taking someone to court , especially if its a sector of the economy which the ruling family have their tentacles in , I invested some money in off plan property there ten years ago , the developer went bust and my contract was not worth the paper it was printed on

Old 06-04-2015, 04:30 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Once upon a time, I was incredibly career driven, in my old workplace, I worked a steady 17 hours a day 7 days a week in the hope of securing a promotion.

In the end, all of my dreams crumbled against me all because I was discriminated against in my old workplace, bullied outright - just because I had yo take time off from work for reservist military training.

Don't get me wrong, I am a firm supporter of reservist military training, I strongly support a strong military, strongly support universal conscription and defense policy but when a hard worker is discriminated for that, Singapore's work culture can sometimes seem like a nightmare.
That's unfortunate, and quite unbelievable as well. It's so bizarre that someone would be bullied because he hasn't served conscription, it's not like it's any of anyone else's business.

But I thought in countries that have conscription you usually do that after education? At least it's how things work here.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:07 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That's unfortunate, and quite unbelievable as well. It's so bizarre that someone would be bullied because he hasn't served conscription, it's not like it's any of anyone else's business.

But I thought in countries that have conscription you usually do that after education? At least it's how things work here.
In Singapore after your A levels at 18 you go the serve your NS and enter University after the 2 yrs.

But if you are going the polytechnic diploma route, you go polytechnic after secondary school and you do your NS after your graduate from the polytechnic at round 19-20 yr old

Hope you understand what i explained here

Old 06-04-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Huh??????

What I mean is that after I served 2 years of full-time conscription, then I joined the private sector workforce as a civilian, I had to return to military training every year for a few weeks (at least 1 whole week at the very minimum).

Think of it as refresher training to keep up the military skills.

The best part? My boss was previously on one of those "civilian-liaison" committees to support reservist men.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:53 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Huh??????

What I mean is that after I served 2 years of full-time conscription, then I joined the private sector workforce as a civilian, I had to return to military training every year for a few weeks (at least 1 whole week at the very minimum).

Think of it as refresher training to keep up the military skills.

The best part? My boss was previously on one of those "civilian-liaison" committees to support reservist men.
Oh ok, I misunderstood, we have that here as well, probably not every year though.

Why would they bully you just because you had to return back to the military annually? That's such bull****.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Oh ok, I misunderstood, we have that here as well, probably not every year though.

Why would they bully you just because you had to return back to the military annually? That's such bull****.
Because the boss thinks that when the worker is not at work, the company's work is suffering; i.e "your work is suffering because you need to go for military remedial training".

My ex-boss whom bullied me, she was one of those whom think that "hard work" = "being present in front of the boss"; hence, if you are going away for military remedial training, she thinks the worker is a skivver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World