Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 05:21 PM

82 posts, read 120,705 times

Advertisements

Just curious here. I'm Christian and practicing but not a zealot by any means, my belief in regards to religion and the bible is that the spirit is more important than the letter of the book (just like the law) except for when things are plainly laid out (y'all know which verses I am talking about but I don't want to debate) needless to say nobody is perfect and whilst there are some great translations out there all of them are done by humans and all humans have an agenda whether intentional or not. Also sometimes the nuances of language get lost in translation and words have double meanings (random example - that angle is obtuse; stop being obtuse) but y'all get what I mean. Didn't mean to get off topic but I wanted to preface this so that it isn't seeming like I am some zealot looking to get away from Babylon and relocate to some righteous place that doesn't exist.

Anyhow...

We all know the most Islamic religious country would either be Saudi Arabia or Iran depending on the branch of Islam (Sunnite or Shiite), the most Hindu Country would be the only majority Hindu country India, the most Buddhist country (though correct me if I am wrong but Buddhists aren't religious in the Abrahamic sense) would be somewhere like Thailand where it is the majority and official religion and there are lots of monastery's, Tibet as well but it's not a country at this time.

If speaking about Christianity, it would likely be somewhere in Africa like Uganda. But Africa is a place of extremes, extreme Christians in Uganda, extreme Moslems in Nigeria like Boko Haram, extreme wealth from resources like oil and diamonds and also corruption but also extreme poverty and disparity in places like South Africa where you have lovely rich cities like Cape Town but also slums where the majority population has HIV and lives on pennies per day, So to avoid this extreme I am saying besides sub Saharan Africa.

So what's the most religious Christian country? Don't say the USA because that's not so, the majority of folks are Christian but most are only Christmas and Easter Christians outside of the Southeast. Utah is majority Mormon as is one small Polynesian Island that I forgot the name of.

So what's the most religious Christian nation? Philippines? Malta? Somewhere in Latin America? Vatican City has no population that isn't employed by the Church it's not a country where people live and work etc.

Sorry for my grammar I am typing this from a phone. I promise I am not so illiterate!

Thoughts? Nothing inflammatory or offensive to any religion or faith, they are all precious to someone no need to be rude

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 05:28 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times
Myanmar? South Korea? Poland?

Old 06-03-2015, 06:33 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Peru, Moldova, Armenia, Timor-Leste, Papua New Guinea

Old 06-03-2015, 06:35 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Myanmar? South Korea? Poland?
Myanmar

Old 06-03-2015, 08:33 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,392,194 times
I would go for the Phillipines, Samoa, Tonga, Paraguay, Guatemala, El Salvador.

Also, as a trivia side note, India is not the only Hindu majority nation. Nepal is also a Hindu country and was until recently the world's one and only Hindu monarchy. Nepal also has a sizable Buddhist population.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:35 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
I would say the Philippines have a more outward display of faith but then many may live their personal lives as Sunday morning only in check the box and be seen just as you are saying many in other countries are Christmas and Easter only on the obligatory days, However their family laws did match lock step with Catholic Church canon law, except Muslims (not atheist or other Christian sects) are exempt from some provisions until the government started funding birth control last year.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:32 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Buckhead View Post
Utah is majority Mormon as is one small Polynesian Island that I forgot the name of.
You are probably thinking of Tonga, which is actually about 25% Mormon.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:46 AM

349 posts, read 489,019 times
I agree. America's religiosity is overrated. It seems still mostly secular/materialist and not really very spiritual.

It's kind of hard to measure. A lot of countries in Oceania are pretty Christian, like Samoa, Solomon Islands, East Timor, PNG. It's hard to say with Catholic nations: they seem really into the ceremonies and festivities yet I don't know how much it influences their daily lives. Eastern Europe tends to be more religions than the west, and there are a few others like Armenia in the Middle East. Northern Ireland might be up there, the most evangelical place in Europe.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:31 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,392,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
I agree. America's religiosity is overrated. It seems still mostly secular/materialist and not really very spiritual.
America as a whole is secular, but then factor in that we are a really big country.

The Bible Belt extends from the deep south well into southeren Illinois, Indiana, then over to Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. Even the some northern planes states like North Dakota have alot of believers.

The main reason why there is a lesser influence of religion on daily life in these areas has been through court decisions and the migration of people from the north and California. In short, if the "Bible Belt" were a nation, it would have tens of millions of citizens and encompass a greater area than most European nations.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:51 AM

349 posts, read 489,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
America as a whole is secular, but then factor in that we are a really big country.

The Bible Belt extends from the deep south well into southeren Illinois, Indiana, then over to Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. Even the some northern planes states like North Dakota have alot of believers.

The main reason why there is a lesser influence of religion on daily life in these areas has been through court decisions and the migration of people from the north and California. In short, if the "Bible Belt" were a nation, it would have tens of millions of citizens and encompass a greater area than most European nations.
It's funny though because at the same time Southern culture seems sort of hedonistic...like sin on Saturday, repent on Sunday...highest number of teen pregnancies, that sort of thing. New Orleans, Atlanta.etc are seen as hotbeds of sin by some. I heard (not sure if it's true) that Houston has both the most number of strip clubs and churches per capita of any major city in America. That seems to sum up that duality very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World