Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 04:47 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACelticPrincess View Post
I notice the two posters that replied to me are from Ulster, interesting. My grandfather came from Derry in the 1950s and he is still living in that era in his mind.
Really where is he from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 05:00 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,668 times
You have to understand that there were 2 major waves of the Irish along with smaller ones. The first was around the potato famine. The second wave was around 1900-1940, although that second wave slowed a bit in 1921 when quotas were instituted. The descendents of that generation tend to identify with Ireland more. They were raised by Irish immigrants or they are the grandchild of one. That wave of Irish people didn't come here because they hated Ireland. They came because of the Irish Civil war, for religious reason, for better opportunities, but many of them viewed themselves as Irish until the day they died. They had a major influence on the Northeast.
It's much easier to feel Irish -American or Italian- american if your grandparents were Irish.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:03 PM

I have connections in Philadelphia but they moved in the 1890's.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:11 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,668 times
I also think that my friends who had Irish Granparents were entitled to be Irish Citizens via their Grandparents, and I'm pretty sure some were Dual American/Irish citizens though raised in the USA. Ireland has generous citizenship laws.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:07 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
I also think that my friends who had Irish Granparents were entitled to be Irish Citizens via their Grandparents, and I'm pretty sure some were Dual American/Irish citizens though raised in the USA. Ireland has generous citizenship laws.
Yes if you have one Irish Grandparent and can get their birth certificate you can obtain Irish citizenship. I would suggest that anyone who can get Irish citizenship through a grandparent get it before they have children as then you can pass it on to your children. If you obtain Irish citizenship through a Grandparent after the birth of your children they can't obtain Irish citizenship.

If you are entitled to register, your Irish citizenship is effective from the date of registration. The Irish citizenship of successive generations may be maintained in this way by each generation ensuring their registration in the Foreign Births Register before the birth of the next generation.

Since 1 July 1986, a person registered in the Foreign Births Entry Book after 1986 is deemed to be an Irish citizen only from the date of his/her entry in the Register and not from the date of birth. This means that children born to that person before his/her date of entry in the Register are not entitled to citizenship.

Irish citizenship through birth or descent

Old 06-11-2015, 10:37 AM

349 posts, read 488,467 times
Yeah Boston might be a good guess.

Australia is also very Irish. A lot of the convicts were actually Irish (Ireland was ruled by Britain in the 18th and 19th centuries), I've heard like 1/4 to 1/3. And you had a lot of Irish immigrants, from the potato famine, and because life was seen as better here. The Irish have influenced Australian culture a lot: the Eureka stockade, a lot of our famous poets like Banjo Patterson, country music in Australia. The Australian Labor Party (ALP) has always had a strong Irish Catholic component, and there was a division between the dominant Anglo-Protestants and Irish-Catholics. A lot of Australians have Irish ancestry. In Melbourne where I live at least 1/4 of people might have some Irish ancestry, or at least 1/4 of European descended people. Plus we get a lot of Irish backpackers, people on working holidays, tourists, and there's still a decent flow of Irish immigrants along with those from the UK.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:07 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Irish Americans annoy me, they are really really offensive. They really have no clue what they're talking about, always going to the extreme.
It's not like you to be extreme, is it?

Old 06-11-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
Yeah Boston might be a good guess.

Australia is also very Irish. A lot of the convicts were actually Irish (Ireland was ruled by Britain in the 18th and 19th centuries), I've heard like 1/4 to 1/3. And you had a lot of Irish immigrants, from the potato famine, and because life was seen as better here. The Irish have influenced Australian culture a lot: the Eureka stockade, a lot of our famous poets like Banjo Patterson, country music in Australia. The Australian Labor Party (ALP) has always had a strong Irish Catholic component, and there was a division between the dominant Anglo-Protestants and Irish-Catholics. A lot of Australians have Irish ancestry. In Melbourne where I live at least 1/4 of people might have some Irish ancestry, or at least 1/4 of European descended people. Plus we get a lot of Irish backpackers, people on working holidays, tourists, and there's still a decent flow of Irish immigrants along with those from the UK.
Its not anglo protestants but ulster scots. I don't know if I like the Irish backpackers, very embaressing drinking and making idiots of themselves. They probably couldn't spot me though as I don't walk around in those revolting GAA shirts.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:47 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Definitely Boston.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:17 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACelticPrincess View Post
Culturally and demographically.

My vote goes to the Boston area. My town south of Boston is majority Irish descended, and in the area of Boston I am from (Neponset, Dorchester) you hear plenty of Irish brogues on the street, and not from older folks but from young recent immigrants. The view from my grandparents back window is a mural of Eamon de Valera and an Orange, White and Green tricolor.

Thoughts and opinions?

boston is seen as the most irish city outside Ireland , Liverpool second
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World