Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 05:00 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post
Same here. My parents have always said I'm a picky eater, but they won't even try sushi.

They're urban people, but they're baby boomer generation. It's not like they've even said it's disgusting or anything, it literally doesn't appeal to them to the point where they haven't even thought about trying it.
Seriously, sushi is not a particularly tasty food, not even among Japanese foods--which categorically are not as tasty as the foods of surrounding countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 05:29 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times
This old country bumpkin has never tried it and have no desire to. We do have a rather large sushi bar/restaurant in town, but I'm not a fan of eating any meats or fish raw. I'll have some pickled herring if it's served as an appetizer, but that's as close as I'll come to raw fish.

I'm also not a fan of Japanese food. I love Chinese but never could enjoy Japanese, even when I visited there years ago.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:44 AM

349 posts, read 488,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
There has been a boom of sushi places in the last few years, especially in Northern Italy, it wouldn't surprise if it ende up becoming mainstream soon, older people still prefer to eat traditional food b ut that's because it is what they are used to
In Italy I saw little non-Italian food...aside from McDonald's mostly a few Chinese restaurants, I saw one Indian, and a few Japanese/sushi places. One place was even serving wasabi gelato!

Old 06-14-2015, 07:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
My husband and I are in our fifties. We've both been sushi/sashimi fans for at least fifteen years, maybe longer. We live in a mid size town in northeast Texas.

In our town, we have locally owned Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Greek, and Indian restaurants (owned by people of those ethnicities). We also have several locally owned Asian Fusion style restaurants that serve a mix of Asian foods.

I have yet to meet an Asian cuisine I don't like, but my favorites are Thai, Vietnamese, and Korean. That being said, sometimes I really am in the mood for the more subtle flavors of Japanese food, including their sashimi and sushi rolls. What I do NOT care for is the "Americanized" version of sushi, with all the heavy fried additives and sauces. Blech.

People of all ages around here seem to really enjoy sushi and other Asian cuisines. However, my parents, who are in their late 70s, won't touch sushi or sashimi. Neither will my inlaws. But they won't eat raw oysters either, so clearly they are deranged.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:24 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,279 times
ive never eaten sushi ( hope to change that however )

Old 06-15-2015, 11:13 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,239,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
We have a Japanese restaurant in town but I have not seen any white trash there yet(we don't call them rednecks over here). I think those would prefer fast food and it suits there budget better too probably.

They have seen you though

Old 06-15-2015, 11:33 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,121 times
Hereabouts in Virginny folks don't cotton to sushi 'less we kin shoot it ourselves.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:42 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,765,776 times
I lived in big metropolitan areas all my life, so sushi is one of daily selections that we have (we meaning me and my friends and co workers, who are both asians and non-asians) aside of korean, morrocoan, greek, peruvian etc etc cuisines.
But I learned that in smaller cities (I was in Des Moines and Webster City in Iowa for an interview), it is very hip to eat sushi. And when I was there for an interview in Webster City, old people actually ate sushi!
So I guess in the era of global information sharing thru internet, even people in smaller cities including seniors and them red-necks are more receptive to different cultures including their cuisines.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:19 PM

722 posts, read 1,327,477 times
Ive never seen a "red neck" eating in a Sushi restaurant? and you will never see a red neck or hillbilly in a Vietnamese restaurant, they are still angry about losing the war in Vietnam and wont touch the stuff, especially the older ones over 60.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:27 AM

440 posts, read 661,779 times
Yes, and they hate everything Japanese.

The reason is disliking Japan due to World War Two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World