Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:51 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

In Duluth, Minnesota we were treated to sushi and other Japanese and Japanese-American (e.g. California rolls, Hanburugu) food decades-late in 2006 by a restaurant called "Zen House", opened by an Okinawan native after her children, my classmates, graduated high school. It was and is located in a space connected to a gas station after a gyro joint failed there several years ago. It even has a characteristic drive-through, although it has never been used as the restaurant has some pretense of elegance.

Since her opening, she opened up a second location lunch-only location downtown to serve the local office worker bee population, and two other independent operations began in Duluth by 2010, so you could say we've caught up to near average in our local sushi joint count.

Although the owner of the original restaurant's opening was often greeted by cries of "sushi is bait!", Duluthians soon came to like sushi and other Japanese food and hence the restaurant format's popularity. However, people, especially those 40-50 and over, as well as many self-proclaimed "rednecks", have the idea that sushi in particular means "raw fish" and is only suitable for bait, when in reality sushi rolls can have egg, vegetable, cooked land meat, etc. fillings. I also think this stigma extends to other items on their menus, with the exception of teriyaki steak. Does this perception and disgust towards sushi exist in your realm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 11:25 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
In the boonier areas of norcal and the PNW, they seem somewhat receptive. Socal too, to perhaps a lesser extent.

Older folks in SF, LA, NYC, BOS, CHI, etc don't seem to mind it, since those are and have long been multicultural cities.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:29 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Everybody eats sushi here, old or young, educated or idiots. Probably not in the countryside though but I don't live there so what do I know. Even convenience stores have them, like 2USD a box or something. I get a box when I don't know what to eat for lunch...and recently that's like 2 or 3 times per week lmao.

But it's harder to find really good sushi though.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:12 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,956,021 times
Craploads of sushi places in Melbourne. Almost as common as your fast food joints like Mcd's and KFC in the city. It's obviously very popular with people, and I've seen old people eat it a few times.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:09 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Sushi is actually the name for the sticky rice that's used, not the fish and as you mentioned, it can contain many different things. I have found that people in many locations become open to sushi. I had some about a week ago in a rural town in northern Virginia, not a place one would expect to find it.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:36 AM

520 posts, read 532,433 times
Im generally repulsed by most Asian food as a vegetarian. I mean there is meat eating and then there is Asian meat eating, and those people eat anything.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:51 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Where I live sushi spans all socio-economic categories. It's very mainstream now.

Sure it may be slightly more popular among certain groups but it's far from being predominantly an élite thing. You regularly see construction guys in mud-caked workboots having sushi for lunch.

It's also true of other ethnic foods like Lebanese Shawarma, Pad Thai, etc. which are all very mainstream here as well.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:10 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
In Duluth, Minnesota we were treated to sushi and other Japanese and Japanese-American (e.g. California rolls, Hanburugu) food decades-late in 2006 by a restaurant called "Zen House", opened by an Okinawan native after her children, my classmates, graduated high school. It was and is located in a space connected to a gas station after a gyro joint failed there several years ago. It even has a characteristic drive-through, although it has never been used as the restaurant has some pretense of elegance.

Since her opening, she opened up a second location lunch-only location downtown to serve the local office worker bee population, and two other independent operations began in Duluth by 2010, so you could say we've caught up to near average in our local sushi joint count.

Although the owner of the original restaurant's opening was often greeted by cries of "sushi is bait!", Duluthians soon came to like sushi and other Japanese food and hence the restaurant format's popularity. However, people, especially those 40-50 and over, as well as many self-proclaimed "rednecks", have the idea that sushi in particular means "raw fish" and is only suitable for bait, when in reality sushi rolls can have egg, vegetable, cooked land meat, etc. fillings. I also think this stigma extends to other items on their menus, with the exception of teriyaki steak. Does this perception and disgust towards sushi exist in your realm?
Sushi is probably the most common restaurant food in Vancouver, cheaper then most fast food at the low end, and everyone eats it, young and old. It's part of the city's culture, we have unique variations and sushi traditions here that are different from both Japanese and "Japanese-American" styles, although very high quality traditional sushi is not difficult to find. British Columbian towns and cities outside the area have been influenced by the city and sushi is not an uncommon food in other areas of the province, and is enjoyed by all demographics. It's all the more surprising because while Vancouver has a Japanese community with a very long history and strong ties to Japan, the community is not particularly large, and most sushi places here are run by other peoples, often the Chinese (but that's unsurprising as a third of everyone in Vancouver is Chinese).

Old 06-12-2015, 04:45 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
We have a Japanese restaurant in town but I have not seen any white trash there yet(we don't call them rednecks over here). I think those would prefer fast food and it suits there budget better too probably.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:55 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Sushi is probably the most common restaurant food in Vancouver, cheaper then most fast food at the low end, and everyone eats it, young and old. It's part of the city's culture, we have unique variations and sushi traditions here that are different from both Japanese and "Japanese-American" styles, although very high quality traditional sushi is not difficult to find. British Columbian towns and cities outside the area have been influenced by the city and sushi is not an uncommon food in other areas of the province, and is enjoyed by all demographics. It's all the more surprising because while Vancouver has a Japanese community with a very long history and strong ties to Japan, the community is not particularly large, and most sushi places here are run by other peoples, often the Chinese (but that's unsurprising as a third of everyone in Vancouver is Chinese).
The Japanese joints in the Minneapolis / St. Paul and surrounding areas are usually operated by Hmongs and perhaps Vietnamese. Same with the Thai operations!

Duluth once had three Thai restaurants up, but the only one remaining is the first one, operated by a Thai woman married to an American husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World