Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 06:19 AM

349 posts, read 491,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent hypnotist View Post
OP, this in an interesting issue. I will tell you my experiences.

My family is totally Anglo [UK]. When we came to Australia in the late 70's I was very young. There was racism against us. Hard to believe but there was. When my folks took me to the kinder playgroup we got booted out by Australians. As soon as they heard our British accent they told us to **** off: "you're not one of us". We had to find another playgroup.

In a way there is still racism. Albeit of a more subtle sort. My folks often get angry because if they say anything bad about Australia people just write off as a "whinging Pom" and look at them "funny". Whereas if a person with an Australian accent criticises Australia they are allowed to. I have to add that my folks have pretty strong [ North UK] British accents.

So I absolutely agree that Anglo-Celtic descended Australians are not seen as fully Australian. That was the case in the late 70's. It's still the case in 2015. Another thing is that it may or may not to whatever extent be a consequence of that: it is that in the Frankston/Mornington [ SE Melbourne] area it has a high % of Anglo Celtic people like us in the ABS statistics. So we have in a way congregated.

I ask myself if the reverse applies. In a way it does. I don't feel in any way connected to the "typical Australian" stereotype. I look at the blonde surfer or the ANZAC thing as something foreign to me. In a way I see such "Australians" as foreigners of a sort who are very different from me.
Yes there is and was some discrimination against Brits, but I still feel British immigrants were a lot more accepted in general than others, due to obvious similarities with the host culture. New Zealanders also experienced similar. Demographically unlike most other groups, Brits, as well as Kiwis and South Africans, tend not to concentrate in the cities. In Perth, the most British city (we have more UK born than either Melbourne or Sydney despite being less than half the size), the northern coastal, southern coastal and some southern suburbs are well known for British. Some are as much as 35-40% British born, which is unheard of in Melbourne. Many go for the lifestyle of open space, sunshine, warm weather: the opposite of Britain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 02:04 AM

42 posts, read 16,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
Thats true. Yes and infact they say our heights will decline more because of changing demographics in this century. I think weve tapped out health improvement methods of raising heights. Unless we solve the current obesity/ diabetes trend soon and see some remarkable new heightening effect from a better diet. But yes you all did seem taller.
Obesity and diabetes have next to nothing to do with height.

The US has average heights on par with Canada, the UK, Australia - White American men and women are half an inch taller, on average.

We've traditionally been one of the tallest countries in the world. We (and other countries) only decreased with increased immigration.

Australians don't seem taller. Statistically, they're the same. Unless you're focusing on the Hispanic American population...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World