Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 11:58 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,258,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I always think of Australia as Canada south, or Canada as Australia north. There just seems to be a lot of similarities between us.
Yeah i can understand that comparison. I think of Canada the same as Australia as well, in that regard. Both seem like great countries. Both seem very laid back also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 12:15 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,258,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
They were participating members of the Iraq invasion, Afghanistan invasion and have contributed to air strikes in Syria/Iraq - so apparently not.

Canada is the same, actually - these countries don't have the power or the might go wage their own invasions but they have no qualms joining America for no reason.
And? So did a lot of other countries. We also have troops there and are doing air strikes in Syria as well.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:40 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunication View Post
I don't think so, Australians and maybe New Zealanders don't have that imperialistic gene that Americans and the British have, we're more like the Irish in that we just want to be left alone to live our lives.

In fact the British have been known to call us the Irish of the south pacific.
both countries are much more british in charechter than irish , especially new Zealand

not saying either has an imperialistic gene , I don't think any nation has inherently speaking , its down to size and strength at a particular time in history , Sweden was pretty handy at the old invasion a thousand years ago , so too Mongolia

Old 06-21-2015, 02:48 PM

244 posts, read 361,918 times
I don't understand the statement. If Australia and New Zealand were in Europe or North America then they wouldn't be Australia or New Zealand - they would have none of the traits that are distinct to that region (socially or geographically).

Old 06-21-2015, 03:56 PM

598 posts, read 955,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
both countries are much more british in charechter than irish , especially new Zealand

not saying either has an imperialistic gene , I don't think any nation has inherently speaking , its down to size and strength at a particular time in history , Sweden was pretty handy at the old invasion a thousand years ago , so too Mongolia
It was a figure of speech, but we're not talking about ancient history we're talking about present day and today Americans and the British are the most imperialistic countries in the world, Australia not so much.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:18 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
"Bigger" superpowers? Neither is a superpower as it stands right now.

So, basically, you're looking at Canada and the US. Except Australia wouldn't be anywhere near US super power levels. It would just be Canada, and smaller Canada.
Australia is only just behind Canada now as 12th largest economy in the world with Canada at 11. On a GDP per capita basis we are bigger. Agree, this doesn't make Australia or Canada a "superpower", and if Australia were in Europe, it wouldn't be Australia.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:51 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Australia is only just behind Canada now as 12th largest economy in the world with Canada at 11. On a GDP per capita basis we are bigger. Agree, this doesn't make Australia or Canada a "superpower", and if Australia were in Europe, it wouldn't be Australia.
Don't get too excited about GDP per cap....The difference in GDP per Capita is extraordinarily marginal and if Australia were to gain 13 million people to match Canada's population it too would probably take a bit of a hit in the GDP per cap department.. The more people in a nation, the harder it is to maintain that high GDP per cap number. The U.S is the one country with a very large population that has been able to maintain very high GDP per cap numbers.. Most other nations with high GDP per cap numbers have fairly low populations like Canada, Australia, Norway, Denmark, Qatar etc. Anyway if you look at PPP measures which means how much will I get for the dollar I spend in relative terms the GDP PPP of both nations is very very close - extraordinarily so like twins but it is indeed cheaper in Canada for goods and services to offset the lower GDP per cap nominally .... PPP comparisons are thus more useful as real life measures of COL... There is practically zero difference in QOL between a Canadian and Australian..

As for the countries themselves - they both have large economies but neither are economic or military superpowers.. The problem with both countries is we simply don't have the population to gain that status.. Both countries would need to triple their population while maintaining relative per head affluence to start to gain traction as 'superpowers' - As a matter of fact, I think Canada and Australia will probably be knocked down a few notches over the next decade or so in terms of overall GDP numbers as emerging economies with large populations start to gain traction.. In a decade from now Canada we will still probably be 1 or 2 notches above Australia in overall GDP though South Korea and Mexico will surge past us both.

In the meantime both will have to be happy with 'middle' power status and any delusions of grandeur are just that - delusions.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-21-2015 at 07:23 PM..

Old 06-21-2015, 07:54 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
They were participating members of the Iraq invasion, Afghanistan invasion and have contributed to air strikes in Syria/Iraq - so apparently not.

Canada is the same, actually - these countries don't have the power or the might go wage their own invasions but they have no qualms joining America for no reason.
Interesting perspective, you think nations enter a war for no reason. There are reasons, probably not the one sold (*cough*wmd*cough*) but there are reasons.....

Old 06-21-2015, 08:04 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Don't get too excited about GDP per cap....The difference in GDP per Capita is extraordinarily marginal and if Australia were to gain 13 million people to match Canada's population it too would probably take a bit of a hit in the GDP per cap department.. The more people in a nation, the harder it is to maintain that high GDP per cap number. The U.S is the one country with a very large population that has been able to maintain very high GDP per cap numbers.. Most other nations with high GDP per cap numbers have fairly low populations like Canada, Australia, Norway, Denmark, Qatar etc. Anyway if you look at PPP measures which means how much will I get for the dollar I spend in relative terms the GDP PPP of both nations is very very close - extraordinarily so like twins but it is indeed cheaper in Canada for goods and services to offset the lower GDP per cap nominally .... PPP comparisons are thus more useful as real life measures of COL... There is practically zero difference in QOL between a Canadian and Australian..

As for the countries themselves - they both have large economies but neither are economic or military superpowers.. The problem with both countries is we simply don't have the population to gain that status.. Both countries would need to triple their population while maintaining relative per head affluence to start to gain traction as 'superpowers' - As a matter of fact, I think Canada and Australia will probably be knocked down a few notches over the next decade or so in terms of overall GDP numbers as emerging economies with large populations start to gain traction.. In a decade from now Canada we will still probably be 1 or 2 notches above Australia in overall GDP though South Korea and Mexico will surge past us both.

In the meantime both will have to be happy with 'middle' power status and any delusions of grandeur are just that - delusions.
Thanks, I understand all measures of GDP and PPP. I was replying to a post that implied Canada was significantly larger than Australia currently, when in fact by many measures there is a bees dick of difference.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:52 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Thanks, I understand all measures of GDP and PPP. I was replying to a post that implied Canada was significantly larger than Australia currently, when in fact by many measures there is a bees dick of difference.
How did my post say anything of the sort? I certainly didn't intend for it to read that way. The OP was implying Australia is some kind of super power as it stands right now. It's not. Neither is Canada. I didn't know I had to point that out, since it should be glaringly obvious. What I was saying, was if Australia was in a different part of the globe, it would really just be another version of Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World